You're so American!

Jingthing

I'd still answer that I'm from Texas, mostly because if you grew up there, for some reason you generally identify with it more than saying generic 'American.'   Not a red or blue thing, I don't even vote any more.  

One 'American' thing that is fading a LOT is saying how this or that isn't up to our standards.... back home it's like this.... you hear it less and less because unfortunately so many things back home are getting worse.   We still have better building codes, original ideas, our stock market is the center of the universe, and um... hmm, getting harder to come up with these...   

• Like 1

This thread simply exposed more than a few Anti-Yank members, not that it was needed.  As it seems most of the vocal forum members lean that way.

Explains why the world is the way it is, and why many of us, avoid new 'friendships' with expats.

• Like 1

30 years ago when I was working on the passport control at Heathrow I noticed a tendency for American citizens to fill in the 'Nationality' line on the landing card with their genealogy - so there were sometimes some quite weird combinations like "Irish/Polish/Jewish". Quite a number put "Caucasian", and one of my colleagues used to amuse himself by asking "How are things in Caucasia at the moment?".

It was something peculiar to Americans. I never knew any other nationality that did the same.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A thing about Americans is they clearly see themselves more at the centre of the universe and believe in their specialness - as such it seems like they are more likely to fall for ruses -there is much less likelihood an extreme politician, cult leader or religious leader, would succeed in Australia in the same way as they seem to be able to get a foothold in the States  - our down to earthness and BS meter is too strong to cop it. 

Having said that there does seem to be something in the air in the states that garners success and achievement that you may be less likely to see elsewhere. 

One last comment on the term septic tanks - I have never heard someone use that term in my life and it was probably last used in the 50's or 60's. 

13 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

One last comment on the term septic tanks - I have never heard someone use that term in my life and it was probably last used in the 50's or 60's.

I think its more a UK term (being rhyming slang). I have heard most Aussies replace it with "seppo".

Being cockney rhyming slang, its not derogatory per se, just a side of dark British humour.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Like if someone says California (I used to do that!) it's usually them trying to communicate that they're blue not red as if the foreigner cares about that code.

i always say california because when i answer USA or America, 90% of the time i'm then asked 'where in USA/America ?'  i'm not sure this blue/red thing was ever a reason for anyone, sounds strange to me.

• Like 1