MRI Prostate Scan Costs

Gabe H Coud

9 minutes ago, simon43 said:

54,000 baht at Bumrungrad Hospital about 3 weeks ago.

Thanks but Holy Smokes!

Less than 2 years ago i paid 10,500 at Hua Hin Hospital

And could have got it done at Bangkok Hospital Hua Hin(notorious for overpricing) for 15,700

And yes I know Bumrungrad is luxurious, ive been there

But even so, crikey!

anyway thanks for the intel

Edited by Gabe H Coud

22 minutes ago, simon43 said:

54,000 baht at Bumrungrad Hospital about 3 weeks ago.

Can confirm, 56100 on the 23rd this month. But Multi Parametric, which equivalent to 2 MRIs with different contrast on a 3T machine. Got this pre-approved by my insurance, as everyone else should BTW. 

55 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Can confirm, 56100 on the 23rd this month. But Multi Parametric, which equivalent to 2 MRIs with different contrast on a 3T machine. Got this pre-approved by my insurance, as everyone else should BTW. 

My insurer (April International) refused to cover this cost because I don't have out-patient cover ????  Now they are dragging their feet to pre-approve the biopsy.  Quite frankly, I'm losing patience with April concerning this life-threatening disease (cancer).

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, simon43 said:

My insurer (April International) refused to cover this cost because I don't have out-patient cover ????  Now they are dragging their feet to pre-approve the biopsy.  Quite frankly, I'm losing patience with April concerning this life-threatening disease (cancer).

Per your other posts, hospital  request for pre-approval went to them only about a week ago? That is hardly foot dragging.

24 minutes ago, simon43 said:

is the biopsy MRI Fusion TRUS? if so that normally involves an overnight stay hence in patient

worth mentioning?

I went through this at end of 2018.  Got quoted ฿50k+ for a MP-MRI at several hospitals.  I also got a quote from a good private hospital in London - £1200.  Since I was visiting UK anyway within a couple of weeks I decided to have it done in London.  They did a great job - emailed me a detailed report and provided a link to download all the images. The consultant who wrote the report then called me and explained it all.  They give you a 'PI-RADS' score which indicates the likelihood of cancer. Ranges from 1 (highly unlikely) to 5 (highly likely). They can use the images to guide a biopsy, if necessary.

In the UK NHS Mp-MRI is now done prior to any biopsy and there has been a big investment in Mp-MRI machines.

MRI in Thailand seems to be priced not much different to private hospital in UK......  not a bargain..

Edited by HauptmannUK
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Gabe H Coud said:

Thanks but Holy Smokes!

Less than 2 years ago i paid 10,500 at Hua Hin Hospital

And could have got it done at Bangkok Hospital Hua Hin(notorious for overpricing) for 15,700

And yes I know Bumrungrad is luxurious, ive been there

But even so, crikey!

anyway thanks for the intel

Edited by norbra
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Per your other posts, hospital  request for pre-approval went to them only about a week ago? That is hardly foot dragging.

When I am paying hundreds of dollars each month for the premium, I expect a decision within a couple of days.  In any case, the approval should be a no-brainer. What is there to discuss?  

Anyway, this is off-topic ????

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gabe H Coud said:

is the biopsy MRI Fusion TRUS? if so that normally involves an overnight stay hence in patient

worth mentioning?

It's an MRI Fusion under IV sedation and then home later the same day if you feel fine.

12 minutes ago, Gabe H Coud said:

Appreciate the suggestion but....

For some reason they dont quote Prostate MRI, perhaps because they know the machines arent up to it?!

"MRI scan of the Lower Abdomen is a noninvasive method to create detailed pictures of the area between the hip bones include lymph nodes, blood vessels, and pelvic bones. In men, it includes the bladder, the prostate gland and testicles.

Injection of a special dye (contrast) charged at 2,500 Baht .

Dye (contrast) may be used to enhance the visibility of any abnormalities that are inspected.

** Films are not included **

Price : 7,200 Baht

Edited by Felt 35

Am confused.  Have you been diagnosed with prostate cancer?  If so, you cannot really worry about the price as the alternative is metastasis and death.   You need MRI and biopsy every 12-24 months ....not a doctor but this has happened in my family

42 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

MRI in Thailand seems to be priced not much different to private hospital in UK......  not a bargain..

Indeed, and this makes perfect sense, as I doubt that Thai private hospitals get a discount on MRI gear.

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

It's an MRI Fusion under IV sedation and then home later the same day if you feel fine.

yes thats what i will have after the MRI so they know where to target

Had one 20 months ago, and initially they wanted me overnight.....i talked them out of it

after 2 hours i felt ok to go home, went downstairs to lobby and basically keeled over

Had to go back to recovery ward for another 1.5 hours

4 hours ago, mokwit said:

Around 22,000 at Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital for liver scan a few months ago.

yes they quoted me 10,500 tonight for MRi Prostate with contrast 

they confirmed they have Multi Parametric(Mp) MRI and a 3T machine

my issue is I live in Hua Hin and im not allowed to simply book it and go there

i have to go first and register and then apply for scan

The person told me i would not get a scan same day

can anyoune tell me from experience how long they think i would have to wait for an MRI after registering at this hospital

The person who i spoke to didnt really know and the quality of call was awful (not my phone but theirs!)

7 hours ago, Gabe H Coud said:

yes they quoted me 10,500 tonight for MRi Prostate with contrast 

they confirmed they have Multi Parametric(Mp) MRI and a 3T machine

my issue is I live in Hua Hin and im not allowed to simply book it and go there

i have to go first and register and then apply for scan

The person told me i would not get a scan same day

can anyoune tell me from experience how long they think i would have to wait for an MRI after registering at this hospital

The person who i spoke to didnt really know and the quality of call was awful (not my phone but theirs!)

Could be as long as 4 months. I know the surgeon pulled a lot of strings to get me one before that time.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Yes, waits for scans at government hospital are quite long. So much so that many Thai patients pay privately to have it done at a private imaging center (not an option for this sort of specialized MRI)

noted re Government hospitals wait time

yes that Rachvipa place(Private) mentioned above is 23,000 baht for Prostate with contrast and can do this week

but 1.5T not 3T

Just so we all on same page.....Can you have a 1.5T but still be MP(Multi Parametric)?

And im assuming all 3T's are MP

Thanks all

25 minutes ago, Gabe H Coud said:

Can you have a 1.5T but still be MP(Multi Parametric)?

You can, but 3T is recommended. 

26 minutes ago, Gabe H Coud said:

And im assuming all 3T's are MP

I wouldn't assume this.

You can do a conventional contrast MRI with a 3T machine.

For mp MRI you really have to explicitly ask for it.

23 minutes ago, Lorry said:

You can, but 3T is recommended. 

I wouldn't assume this.

You can do a conventional contrast MRI with a 3T machine.

For mp MRI you really have to explicitly ask for it.

ok so to be clear, and for others reading this in future,  ideally you need a combination of MP(multi parametric)MRI AND 3T(image power)

So as to get the best possible images so the radiologist can write the most accurate report for the Urologist Doctor

thanks