Proposal would see Thailand continue with relaxed entry rules for tourists

webfact

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

No sound reason not to extend it. They are desperate for tourists, now that they realize just how devastating the Prayuth decimation was. The sabotage could barely have been more complete. 

They need to ease rules, improve the country, fix many things, and make Thailand more appealing for tourists. Basic stuff. But complicated for goons. 

The unelected PM and his soldiers need to make it much easier for people under 50 to stay in Thailand in the longer term without having to get married.

7 hours ago, Derek B said:

To improve tourism in Thailand have the Chinese go through Thai Immigration in China. 

Great idea!

Could they also just move some Thai taxi drivers over too, and a mini Thailand theme park. A 7/11 or two an overpriced jewelry shop and a condo sales showroom.  Save us all a lot of grief and create some loopholes for corruption.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ignore it said:

Put Russia on the VOA list.

It'll bring in more Ruski draft dodgers.

IIRC the Russians used to get a long term stay as some bilateral agreement... Thais could enter Russia without a Visa. 

"........... according to Governor Yuthasak Supasorn the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will propose the policy be extended until the end of the year."

Why not just say "extended indefinitely"? It would put over a more positive message, and then if they want to reverse it at the end of the year, just call for Mr Anutin to do his usual stuff!

29 minutes ago, VBF said:

Nothing wrong with your idea, but I personally disagree with it. I'm arriving in Thailand next month, staying for 57 days.  I could have done as you suggest, entered visa-exempt and applied for an extension.

However, I chose to get a Tourist Visa mainly because, once I figured the strange visa site out, it's all done from the comfort of my own home and now I  don't need to mess about getting copies, filling in forms, going to Immigration, effectively wasting half a day of my holiday minimum.  Plus its heaper - £30 for the visa, against 1900 Baht for an extension (approx £47.50).  As ever with these things "YMMV"

I agree that in your case when planning only to stay between 45 and 60 days, and having the opportunity to apply on-line for the 60-day Tourist Visa, that that would be your best option. 

Note that depending on where you are staying in Thailand, that doing a border-run can also be an alternative instead of applying for the 30-day extension.  And that option would actually be the one to go for in case you want to stay between 75 and 90 days in Thailand, as it would provide you with a 2nd 45-day permission to stay on re-entry after having left when your 1st 45-aay permission to stay almost expired.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Judging by the majority of people on my return flight to Thailand, there is certainly no focus on quality.

Flight from where, though?  Moscow?  Los Angeles?  Delhi? or just Beijing?

• Haha 1

Just returned from an expensive border bounce (by air) from Penang.  So now I have a second 45+30 at my disposal.

But it cost me far in excess of the 1900 baht for a VE extension.  All that excess money spent in a foreign country, thus denying Thailand of a little extra business.

I would have been quite happy to pay 3800 baht (twice the extension fee) in order not to go to the bother of flying in and out of this country for no gainful purpose whatsoever.  (Maybe put a limit on the number of times one could do this, but....)

Or why not do what Malaysia does: 90 days Visa Exempt.  That's it! 

Or Mexico: 6 months, no questions asked as long as you don't have a Colombia stamp in your passport:wink:

3 hours ago, blazes said:

Just returned from an expensive border bounce (by air) from Penang.  So now I have a second 45+30 at my disposal.

But it cost me far in excess of the 1900 baht for a VE extension.  All that excess money spent in a foreign country, thus denying Thailand of a little extra business.

I would have been quite happy to pay 3800 baht (twice the extension fee) in order not to go to the bother of flying in and out of this country for no gainful purpose whatsoever.  (Maybe put a limit on the number of times one could do this, but....)

Or why not do what Malaysia does: 90 days Visa Exempt.  That's it! 

Or Mexico: 6 months, no questions asked as long as you don't have a Colombia stamp in your passport:wink:

Mate, you got 45 days twice... when it used to be 30, and you are winging!

Nothing wrong with a few side trips to broaden the mind and get some old Scotch duty free. 

Pre-Covid, people who had a few too many Visa Exempts or tourist visas got hassle coming in from nearby countries... Thai immigration were suspicious of whether they really were tourists... that will come back I suspect, when they tire of tourists again.

On 1/18/2023 at 4:04 AM, alex8912 said:

You are one million percent wrong about most long term ( 3-6 month ) tourists.  I bet you have not spoken to anyone who stays here that long as a tourist because you either don't travel in Thailand much or don't stay at expensive condos or hotels where we mostly stay!  Stop spreading FAKE news! Soo many people here known as snowbirds and digital nomads as well spend huge bucks mister!!  I HATE posts like yours! 

Did I say the lines I wrote reflected my own thinking??? Could you not get it that I was trying to work out the logical paths of the persons who manage tourism, visas etc????

You are just over-reacting a bit. Jai yen yen!

And just for you to know, one does not need to stay at expensive hotels or condos to spend a lot of money in this country. You seem to ignore that lots of foreigners heavily invest via their Thai spouses or long term partners.

On 1/18/2023 at 5:43 AM, ignore it said:

Great idea! Could they also just move some Thai taxi drivers over too, and a mini Thailand theme park. A 7/11 or two an overpriced jewelry shop and a condo sales showroom.  Save us all a lot of grief and create some loopholes for corruption.

thinking of a scam recently reported, add a fake Porsche car to improve the look and feel a bit further!

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2023 at 4:52 AM, blazes said:

Mexico deserves a special positive mention when it comes to entry / exit regulations, at least as far as I have experienced it. I went there with my Thai GF just before COVID. She had a Schengen visa that was still valid, the IO at the airport looked at the passport maybe 1 minute max, stamped at that was it. No question asked. And on our exit, we just checked in with the airline and .... there was no counter to stamp our passports! So we have Mexican entry stamps and no Mexico exit stamps in our passports. I had never seen that anywhere! 

Besides, Mexico is one of the nicest countries I can think about, and not expensive either ????

On 1/17/2023 at 9:47 PM, IamNoone88 said:

Judging by the majority of people on my return flight to Thailand, there is certainly no focus on quality.

Do you include yourself in that statement or are you only passing judgement on others?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/22/2023 at 12:20 AM, pomchop said:

How many snowbirds come to thailand during the oct/nov to apr/may time period?  Not really tourists and not really full timers.

Sure would be nice if there were a six month visa to encourage even more snow birds without having to do visa runs, extensions, etc etc....one of Thailand's assets is it is warm here while it is winter time in a half the world.  Take advantage of that and promote it.  

Agreed!  A six month tourist visa would be very helpful to many "snowbirds" that only want to stay in Thailand during the northern hemisphere winter.  

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2023 at 12:35 PM, Kopitiam said:
On 1/18/2023 at 12:43 AM, d4dang said:

the shorter the visas the more overstays

The more money Thai immigration will collect.

This is perhaps part of the issue... 

The TAT and Immigration are different authorities... 

One government body wants to attract as many tourists as possible and encourage tourist spending and contribute to the economy of Thailand. 

The other government body has to control and manage this, but also profit from it, which is in direct contradiction.

The simple solution to attract more long term tourists (snow birds has been used) is as other posters have mentioned, to offer a 6 month Visa Exempt stamp on arrival, no hassles, ease of entry (perhaps limit stay to 6 months in any calendar year to prevent people living here on such a visa). 

IF tourists want to stay longer, they can pay $$ for a 1 year Multiple entry tourist visa.

Immigration are petrified of ‘western’ foreigners working here... but really, are those Westerners that do work here illegally in the majority ? are they really damaging the Thai economy and taking work away from Thai’s ??? 

Thus:

- 6 month Visa exempt on Entry (6 months stay per year).

- 12 Month Multi entry Visa (for at a price - i.e. 10,000 baht etc).

- Strict fines and black-listing for those found working illegally.

The point here is not to limit everyone because a few people break the law...  no one should have to be forced to be limited by the lowest common denominator... Instead, make things easier, but those who do brake the law are held properly accountable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Agreed!  A six month tourist visa would be very helpful to many "snowbirds" that only want to stay in Thailand during the northern hemisphere winter.  

Yup - something like this is perfect. 

My Wife has a 10 year visit visa to the UK (can’t live there on it or stay for more than 6 months per time, or year, I’m not sure which).... she uses it only as a visit visa for our visits a couple of times per year.

It makes travelling very convenient...  just up-sticks and go there for a trip whenever we want.  Conversely, we rarely get across to Europe because of the extra step of getting the Schengen Visa which just adds hassle.

IF Thailand wants to capitalise on the tourism market - it can do more from the visa perspective. 

IF Thailand wants to capitalise on long term tourists, snowbirds and Digital Nomads who will spend plenty of money here - it can do more from the visa perspective.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2023 at 3:20 PM, pomchop said:

How many snowbirds come to thailand during the oct/nov to apr/may time period?  Not really tourists and not really full timers.

Sure would be nice if there were a six month visa to encourage even more snow birds without having to do visa runs, extensions, etc etc....one of Thailand's assets is it is warm here while it is winter time in a half the world.  Take advantage of that and promote it.  

speaking of six months....if you get the 60 day tourist visa online then get a 30 day extension can you then go to vietnam or laos and stay a few days then get another 60 day tourist visa and then another extension to give you six months?  i would not mind leaving for a vietnam visit for a week or so if that is possible...would it be done online from vietnam or go to thai embassy or?....anyone know ?

10 minutes ago, pomchop said:

speaking of six months....if you get the 60 day tourist visa online then get a 30 day extension can you then go to vietnam or laos and stay a few days then get another 60 day tourist visa and then another extension to give you six months?  i would not mind leaving for a vietnam visit for a week or so if that is possible...would it be done online from vietnam or go to thai embassy or?....anyone know ?

Or just give ppl a 6 month visa exempt stamp on arrival... 

Getting a visa, then getting an extensions, then traveling overseas to get another 60 day visa, then getting another extension....  Its just a load of hassle that many do not want. 

Get rid of the 90 day report.... Make things as easy as possible... Send the message that ‘we want you here’ not... if you come here we’re going to watch you like criminals and make you jump through a few hoops....  

... admittedly the ‘hoop’s are not exactly taxing... but are they really necessary at all ????

It is the ‘borderline visitors’ that decide not to come when understanding these additional hassles...  a lot of people do not want to do a border hop or mess around with extra visas...

• Thanks 1