Proposal would see Thailand continue with relaxed entry rules for tourists

webfact

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Or just give ppl a 6 month visa exempt stamp on arrival... 

Getting a visa, then getting an extensions, then traveling overseas to get another 60 day visa, then getting another extension....  Its just a load of hassle that many do not want. 

Get rid of the 90 day report.... Make things as easy as possible... Send the message that ‘we want you here’ not... if you come here we’re going to watch you like criminals and make you jump through a few hoops....  

... admittedly the ‘hoop’s are not exactly taxing... but are they really necessary at all ????

It is the ‘borderline visitors’ that decide not to come when understanding these additional hassles...  a lot of people do not want to do a border hop or mess around with extra visas...

yes it is a pain in the butt for sure...this year i got 60 day tourist visa online..then two trips to immigration to get a 30 day extension as landlord did not file tm3 properly....then a full day van ride to cambodia for 45 days more....3500 thb and waste of day....then back to immigration for 3 hours to get another 30 days...when all said and done i got 165 days still 15 days short of six months so leaving two weeks earlier as don;t want more hassles to stay two more weeks.... cost me original 60 day online fee +3500 to cambodia van run plus 1900 x 2 at jomtiem plus hassles of standing in long lines and being treated like crxxap at immigration...was there yesterday and lot of people were getting yelled at by immigration guys for wrong line wrong form wrong whatever...copies of this then more copies of that...what a joke......i would have gladly paid more for a one time snowbird visa for six months....also as getting older it is not so easy to do all that travel and stand in lines etc etc...but....

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Agreed!  A six month tourist visa would be very helpful to many "snowbirds" that only want to stay in Thailand during the northern hemisphere winter.  

It need not be 6 months ... Northern Winter is officially 3 months surely. Four would cover most countries.... a single border run with the current 45+30+45+30 is good. A pity a border bounce or trip is obligated though. 

18 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It need not be 6 months ... Northern Winter is officially 3 months surely. Four would cover most countries.... a single border run with the current 45+30+45+30 is good. A pity a border bounce or trip is obligated though. 

A six month tourist visa would eliminate the need to do "border bounces" and take the chance of some immigration officer saying that you do this too much over an arbitrary period of time.  Plus, you don't have to stay the entire six months.  You could just stay 3,4,or 5 months.  It covers a lot of options and makes it easier to stay legally in the country.  I can't see why someone would be advocating for doing a "border bounce" when a longer visa would be much simpler.

On 1/17/2023 at 8:55 AM, webfact said:

tourists entering Thailand under the Visa on Arrival (VOA) program have been able to stay in the country for 30 days

Better let the Bangkok Cops know ????

They have been extorting charging some 27,000 baht for using this unofficial visa ????

https://aseannow.com/topic/1284573-ill-never-set-foot-in-thailand-again-damning-review-by-taiwanese-celeb-extorted-by-thai-police/

Edited by mania

2 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I can't see why someone would be advocating for doing a "border bounce" when a longer visa would be much simpler.

I am sure they have their reasons...... other things to focus on than changing rules just to accommodate snowbirds. What they like are the 2 week millionaires.... that is tourism. Retirees are covered already. 

This is a xenophobic place in many ways. 

Edited by jacko45k

• 1 month later...
On 1/18/2023 at 1:55 AM, webfact said:

The current visa exemption / VOA policy is due to end on March 31, but according to Governor Yuthasak Supasorn the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will propose the policy be extended until the end of the year.

It's sort of counter-productive to end it at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not that anybody here doesn't understand... but there is pretty much zero reason why you should have to go to a Thai Consulate/Embassy for a visa for fairly normal needs.  They really should push for 90 days on arrival.  We had a 12-month visa before the pandemic, but it was a very stupid hassle-- we had to fly to another city, stay there for 3 days, and pay a silly fee... in order to spend a fairly substantial amount in Thailand over the following year.  (We had a 1-year sabbatical.)  I can get paying money... but actually going for a physical stamp?!  Compare that to how it works in Australia.  All electronic, all easy and simple rules...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, alexshel said:

Any news on the decision to extend the 45-day stamps?? It's 6 days to 31 March now.

Recent discussion I saw seemed to say it was not going to happen. In the past the government put a limit on the arrangement and it is claimed they therefore have no reason to make an announcement. (That said, they certainly mixed it up with Covid rules.....). There has also been discussion that a certain nationality is over-represented and there is a desire to reduce them.