18 year old cyclist killed as car flies off bridge - she was three months pregnant

webfact

33 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, I recognised the humour in your comment, I was pointing out, though, the danger of not observing traffic movements properly for those crossing roads or did you miss that?

Ok, I look right, and left. Then I walk. Stayed alive many year like that. Not even close to any danger. Others, like to over do it!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:
42 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Yes, I recognised the humour in your comment, I was pointing out, though, the danger of not observing traffic movements properly for those crossing roads or did you miss that?

Ok, I look right, and left. Then I walk. Stayed alive many year like that. Others, like to over do it!

You don't look right again before you step into the traffic coming from your right?!   

You've just been lucky all these years, I don't think that ensuring safe crossing and avoiding death is "overdoing" it!

Edited by Liverpool Lou

21 hours ago, Asquith Production said:
On 1/18/2023 at 6:28 AM, richard_smith237 said:

At 7pm... my guess is the driver was on the phone... 

Wouldn't it be great if someone invented a smartphone that only operated outside of a car or when the engine was switched off.

You never use your phone in a taxi? or as a passenger in a car?.. never used google Maps when travelling around ?

21 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

The only number you need when driving is emergency services

The phone is a convenience, but if we are going to get down to the nuts and bolts of it - we don’t ’need’ a phone at all when driving - people can argue ‘what did we do before phones’... but they are a great convenience...  

The reality is (in many cars) the phone can easily be linked to the info-tainment system - No issues taking / making call etc..  but I still don’t like to talk on the phone  when driving (even when its handsfree).

The issue is of course the people who completely ignore any rule and disregard safety completely and just the screens, text etc while driving...  

Then there are the Taxi drivers who are watching movies at the same time !!... I’ve had taxis before who have their phone propped on their dash instrument display (speedo etc) with a movie playing... I ask them to take it down telling them its dangerous... some do, some refuse, those who refuse I tell them to stop and I get out....  utter tools. 

19 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You don't look right again before you step into the traffic coming from your right?!   

You've just been lucky all these years, I don't think that ensuring safe crossing and avoiding death is "overdoing" it!

Yeah, I am very lucky. Or it can be that we have nervous and scared of everything members on this forum. Just read the visa and extension section. Always 100 people that are scared of talking to an officer in the threads.

Maybe, you better look six times in the future.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
27 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Ok, I look right, and left. Then I walk. Stayed alive many year like that. Others, like to over do it!

We all (the vast majority of us) probably look right and left numerous times before crossing a road and while we are crossing the road...  we do it out of natural habit... 

... Describing the exact individual steps and then picking holes in the description to argue the ‘win’ is ridiculous... 

Additionally, motorcycles speed through the gaps even when cars have stopped... so we have to be extra vigilant. 

I’ve had two near misses crossing the road, both on Ekammai (Bangkok)

1) Late at night, pedestrian crossing (somewhat irrelevant).  Northbound cars stopped for me, I started to cross....  a southbound small-lorry / truck coming slowly and was slowing... so I continued and walked ‘hurriedly across’... The truck, even though it had slowed did not stop and tried to ’time it’ so he didn’t have to stop... I had to dart out of the way and the wing-mirror clipped my shoulder (I was furious and kicked the side of the truck.. the driver got out, looked at me, then got back in the truck and drove off - very silly of me, I was lucky things didn’t escalate). 

2) (almost identical situation): Day time: Crossing with my Son, Pedestrian crossing (again, somewhat irrelevant), Northbound cars stopped for me, I started to cross, one southbound car also stopped... I was about to step out... Taxi accelerated, came speeding down, flashing lights, hitting his horn, I was in the central part of the road with my Son and stopped.... I shouted at the Taxi as he passed....

Taxi skidded to a stop... Got out.. meanwhile I’d crossed the road and was on the pavement with my Son...

Taxi driver looked at me angry... I was furious... Looked straight back.... Not sure what to do, what if he had a weapon etc... loads of scenarios racing though my mind... I was with my son, couldn’t run, nearby shops fronts a possibility but too far... IF the Taxi driver ‘rushed me’ I’d have one chance and that was to go 100% full attack which I didn’t want to do in front of my son. Luckily it didn’t come to that and the taxi driver got back in his car and drove off... 

The point I want to make is that it doesn’t matter how careful we try and be when crossing the road or how many times we look...  we are still at risk from the occasional utter idiot who may not care for the safety of anyone else. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

... Describing the exact individual steps and then picking holes in the description to argue the ‘win’ is ridiculous... 

Almost as ridiculous as your responding that seriously to my tongue-in-cheek comments, to him, with your long-winded crossing-the-road tales.  I didn't "argue" any "win", or anything else for you to get so verbose about!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

We all (the vast majority of us) probably look right and left numerous times before crossing a road and while we are crossing the road...  we do it out of natural habit... 

Additionally, motorcycles speed through the gaps even when cars have stopped... so we have to be extra vigilant. 

I’ve had two near misses crossing the road, both on Ekammai (Bangkok)

1) Late at night, pedestrian crossing (somewhat irrelevant).  Northbound cars stopped for me, I started to cross....  a southbound small-lorry / truck coming slowly and was slowing... so I continued and walked ‘hurriedly across’... The truck, even though it had slowed did not stop and tried to ’time it’ so he didn’t have to stop... I had to dart out of the way and the wing-mirror clipped my shoulder (I was furious and kicked the side of the truck.. the driver got out, looked at me, then got back in the truck and drove off - very silly of me, I was lucky things didn’t escalate). 

2) (almost identical situation): Day time: Crossing with my Son, Pedestrian crossing (again, somewhat irrelevant), Northbound cars stopped for me, I started to cross, one southbound car also stopped... I was about to step out... Taxi accelerated, came speeding down, flashing lights, hitting his horn, I was in the central part of the road with my Son and stopped.... I shouted at the Taxi as he passed....

Taxi skidded to a stop... Got out.. meanwhile I’d crossed the road and was on the pavement with my Son...

Taxi driver looked at me angry... I was furious... Looked straight back.... Not sure what to do, what if he had a weapon etc... loads of scenarios racing though my mind... I was with my son, couldn’t run, nearby shops fronts a possibility but too far... IF the Taxi driver ‘rushed me’ I’d have one chance and that was to go 100% full attack which I didn’t want to do in front of my son. Luckily it didn’t come to that and the taxi driver got back in his car and drove off... 

The point I want to make is that it doesn’t matter how careful we try and be when crossing the road or how many times we look...  we are still at risk from the occasional utter idiot who may not care for the safety of anyone else. 

Thanks for the instruction book.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

but I still don’t like to talk on the phone  when driving (even when its handsfree).

Does this mean you drive in complete silence if you have passengers in the car?

What about if you're on a road trip with the wife ( or husband )? that must become very boring? Do you play music? does the distract you? does the indicator or wiper noise distract you too? what happens when it rains, do you stay home?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Does this mean you drive in complete silence if you have passengers in the car?

What about if you're on a road trip with the wife ( or husband )? that must become very boring? Do you play music? does the distract you? does the indicator or wiper noise distract you too? what happens when it rains, do you stay home?

Its been proven that talking on the phone while driving is more distracting than talking to someone sat next you while driving... 

And yes.. playing music and the type of music can also influence they way you drive... thats been proven too.

Time to start doing some basic research before you post stupid questions !! 

• Haha 1