5 stitches, 18000 Baht

Lorry

How long were actually in the hospital? Also, how much actual time did the doctor spend with you?  Also, did you bill actually break down the specific costs?  I would be curious to find out the actual doctor fee was?

Last year I had a cyst removed from my lower back and the total cost over 11,000 Baht at Chiang Mai Ram.  This even includes the “surgeon”fee. Apparently at Ram only a “surgeon” can remove a cyst. 

Edited by sqwakvfr

21 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Small private hospital (part of a well-known chain) in a tourist place. 

18000 baht. 

Bangkok Hospital chain by any chance?

Regardless....  That is an utter rip off...  In reality I wouldn’t expect to pay more than 6000 baht for such treatment at Bumrungrad or Samitivej in Bangkok. 

It would be interesting to know the bill breakdown.... to see specifically where you were shafted. 

• Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, Lorry said:

For those who think Thailand is cheap:

Fall with laceration wound at forehead, no loss of consciousness (so  no x-ray or CT), cleaned, 5 stitches,  sent home with antibiotics.

Small private hospital (part of a well-known chain) in a tourist place. 

18000 baht. 

Were you attended by a doctor and then other medical staff (nurses) in the Emergency Room who cleaned your wound and then stitched it?   

Edited by Liverpool Lou

Just now, Lucky Bones said:

Your choice of hospitals is excellent but your falling down gives rise to concern.

Those buds have anything to do with these regular events?????????

More to do with cross country cycling 40Km/day or trail running 15Km/day for 10 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Celsius said:

A few years 

I dunno. A few years back I fell on my head at  night. Was out of it. Had CT scan, maybe 10-12 stitches. Antibiotics. Total cost 15k. Ramkhamheang private hospital 

Yes, Ramkhamheang is an especially good private hospital IMHO. I had my first hip replacement done there in 2009. They cater more toward Thais and are not after the "international" market.  They'll take it, but it's not their focus like Bumrungrad or Piyawate.  Their prices are very reasonable.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

More to do with cross country cycling 40Km/day or trail running 15Km/day for 10 years.

Good stuff.

I amble along daily on my bicycle when up on the Central Plains, and at my pace a soi dog bite is always on the cards.

Keep up the good cycling work, staying erect if possible.????????

36 minutes ago, SuperSilverHaze said:

I've literally sown a friend up with three stitches with a sewing needle and thread.

Yep, did myself once, but that was on my arm, dowsed the cut in Betadine bit on a belt and stitched away, 8 stiches in all, did it hurt, just a weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee bit.

My friend who was watching at the time who didn't have the stomach to help me, looked like this guy, I don't know who was screaming louder to be honest.

Screaming in pain movies | Best and New films

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Celsius said:

A few years 

I dunno. A few years back I fell on my head at  night. Was out of it. Had CT scan, maybe 10-12 stitches. Antibiotics. Total cost 15k. Ramkhamheang private hospital 

Yeah, I go to RAM, I find it can be a <deleted> shoot, sometimes things are cheaper than expected - sometimes not.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Lorry.

Can you pls confirm eighteen thousand, not one thousand eight hundred.

I'm having trouble with 18,000 baht which equates to approx AUD$790.????????

18,000, more than 500 USD

24 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

On forehead it may have been treated by plastic surgeon for cosmetic reasons and that will increase the price many times over.  My skin cancer removals by such surgeons average about 25k.

No, not a plastic surgeon. Regular surgeon. 

30 minutes ago, pomchop said:

wow those were some expensive stitches...$100 usd + per stitch....absurd unless something else involved

Nothing else involved

39 minutes ago, advancebooking said:

Next time ask them for the name of the antibiotics and tell them you will buy them outside. That will probably reduce the bill by 7000

Meds were less than 2000

47 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

How long were actually in the hospital? Also, how much actual time did the doctor spend with you?  Also, did you bill actually break down the specific costs?  I would be curious to find out the actual doctor fee was?

In hospital: for treatment about half an hour.  It then took 2 hours to print the bill.

Biggest item on the bill was the doctor, 10000

46 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

to see specifically where you were shafted. 

Not shafted. 

These are now normal prices in the tourist areas.

Edited by Lorry
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lorry said:

18,000, more than 500 USD

No, not a plastic surgeon. Regular surgeon. 

Nothing else involved

Meds were less than 2000

In hospital: for treatment about half an hour.  It then took 2 hours to print the bill.

Biggest item on the bill was the doctor, 10000

Not shafted. 

These are now normal prices in the tourist areas.

Name and shame, what's with the secrecy?
Must be on an island to be able to price gouge like that.
My guess Bangkok hospital. 

• Like 1