5 stitches, 18000 Baht

Lorry

27 minutes ago, Lorry said:

18,000, more than 500 USD

No, not a plastic surgeon. Regular surgeon. 

Nothing else involved

Meds were less than 2000

In hospital: for treatment about half an hour.  It then took 2 hours to print the bill.

Biggest item on the bill was the doctor, 10000

Not shafted. 

These are now normal prices in the tourist areas.

Hua Hin is a tourist area, I went to a private clinic here recently that has an almost exclusively farang clientele. The doctor's consulting fee was 500 Baht and the one-week course of antibiotics they prescribed was 150 Baht. So I would say no, private clinics in tourist areas are not always expensive.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

18,000 Baht for an hour of medical treatment?  That is outrageous.

Hm.

I remember a bill of 15,000 USD for half an hour treatment (suture of a ruptured tendon of the left pinky).

That was in Boston, in the last millennium. It would probably be much more expensive now.

20 minutes ago, ignis said:

Never understand why people use Private Hospitals then complain ?

Nobody is complaining. 

OP has a purely educational purpose, for those who think Thailand or medical treatment in Thailand is cheap. 

It is sometimes cheap. But in the tourist areas,  even government hospitals are not cheap for farang.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Lorry said:

18,000, more than 500 USD

No, not a plastic surgeon. Regular surgeon. 

Nothing else involved

Meds were less than 2000

In hospital: for treatment about half an hour.  It then took 2 hours to print the bill.

Biggest item on the bill was the doctor, 10000

Not shafted. 

These are now normal prices in the tourist areas.

Last November in Pattaya I fell over on some rocks, locals called an ambulance due to heavy bleeding from my head. Taken to Memorial Hospital in Pattaya. Had CT brain scan and ten stiches which cost 12,000 baht.

• Like 1

The price sounds over the top, I would complain to the head office and see what they say, as well contact a news channel back home. Maybe they will rethink their charge if it goes viral.

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, ignis said:

Never understand why people use Private Hospitals then complain ?

I had a minor procedure last year... (local anaesthetic - 30min job)..  was quoted about 60,000 baht, they hospital charged 45,000 baht.... No complaints from me. 

BUT... If they charged 150,000 baht for something I know should cost 45-50,000 baht, then of course, I’d complain !!!

In this case... 18,000 baht for stitching up a cut is a rip off.....   I’d have complained there and then, this is tantamount to the hospital cheating the Op. 

• Like 1

Back in 2019 I was checked for possible dangerous moles at skin docter Bangkok hospital Bangkok, and got an offer to remove 3 for the same price 18 000,- all included with a check up after. I did it back home last year for 1000,- baht. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

SuperGlue is about 30 Baht at 7-11. Remarkably effective too.

https://morethanjustsurviving.com/super-glue-for-cuts/

Split head and nose some years ago playing football...  The hospital in the UK used what they called a ‘surgical super-glue’ to bind the wound together... 

... I was told not to get it wet....  It split again 3 days later when I playing in my next game !!!

Ended up with butterfly stitches. 

Obviously it depends how serious the Ops cut is - if the hospital didn’t use butterfly stitches, then it obviously needed ‘real ones’.

18,000 baht is clearly a rip off. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Lorry said:

Hm.

I remember a bill of 15,000 USD for half an hour treatment (suture of a ruptured tendon of the left pinky).

That was in Boston, in the last millennium. It would probably be much more expensive now.

yes but those nurses in boston probably making a bit more than a few bucks a day like thai nurses...plus rents, law suit liability insurance  and everything else astronomically higher than thailand in boston..

you are a trusting polite man not to go back and ask to see supervisor and complain or at least ask for an explanation of why so much for simple procedure....

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

On forehead it may have been treated by plastic surgeon for cosmetic reasons and that will increase the price many times over.  My skin cancer removals by such surgeons average about 25k.

My thought also.

Plus he may have gone into ER initially which always entails added costs.

Certainly shoudl nto have bought the meds at the hospital (if in fact abx were even needed)

4 hours ago, Lorry said:

Small private hospital (part of a well-known chain) in a tourist place. 

18000 baht. 

You should know better by now. For something minor like this should have gone to Bang Lamung Hospital or connected clinic. When will you learn?

Staff must have been high 5ing again afterwards, another falang ripped off

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Hua Hin is a tourist area, I went to a private clinic here recently that has an almost exclusively farang clientele. The doctor's consulting fee was 500 Baht and the one-week course of antibiotics they prescribed was 150 Baht. So I would say no, private clinics in tourist areas are not always expensive.

Just out of interest, how many different meds, and did they come in original boxes or plastic bags with dosage scribbled on?????????

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

how much they have paid over their lifetime for "free" care

6 figures 

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

what various procedures cost the NHS to provid

6 figures, too, during my lifetime

I am still out of the money,  but not by much. 

31 minutes ago, Lorry said:

5 different meds, in original packaging

Cool. My local clinic on the Central Plains hands out the same plasic bags of meds if you have the flu or a broken leg.

Took me a while to work out one of the meds is good old paracetamol.

Not expensive but not exactly suited to the malaise.????????

14 minutes ago, Lucky Bones said:

Yup. See my other post.

This can be "normal".????????

I know, I know, I tried to figure out what my gf now wife got when she ended up in Hospital and we got 60k in bill for 4 days and nights, and had to wait to 16:00 before they let her go. I googled all of them and just deleted coloured non medication 3 out of 5 as far I could understand, but at least we only had to pay covid test and 5k in Deductible. 

Edited by Hummin

4 minutes ago, Bosse137 said:

Last week,my wife had Covid.I brought her to BKK-KhonKaen hospital.I was told to prepay 30000 Baht.I was also told,that if the bill would be less.I naturally would get som money back.After 3 days she left the hospital,and I was presented with a bill of 66000 Baht,that is,I had to pay 36000 more.At no time did she meet the doctor,never used any machin,except for one,that meassured bloodpreassure automatic.We had to pay for a lot of tests,that I did not see were needed.Antibody test for HiV,for instance (755B).She had to take 16 different medicin,total 130 tablets...Her stomac has not got back to normal yet....All in all,there were 466 different,individual items, to pay for !I will not accuse them of doing anything wrong,but I dare say,that it was an experience....

130 tablets and 466 line items in 3 days? That's beyond excessive.