Jacinda Ardern says she will resign as New Zealand prime minister

Scott

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern will step down by next month because she no longer has "enough in the tank" to do the job, she said.

"I’m leaving because with such a privileged role comes responsibility — to know when you’re the right person to lead and also when you are not," said Ardern, who leads the country's Labour Party and won her first term 5 1/2 years ago.

Ardern, 42, said Thursday afternoon local time (7 p.m. ET Wednesday) she would not seek reelection and planned to resign no later than Feb. 7.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/jacinda-ardern-says-will-resign-new-zealand-prime-minister-rcna66437

NBC-News-Logo - Sikh Coalition

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Who said all the news is bad?

There will be cheering going on all over NZ.

The only downside is I don't get to wear my MAGA ( Make Adhern Go Away ) hat before the election.

PS I had to google it in case it was fake news, but seems it's true, hoorah!

BTW, the writing was on the wall, and she knew she is losing popularity fast as. I guess she thought it prudent to resign now, rather than be humiliated in the election later this year.

Where to now? The consensus among those I talk to about her is a job at the UN. Time will tell.

I was wondering that as well- what next? In the States, she would be off for a gig at MSNBC or CNN as a very well paid commentator. Not sure if the media in NZ could offer her much like that. Perhaps a good paying gig at a think tank or working under Al Gore... God forbid she would have to get a real job for the first time in her life.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

No danger of that, one of Klaus Schwab's young global leaders isn't she? That's who's been pulling the strings for the last few years.

Just the same as Macron and Trudeau in France and Canada... And the ex PM in Auz too...

I guess you don't know that the ex PM in Oz was a far right Christian zealot who loved Trump. Just spouting hot air without knowing jack...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

I guess you don't know that the ex PM in Oz was a far right Christian zealot who loved Trump. Just spouting hot air without knowing jack...

And? I'd have said that fits perfectly...

Just now, zyphodb said:

Far left, far right, amounts to the same thing, one of the establishment's main ways of keeping the population divided and fighting amongst themselves. The Anglo-Saxons are masters at divide and rule, been doing it worldwide for hundreds of years...

Look at what they both did, along with the other western govs, practically in lockstep for the last few years. Now tell me about those left/right political differences.

Nice swerve. There's a Yuge difference between left and right politics. It's the apologists for crazy who like to say there's good/bad people on both sides. To a very small extent it's true but in the main it's totally untrue.

2 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Not from NZ but I am interested to know if NZ has anyone waiting for the job that people are happy to have as PM? Who would be an excellent PM? 

She may be famous for stamping quickly on guns after Christchurch and handling the COVID pandemic better than most countries but she seems to be knackered and wants to hand things over - but to who? 

Nobody is indispensable.

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Nice swerve. There's a Yuge difference between left and right politics. It's the apologists for crazy who like to say there's good/bad people on both sides. To a very small extent it's true but in the main it's totally untrue.

I said FAR left and right...

• Thanks 2