Jacinda Ardern says she will resign as New Zealand prime minister

Scott

6 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Don't even joke about that.

I'd take Starmer before I took Ardern. I might even take Dianne Abbott before I took Ardern ????.

so we really are getting totally sick of so-called "Democratic Values"... maybe Xi and Putin have the right idea after all??   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gearbox said:

Ardern's resignation won't change the things much. Few years from now the New Zealanders will still trade 10 lambs for 1 Samsung phone.

Unfortunately, very small countries can never be manufacturers on a global scale. Australia found that out long ago with cars and TV's. NZ never tried.

46 minutes ago, Bagwain said:

That was a manufactured scenario! It worked and Oz is stuffed for being an independant & quality nation of producing many things. Now it is just a owner of many quarries!  All part of the bigger plan which is unfolding before our eyes now!

What would the "bigger plan" be and who planned it?

1 minute ago, couchpotato said:

And also has the most Australians in the world????

Cute. You didn't have sufficient reasoning power to realise that I meant population? Actually, you did because you mentioned it but thought you might just take a free hit anyway. Well scored.

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Cute. You didn't have sufficient reasoning power to realise that I meant population? Actually, you did because you mentioned it but thought you might just take a free hit anyway. Well scored.

Just one of those boring days where I'm not really posting anything meaningful.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, gearbox said:

Ardern's resignation won't change the things much. Few years from now the New Zealanders will still trade 10 lambs for 1 Samsung phone.

Hopefully it will, when Labour is humiliated in the election. She was the only thing Labour had to attract voters IMO. They certainly can't stand on their record, which has been abysmal. Housing, 3 waters, methane tax, gun buy back, youth crime and more- the list of fails is extensive.

In the opinion of many, it's National's election, unless they really stuff it up.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Where to now? The consensus among those I talk to about her is a job at the UN. Time will tell.

Just heard that discussed on the radio. They had an interview with someone from the UN and he pointed out that there are no vacancies that would be "suitable" for her. I guess that plan will have to wait a while.

There was a news item on Al Jazeera about her resigning, so it's obviously international news.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

13 hours ago, AnnaBanana said:

Burned out at 42?

Who wll likely take her place as head of Labour in NZ?

Is there a talent pool of woke loons ready and waiting to step into her ruby slippers?

Someone by the name of Hitchens is being mooted. So noteworthy I don't know what he does.

Problem for Labour is that she so dominated the news cycle that others didn't get much attention. Even during the covid lockdowns she took center stage and shut the health minister out.

The problem with that is that while she got the kudos when things went well, she also gets the brickbats when it goes wrong, and it's been going very wrong recently.

13 hours ago, Purdey said:

Not from NZ but I am interested to know if NZ has anyone waiting for the job that people are happy to have as PM? Who would be an excellent PM? 

She may be famous for stamping quickly on guns after Christchurch and handling the COVID pandemic better than most countries but she seems to be knackered and wants to hand things over - but to who? 

Doesn't really matter as it's only till they lose the election. National will win by a landslide IMO, as long as they don't do something really stupid before the elections.

The love affair with Adhern/ Labour has been over for a while now.

• Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Because she is the face of Labour, the party that has been in charge for some years now, joined at the hip to the greens, who seem more interested in stopping new hydro stations, than cleaning up the pollution.

Listening to the radio, the luvvies are well into the cover up of her deficiencies.

Seems she was loved more overseas than by the people she ruled, which IMO only goes to prove that it's easier to fool people that don't have to suffer under her policies.

The news about her demise resignation spread like wildfire and everyone I spoke to was very happy about it.

Listening to the radio, the luvvies are well into the cover up of her deficiencies.

LOL. The latest I just heard is that anyone criticizing her is a misogynist! She chose to be a politician so she gets criticized when she makes mistakes. If they want to be treated differently females shouldn't be politicians.

• Like 1

Burnout: Why Jacinda Ardern's 'rare' admission about her mental health matters

Prof Cooper said that it is "relatively rare" for someone so high up to speak out about their mental health, particularly in politics or business - though there have been notable exceptions in the past.

Prof Cooper said the impact of Ms Ardern's candour would be "very positive": "When you get people in a position of influence, in senior roles, saying something it has a more profound change on other people being prepared to open up themselves."

https://news.sky.com/story/burnout-why-jacinda-arderns-rare-admission-about-her-mental-health-matters-12790047

• Like 2