Opposition parties call for an end to mandatory conscription

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Prommin Lertsuridej, the chief of Pheu Thai’s policy committee, told Thai Enquirer that military conscription should be replaced with a volunteer system thereby creating a professional army.

I'm saying nothing....

The problem is that until they set up real training with real to instructor it will be difficult.  Thailand is at the same level as Canada was in the 50's and the U.S. was with conscription in the 60's

The only people they are going to get are kids that have no education other than mandatory pass.

If they have the right training it is a great idea.

Then again if the conscription was at 17 years if age to get the kids that drop out after m3 it would be y great way to get them skills.

7 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

The problem is that until they set up real training with real to instructor it will be difficult.  Thailand is at the same level as Canada was in the 50's and the U.S. was with conscription in the 60's

The only people they are going to get are kids that have no education other than mandatory pass.

If they have the right training it is a great idea.

Then again if the conscription was at 17 years if age to get the kids that drop out after m3 it would be y great way to get them skills.

Hi there, I did 2 years National Service in the Australian Army, I must sat that I was no Vic Morrow but they did teach me how to drink beer. Cheers.

It's always worth a try if only to make the military transparent in its efforts to control the electorate through psychological devices (ie., hostage) taking of their young.

But expect the unelected Constitutional Court to hold that volunteer military is unconstitutional. 

Their military is a joke. All branches. They couldn't stop an attack from a group of angry grandmothers let alone another attacking country.  They don't have the skills(or heart) to defend the country no matter how much training they receive. Scrub all military and go neutral like Costa Rica. Such a waste of time and money.

• Thanks 1

He’ll. I think it’s a good idea. My son comes up for it this year and I hope he gets picked. Hopefully it’ll make him less lazy and understand hard work. Like most of his friends they just jump from job to job finding the easiest one out there. I wanted him to start working at 16, but his mom wouldn’t let him. I make him work for any money he wants from me whereas his mother gives him anything he wants and whines for. We all know the military is a bit of a joke but lessons can still be learnt. 

I've seen this Thai teenage male problem many times in my estate. From the day most Thai males are born they are spoiled out of control by their grannies when their parents go to work. By the time they're school age they are totally out of control and can throw all sorts of tantrums when they don't get their own way. Once they are teenagers they hang about with others their own age group so they then have total disregard for the law. Only yesterday a youngster opposite our soi was bashing his head into a concrete wall, all because he locked his keys inside where he lives. When I approached him he was showing his teeth and snarling like a wild dog. I've seen him behaving like this several times. May I add he goes to university and was awarded a Kings scolarship, so it appears that most young guys have same lawless traits.

• Thanks 1