Sliding Door Problems

carlyai

One of our sliding inside to outside doors is rubbing on the door frame when opened, wearing away the metal.

Apart from the small matter that none of the door frames are square (legacy of not being here when doors installed), the problem has gotten worse.

I think it is a problem with the top wheels or rollers.

Anyone fixed a similar problem, or know how to take these heavy doors off?

Maybe it's a job for a local ExAPert with a big hammer and rounded of flat-blade screwdriver? 

20230120_070105.jpg

20230120_070128.jpg

20230120_070138.jpg

The bottom set of wheels can be adjusted to raise the door.  Best idea is to remove the door from the frame and check both wheels are undamaged and fully serviceable.   If damaged you can purchase replacements from most aluminium door/window fabricators or major hardware retailers.

• Like 1

Yesterday a team installed doors similar to yours in my condominium.

They inserted the "raw" doors holding them to the top rail and then inserting them in the bottom rail. And after they did that they installed some profiles at the edges of the doors. As far as I see these profiles have functions like keeping several doors together if they are moved. I am also pretty sure the profiles will prevent that the doors can be removed now.

I am pretty sure for my doors it would be necessary to remove some profiles at the edges of the sliding doors first before the doors can be removed. Maybe this is similar to your doors.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, carlyai said:

All my doors have the rail on the top not the bottom. So when you're old you don't trip over the rail on the floor. ????

It would be best to try and find local door company to come and have a look.

I recently had a problem with my kitchen door and couldnt see any way to deal with it. It opened in and out and the closure mechanism was worn. My wife asked around and found someone to come and deal with it.

They came along and I watched what they did, removed a piece of trim by cutting round the edge with a knife to expose the fixing screws,  just stuck it back on with silicone sealant when finished.

If yours is something similar you could be scratching your head for long enough without getting anywhere. Good luck. 

• Like 1