Eating left overs

pomchop

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Random from the first page of a Google search for you.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/does-saliva-have-health-risks-3-ways-germs-can-spread/

"Rhinovirus (colds).

Flu virus.

Epstein-Barr virus (mononucleosis, or mono).

Type 1 herpes (cold sores).

Strep bacteria.

Hepatitis B and hepatitis C.

Cytomegalovirus (a risk during fetal development)."

Ah, I don't generally spit on food, most folk I know dont either.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Ah, I don't generally spit on food, most folk I know dont either.

See previous post, or maybe you, and most other folk, put a fork or spoon or chop sticks in your mouth but, leave NO saliva on them at all.  :cheesy:

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Quite frankly, I don't believe it's that much of a risk.

I didn't quantify the amount of risk.  Just said there was a disease "issue."

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Especially when we consider what we've all been doing in Thailand. 

No argument from me on this point, but that was not the point I was making. 

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I know some people obsess about health care, health insurance, washing hands, wearing masks, but for most healthy people it's not a real, but more an imagined problem. 

I prefer not to live a life full of obsessive/neurotic fear. 

Sure, but once again, that's not what you called me out on.

You asked what disease issues there could be, and I replied.  Whether such disease issues are a concern for you, or not, is irrelevant as to whether a threat of disease exists, or not. 

My well off contacts do this.  They have money to burn but it gives them such pleasure to get something for nothing.

Then they brag about it trying to one up each other.  Incessantly for far too much time.

One guy would dig through mcdonalds trash can for a coffee cup to get the free refills.

These guys turn purple and green in the face after gorging at buffets to get full value.

I think it is good not to waste food.  But my upbringing this would be considered an etiquette foul.

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not sure what disease you think someone can get from eating leftovers.

Whatever might have been in the prior diner's drool?

Heck, they will be pushing the dog to one side of it's bowl next!

On 1/22/2023 at 6:48 PM, BritManToo said:

Do people spit on their leftovers?

Some drool perhaps... and there are many folks who eat with their fingers like monkeys, half chew something and return it to the plate. 

I was commanded by my Scottish mother to eat all what is on the plate and could not leave the table until all was eaten . 

I think morally my mother was correct and I still eat all that is on the plate .

I see young Thai people leaving food all the time . Rare to see an empty plate here . 

I would however refrain from eating the left overs 

Wasting food is a sacrilege without doubt .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, itsari said:

Wasting food is a sacrilege without doubt .

I have a different opinion..... eating when you are full or not hungry isn't a good idea. Not suggesting the carnal sins of sloth and gluttony, but we would all be better off not being fat.  My Mrs, who is a rural girl will never leave a grain of rice.... I find the stuff uninteresting and would rather give some to the birds when I have had enough... she gives me a small serving nowadays (always more in the cooker if I need it). . 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I have a different opinion..... eating when you are full or not hungry isn't a good idea. Not suggesting the carnal sins of sloth and gluttony, but we would all be better off not being fat.  My Mrs, who is a rural girl will never leave a grain of rice.... I find the stuff uninteresting and would rather give some to the birds when I have had enough... she gives me a small serving nowadays (always more in the cooker if I need it). . 

The back up to your point is don't allow your eyes to be bigger than your stomach 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Cant be any worse than buying and eating from this street vendor. Took this pic at PTT on Rama 4 while filling the truck up. The Crow was picking and eating from the stall for a good 3-4 mins before the vendor shewed it away. Ive seen rats do similar at Phra Khanong market. 

Think id prefer the leftovers. image.png.37c4a396bea15407eddfca8bf67c6bf8.png

• Thumbs Up 1

....he starts eating all the leftovers.... = a man with a lot of civil courage.

They are all looking down at me when I'm doing that at home - and their friends too, but I don't have the "cochones" to do this in the public.... Sooo many people are starving in this world.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 6:45 PM, Leaver said:

Random from the first page of a Google search for you.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/does-saliva-have-health-risks-3-ways-germs-can-spread/

"Rhinovirus (colds).

Flu virus.

Epstein-Barr virus (mononucleosis, or mono).

Type 1 herpes (cold sores).

Strep bacteria.

Hepatitis B and hepatitis C.

Cytomegalovirus (a risk during fetal development)."

More likely to catch these from the person that was preparing the food, not from the diners.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Opossum said:

....he starts eating all the leftovers.... = a man with a lot of civil courage.

They are all looking down at me when I'm doing that at home - and their friends too, but I don't have the "cochones" to do this in the public.... Sooo many people are starving in this world.

And well dressed people foraging around eating leftovers off abandoned plates in Pattaya food courts helps this how? From what I hear the down and outs in town aren't actively doing this. 

On 1/24/2023 at 1:00 PM, Adumbration said:

More likely to catch these from the person that was preparing the food, not from the diners.

I was asked what diseases can be caught from eating left overs from other others utensils. I supplied a link with various diseases that are transmitted through human saliva.  Simple as that. 

I did not comment on the amount of risk. 

On 1/24/2023 at 2:27 AM, warrima said:

Cant be any worse than buying and eating from this street vendor. Took this pic at PTT on Rama 4 while filling the truck up. The Crow was picking and eating from the stall for a good 3-4 mins before the vendor shewed it away. Ive seen rats do similar at Phra Khanong market. 

Think id prefer the leftovers. image.png.37c4a396bea15407eddfca8bf67c6bf8.png

Many people believe crow saliva has better medicinal properties than the "bird nest" saliva.  :smile: