Labour minister promises nationwide crackdown against foreigners with no Work Permit "taking jobs from Thais"

webfact

2 hours ago, actonion said:

Thais too lazy to work, they go home due to   Covid and not want to come back to work

That BKK bargirl in my village who I've commented on many times on AN is unfortunately still stomping around, still with that wonderfully charming personality, after her Royal wedding with some village boy fell through. They did fortunately get her out cutting sugar cane now that it's harvest time. But it's pennies compared to thousands of baht she could be sending back to her fam, with the plane loads of tourists now streaming through Swampy making the news every night, that everyone's been pointing out to her. Hopefully when the harvest's done, her Highness will finally be on a bus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

You must have a work permit to work in the kingdom and you must not do jobs reserved for Thai people.

Fines and even prison terms have been announced after Thai restaurant owners complained to the Labour Ministry.

Welcome to Thailand.. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

So no jobs left.. Thai can do everything, even teaching English without speaking and understanding one word if a foreigner talks with them. How many foreigners are helping their spouse for a restaurant or whatsoever. Small businesses, who can't employ more people... They should be aware....Tourism is killed already by stricter visa rules and an expensive THB, now the familybusinesses what is left over after the visa rules must be killed... When do we get a Government with brains and vision???

In the UK large numbers of people are allowed to come in and do pretty much any job they want. We now have 10 million people here who were born overseas. Things like roads, the NHS etc are creaking under the strain. There's also a "Housing crisis".

• Thumbs Up 2

It appears that 'foreigners' can come to Thai and work as English teachers without a proper work Visa?  I know it is not taking jobs away from Thai's, but if they were serious about catching illegal foreigner's working without a work permit, then they could easily:-

Go to any school that hires foreigners as teachers "during class time" and ask the foreigner to show their respective Visa.   (Viet Immigration did this a few years ago, and caught many off guard)

4 hours ago, Misty said:

In another local media source, the DoE director general Pairoj Chotikasatien is quoted as saying work permit holders have to submit a report in person every 3-6 months to confirm they're working in accordance to the description on their work permit.  Anyone know what this report is called?  Hadn't heard of it before.

@MistyDid your digital work permit ever get completed.  

5 hours ago, webfact said:

“I want to warn all foreigners that we fully intend to implement the law especially where foreigners are taking Thai jobs," said Suchart.

All foreigners? Even many, like me, that don’t intend to work? So you want to <deleted> off those obeying the law just to make it sound especially tough? Wind your neck in. There are also innumerable jobs Thais just cannot do and while you may shutdown this or that operation, Thai people will lose out in the end be it not being able to learn English or whatever. Back to sleep, Suchart Let’s get back to focusing on Thailand’s real issues, yeah. 

2 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Reportedly, Thailand is short on employees, esp. in the tourism industry. Also, unemployment is barely above 1%. At the same time, the Labour Minister announces a 'crackdown against foreigners with no work permits'... - What's going on? Is it general election time yet?

Where did you find the statistic that unemployment is barely 1%.  How many of the tourism related jobs ie..cashiers, maids, staff and so on are actually reported to the labor ministry?  Many work under the table and most never pay any taxes, so I have a feeling the less than 1% is for major businesses such as factories, Major companies, convenience style stores like 7-11, gas stations, etc.....

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Where did you find the statistic that unemployment is barely 1%.  How many of the tourism related jobs ie..cashiers, maids, staff and so on are actually reported to the labor ministry?  Many work under the table and most never pay any taxes, so I have a feeling the less than 1% is for major businesses such as factories, Major companies, convenience style stores like 7-11, gas stations, etc.....

Exactly, also does he think all the village people eating chili paste and working 5-6 days a month are to be considered employed like office people?

• Thanks 1

Yawn. Work Permit 'Crackdown' #37 or whatever ...

A week from now (if even that long) there'll be a different crackdown. 

I saw a naked white guy walking down lower Sukhumvit at lunchtime one day last week. He was clutching some clothes but I couldn't see a work permit.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bondjames007 said:

What about all the digital nomad's and Independent Contractors who are working in Thailand ? I guess there a few living in Thailand.

Are the authorities concerned as you are not taking any jobs away from a Thai ?

Now that the Chinese are back, I imagine digital nomads are expendable. They're not well liked by anyone, it seems. Lots of money to be made from catching, arresting, fining, imprisoning, and ransoming them.

25 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Where did you find the statistic that unemployment is barely 1%.

I wrote "barely above 1%"...

"Unemployment refers to the share of the labor force that is without work but available for and seeking employment. Thailand unemployment rate for 2021 was 1.42%, a 0.32% increase from 2020. Thailand unemployment rate for 2020 was 1.10%, a 0.38% increase from 2019."

https://www.macrotrends.net › THA

Thailand Unemployment Rate 1991-2023 | MacroTrends

Also, official government announcements, as in this news report: 

"The rate of unemployment at the end of the second quarter (2022) came in at 1.4 per cent, the lowest since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, signifying a recovery in the labour market.”

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/economy/40021478

Edited by StayinThailand2much

3 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

These crackdowns do take place. And people are caught up in them and suffer the consequences. They may then lapse into non-enforcement, but do not discount the ability of a crackdown to wreak havoc as intended before it's put in the closet and ready to be rolled out next time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jvs said:

They will probably catch a few older Foreigners who are helping their wives

trying to make a small living(survive).

Take a few pictures and deport them(no money to make the problem go away) Yes i know they break the law but really?

Let them get a proper job then.

Edited by FritsSikkink

22 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

A week from now (if even that long) there'll be a different crackdown. 

I saw a naked white guy walking down lower Sukhumvit at lunchtime one day last week. He was clutching some clothes but I couldn't see a work permit.

He does not need a physical one as they are now Digital Work permits....must have been in his cell phone....

49 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

"Unemployment refers to the share of the labor force that is without work but available for and seeking employment. Thailand unemployment rate for 2021 was 1.42%, a 0.32% increase from 2020. Thailand unemployment rate for 2020 was 1.10%, a 0.38% increase from 2019."

"The rate of unemployment at the end of the second quarter (2022) came in at 1.4 per cent, the lowest since the start of the Covid-19 pandemic, signifying a recovery in the labour market.”

What numbers are reliable in Thailand??? TAT? COVID?THB rates?etc etc

54 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

So as suspected it is for only those employed by registered companies.  How many of the tourism businesses are registered, like the food carts, massage workers, trinket sellers walking around etc...I still find Thailand's posted numbers an actual farce, sorry, not a dig at you just the labor department.

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

So as suspected it is for only those employed by registered companies.  How many of the tourism businesses are registered, like the food carts, massage workers, trinket sellers walking around etc...I still find Thailand's posted numbers an actual farce, sorry, not a dig at you just the labor department.

Of course are the numbers questionable. -

I was just wondering why now there was (another) such crackdown.

Edited by StayinThailand2much