Labour minister promises nationwide crackdown against foreigners with no Work Permit "taking jobs from Thais"

webfact

4 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

this is why 1,000,000,000,000,000 people walk to America every day.   Jungle, no food, whatever, they walk!!!!

Thailand, not so much....

land of Pattaya and Phuket!!!!  

Why would you want to work here and make 30,000 baht when you can make that in one day in Falangland!!!!!

because Thailand is a better place to live than where we came from?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, timberpond said:

Honestly, how do they determined work is carried out without the prove of financial gains? 

If my wife is selling noodles and I helped to wash some bowls (because of boring) without being paid, am I working? Or am I volunteering?

Either way if they decide it's working or volunteering you still need a work permit. I wanted to tutor kids in my village for free just by holding conversational classes with them and my daughter at our house in Ido  Thani....nope need a work permit if it's not your own kid,even if volunteering and no pay.....stupid

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, baz69er said:

What about all the Tailors shops? I've never seen a thai working in them, or is that a job that thais can't do?

They are Thai. However the Indian Thais you speak to in the shop are just middlemen, most of the tailor shops use the same bunch of Thai seamstresses (and whatever a male seamstress is called) out in Pratunam if I remember correctly.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2023 at 12:49 PM, Andrew65 said:

Mowing your own lawn? You could/should be employing a Thai person to do that.

I had an old friend that lived in Phuket and used to worry about pruning his Lime trees, just waiting for the immigration police to show up!

Get real. Stop spreading FUD please

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/21/2023 at 1:03 PM, ikke1959 said:

How many foreigners are helping their spouse for a restaurant or whatsoever. Small businesses, who can't employ more people.

Very true in our case. In our city its VERY difficult to find skilled workers for our business. They quit so easy and move to competition or head back to Issan whenever they want to. I have a WP but it was hard to get it. I wish we didnt have to rely on thai nationals

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Woof999 said:

If cutting my own grass in my own home (wife's officially) is work, then what about cooking my own food in my own kitchen? Can I do the washing up? Can I do my own washing rather than using a laundry service? Is wiping my own backside considered work rather than paying for a Thai to do it for me.

Nonsense post. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Are they even taking into account the so called labor shortage? Is there really a shortage or labor, or are we talking about millions who just don't want to work, or don't want to work for peanuts, while being bossed around by someone they don't like it and respect, and being asked to put in 60 plus hours a week. 

Its Thais who cant be assed working. We have a small business and so hard to find long stayers. New yrs is a shocker. Many stay in Issan for another month. They dont care about being permanent employee on social security. They just quit and come back part time. We are so desperate we do accept them back. Nightmare relying on thai people let me tell you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I may be wrong but I believe that if you are legally married you are duty bound to help your wife in her small business and it would not be illegal.

Nope, legally you still need a work permit. You even need a W P if you're doing unpaid voluntary work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/21/2023 at 8:56 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Why? if they are retired and just assisting with the daily chores like setting up tables to help the overworked wife with no customers in the shop, or when driving her to the local Talad to buy the days produce and meat, does one need a chauffer's license...Some of the most stupid things this country does to make life for some people hard. 

I was out trimming the trees on the now ex-wifes property surrounding the house, back when we were married, and I was living outside of Udon Thani.  A few local police arrived and they asked me what I was doing with the chainsaw, and when I pointed to the piles of limbs, they called the wife out.  I was told it was illegal for me to have a Chainsaw and to be out cutting the limbs from the trees, as I needed a work permit and a special license for the chainsaw.  So I sold the chainsaw to the neighbor and instead hired some Cambodian workers who worked for her  in her Rubber Tree orchard to cut the branches up.  Oh and I still used the wood after it dried to make Charcoal for the home barbeque I had made from Bricks and Mortar which looked like this

Image result for built in charcoal grill bricks stone | Brick bbq ...

Guess I was still needing a work permit to build the BBQ....just so I could cook, which I must still need a work permit for since cooking is a job a Thai can do.

It's very simple , the vast majority of Thailands finest are preoccupied with grafting. Pretty much each and every law is utilised as an income stream.

There is little sense in expecting any logic whatsoever.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not really a nonsense post.  I had issues cutting limbs on our property as I posted earlier in the OP.

That's pretty much my situation. I have a fantastic gardener. Hard working, does good work and is reliable.

I have one handyman that is of the same ilk, but if I ask him for certain tasks then he will send round the most useless, careless idiot that exists.

I've been wanting to refurbish my main front doors for quite some time. I asked my usual handyman to do this and he sent round two of his staff. One was reasonably able but the other was a total liability. I supplied my own cordless drill with a phillips head attachment on it, set to driver mode and with low torque set. First job was to replace the hinges and properly position the door. The able guy used my driver quite well and then started using it as a drill. The other guy gets his mains power drill, which only has "gung ho" mode, and proceeds to start stripping the heads from pretty much ALL of the remaining screws and destroying my phillips driver attachment. No amount of me hinting that he should use the correct power tool (or use on of the many manual screwdrivers I put in front of him) did anything until I told the other guy to get him to stop. Using the gung ho drill to do the drilling and my cordless driver to do the driving didn't occur to either of them. This guy then looks at me with a "who the hell are you to tell me how to do my job" expression.

Had a small bathroom refurbished and some of the work was done well, but they would lay my brass coloured tile edging on the bare (unswept) concrete floor and then scuff it around for an hour or two while they tiled the floor, by which time it looked like Edward Scissorhands had worked his best on it. Rather than address the problem (like letting me know so I could go out and buy some more) they fitted it anyway, so now I can't replace it without removing and renewing at least 20 shaped tiles.

I could go on but I'd bore you all to death. Similar happens with soooo many other DIY / light renovation tasks, almost all of which I'm fully capable of doing myself to an acceptable standard, but all it might take is for someone to call immigration and I'm in the proverbial.

That is the "is it considered work and against the terms of my visa" question I'd love to get a definitive answer to. I totally get that if I hired a falang mate to do the work then we would both be liable, but why can't I (if it is indeed not allowed) do my own improvements / maintenance using my own skills and tools on my own house?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Despotic Oriental Savages.

Why can't they simply be like us?

If you are going to exaggerate at least use truthful descriptions.

A despot: one exercising power tyrannically : a person exercising absolute power in a brutal or oppressive way. 

So, who are the despots you are describing? 

A savage is someone who is extremely cruel, violent and uncontrolled. Is that your take on the Thai populace? 

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

People in LOS were happier than those I saw in London or home country.

Haven't been there since covid, so I can't say for now, but I'd rather be happy in LOS than unhappy in a western country.

It may be a pimple to you, but to me it's the best country on Earth.

Your confused about my post which relates only to

Labour minister promises nationwide crackdown against foreigners with no Work Permit "taking jobs from Thais"

Alone period

We have a home in Thailand & are quite happy when we are there too.

But their lack of government/leadership is doing none any favors especially the Thai's themselves

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I may be wrong but I believe that if you are legally married you are duty bound to help your wife in her small business and it would not be illegal.

You are wrong.

I knew a Brit that owned a restaurant in Pattaya. Wasn't allowed to cook himself breakfast in his own kitchen.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ubonr1971 said:

Its Thais who cant be assed working. We have a small business and so hard to find long stayers. New yrs is a shocker. Many stay in Issan for another month. They dont care about being permanent employee on social security. They just quit and come back part time. We are so desperate we do accept them back. Nightmare relying on thai people let me tell you. 

Its Thais who cant be assed working.

Rubbish. Millions of Thais work hard- they can be found in places farangs don't congregate.

My wife worked really hard. Her friends worked hard. All the Thais that I saw in shops and businesses in the NOT full of farangs city I lived in.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1