Labour minister promises nationwide crackdown against foreigners with no Work Permit "taking jobs from Thais"

webfact

17 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

because Thailand is a better place to live than where we came from?

Absolutely NOT.   America is easily the best country, and always will be in my mind.

People like Thailand because they don't understand anything, or want to.  Eyes closed mentally.

Working for decades in the best country, going to every state, enjoying everything, and then taking a "life break" to Thailand certainly doesn't mean I LOS is better.   I'm not retired here, just relaxing for a number of years.  I still have deep roots back home.

When you speak Thai and get to know many college kids (if you are a teacher, example), you will begin to hear the complains very, very similar to back home...if not worse.

grass isn't greener at all, just way easier.    not tied to LOS at all.  100% tied to USA.   Let's go!!! USA< USA< USA.

1 minute ago, soalbundy said:

Yes apparently. It would seem to be stricter in the city or tourist centers. In the small market town near me an Italian (no work permit) openly serves food and beer to his guests in his bar/restaurant while his wife stays in the kitchen, he has never had anyone approach him about it. I openly help my wife in the rice fields and work on my house in the village, everyone here thinks that to be normal. I even chatted to an IO about the spreading of bio fertilizer as opposed to chemicals, no mention of 'you must have a work permit', I've been doing this for 17 years, no problems.

IMO one has to upset someone to have a problem, except in places like Pattaya where money is to be made from farangs by the usual suspects.

I not only rewired both family houses, but did the plumbing on all the family's rental houses.

Obviously I didn't upset the locals though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BananaStrong said:

Absolutely NOT.   America is easily the best country, and always will be in my mind.

People like Thailand because they don't understand anything, or want to.  Eyes closed mentally.

Working for decades in the best country, going to every state, enjoying everything, and then taking a "life break" to Thailand certainly doesn't mean I LOS is better.   I'm not retired here, just relaxing for a number of years.  I still have deep roots back home.

When you speak Thai and get to know many college kids (if you are a teacher, example), you will begin to hear the complains very, very similar to back home...if not worse.

grass isn't greener at all, just way easier.    not tied to LOS at all.  100% tied to USA.   Let's go!!! USA< USA< USA.

USA the best country 55555555555555555555555555

I'm sure it's a wonderful place if have lotsacash, but not so good if poor. That's pretty universal.

Don't learn conversational Thai and you don't have that sort of problem.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, mania said:

Your confused about my post which relates only to

Labour minister promises nationwide crackdown against foreigners with no Work Permit "taking jobs from Thais"

Alone period

We have a home in Thailand & are quite happy when we are there too.

But their lack of government/leadership is doing none any favors especially the Thai's themselves

Other than immigration which I loathed, the Thai government never made a problem for me in any shape or form. They made it far easier for me to live in LOS than it would have been for a Thai to live in my home country.

I 100% support their action against employing foreigners in jobs which Thais can do and 1 million % support them in not allowing foreigners to own land.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, timberpond said:

Honestly, how do they determined work is carried out without the prove of financial gains? 

If my wife is selling noodles and I helped to wash some bowls (because of boring) without being paid, am I working? Or am I volunteering?

Doesn't matter, you're not allowed to "volunteer" without a work permit, talk to some of the Farangs fined for helping out in the aftermath of the Tsunami in 2004... 

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

Doesn't matter, you're not allowed to "volunteer" without a work permit, talk to some of the Farangs fined for helping out in the aftermath of the Tsunami in 2004... 

At the same time the RTP were allegedly stealing the donated charity money.

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2023 at 6:29 PM, timberpond said:

Honestly, how do they determined work is carried out without the prove of financial gains? 

If my wife is selling noodles and I helped to wash some bowls (because of boring) without being paid, am I working? Or am I volunteering?

Volunteering is classified as work.

You can wash the bowls at home as family life, but washing them at work is a no no.

They would, IMO, find out if doing so ( unless stupid enough to do in public sight ) because an aggrieved Thai reported one. Pays to keep neighbours happy.

On 1/23/2023 at 2:49 AM, soalbundy said:

I openly help my wife in the rice fields and work on my house in the village, everyone here thinks that to be normal.

In any other country this would be normal and legal. It's a mystery why in Thailand being married to a Thai does not automatically grant you the right to work. It's an even bigger mystery why some stickler farangs get offended by such behavior. It's usually not Thais who care - it's farang. Live and let live.