Are written prescriptions available in Thailand? Advice needed

hello55060

I have a Singaporean  prescription for xanax (alprazolam). Which they don't seem to accept here. For the last 8 years I have been taking 2m daily and 2mg in evening. I don't need to be preached about the pros and cons of taking this drug.

I know the effects and don't need to be told how addictive, bad for body etc.  It's the only thing that works for me having tried various alternatives over the years.

Anyway to my problem. I have been to bumrungrad, camillion and another one I think Samitivej? (japanese one thonglor area). I explain to the doctor my situation and how I live here and work here and I need to be able to refill this medicine when finished. 2 doctors just gave me 15x0.5mg pills, the other doctor at camillion gave me 30x0.5mg. Even I show them my prescription and explain my usual dosage 4x0.5mg moring 4x0.5mg evening

So the first 2 doctors gave me not even enough for 2 days lol and the last one just 4 days of my dosage.

I had to pay about 2.700 at bumrugrad, just over 2k at sammitivej and over 1k at camillion. The medicine costs just 160thb for 30 pills 80thb for 15 pills.

The charges to see a doctor and other fees for not even 30 seconds make this process very frustrating. It's almost like its a scam to keep stupid falang to keep visiting a doctor just to say you want a medicine and the doctor say ok. And you pay stupid money for a 30 second conversation and deliberately give you a low dose to keep you coming back. Instead of just giving me a script I can refill when empty.

I don't care if I pay 5000 one time and can just get enough for a month supply or whatever, but right now i t's stupid pay a few thousands every time just to be able to sleep for 2-4 days. Rinse and repeat. 

How can i get a prescription here and just go direct to hospital pharmacy directly and avoid these rip off doctor fees when I am out the room in less than 30 seconds?

Edited by hello55060
  • Like 1

I was in your boat for a long time,having big problems sleeping but all

i could get was Xanax.

That was until i could not get them over the counter any more.

Going to the hospital for sleeping pills is something to lay awake from in itself.

Until i tried,yes of course,Cannabis.

Really happy i did and now i can grow my own medicine.

I do not smoke it but make cookies and brownies.

I only use it ones or twice per week and it really works!

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice Sheryl seems like a lot of hassle. 

I will try to find a private hospital out the way of Bangkok a little and see if I find one with a more reasonable docotor fee and nursery and midwifery charges and other medical charges that are always on the bill . If I work out it at Camillion for my dose it would cost about 12,000 thb a month. just over 1500 per visit. So if I can find one say which charge about 2/3rds doctor fees at Camillion I would suckup and just pay 8k a month till I go back to Singapore and get my normal refill. 

Edited by hello55060
  • Thumbs Up 1

Try a private Thai psychiatrist in a private clinic.  You'll pay a doctor's fee and should be able to get the amount you need.  Forgot about the large hospitals. 
If you live in Chiang Mai (or visit) there are other options. 

I won't lecture you on benzos.  Just keep this in your back pocket for a rainy day.  :thumbsup:
https://www.benzoinfo.com/ashtonmanual/

• Like 1

19 hours ago, connda said:

Try a private Thai psychiatrist in a private clinic.  You'll pay a doctor's fee and should be able to get the amount you need.  Forgot about the large hospitals. 
If you live in Chiang Mai (or visit) there are other options. 

I won't lecture you on benzos.  Just keep this in your back pocket for a rainy day.  :thumbsup:
https://www.benzoinfo.com/ashtonmanual/

He us apparently in Bangkok.

OP there is a government psych hospital which will cost very little. But chances of getting this without some sort of medical record from Singapore aren't great.

https://www.spph.go.th/

• Like 1

I've known the doctors at behavioral health clinic at Bumrungrad to be accommodating if you say you need a longer supply without the need to re-visit 

if the first thing you do after walking through the door is demanding prescription how you like it they're probably not gonna take it well

you're already paying the doctors fee, doesn't hurt to go over your symptom and what works once again with the doctors here

failing that, some well stocked pharmacy have them 'behind the counter' this is less than 100% legal of course 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sustanon said:

order online and have them sent to your home.

no need for a doctor, which doesn't seem to help you anyway

Controlled substance.  No Thai pharmacy will supply this online.   Illegal and serious consequences to order by mail from abroad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Microwave said:

@connda - What are the other options for those living in Chiang Mai?

Panu Clinic, 14 Thapea Soi 5.  Used to be open in the evening.  I haven't been there in a few years so not sure if the clinic is still open.  The last time I walked by the signs were still there though. 

Screenshot from 2023-01-23 15-49-33.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lorry said:

Certainly not the amount that OP requires

repeat visit at these pharmacy would hurt less than the doctors' fee at hospital, they might even deliver the smaller quantities if they can't get one big lot for him

if he establish a relationship with the pharmacy and they know he's good repeat customer and not a sting by police/fda they can probably move more stuff for him

• Like 1

5 hours ago, phetphet said:

Have tou tried just going into a pharmacy with your prescription and trying to buy a strip or two? you might find  somewhere willing to sell them to you.

Illegal as has already been explained.

5 hours ago, gargamon said:

Take a short vacation to Phnom Penh and stock up. Over the counter for this kind of stuff last time I was there. 

This is true, benzos are OTC there. But being caught bringing in a large quantity to Thailand could be problematic (though prescription from Oz will help, bringing mefds in with you is still limited to 30 days supply and inlijke non-controlled substances, for thsi they will enforce that).

Aside from the drug being tightly controlled in Thaialnd OP's other problem is that he is on a dose that is seldom heard of in Thailand (though it is the maximum dose per international guidelines). Thais are unusually sensitive to any type of depressant medication and Thai doctors would consider 0.25 - 0.5mg twice a day to already be a dose that would render most patients (Thai patients) so sleepy as to be unable to function.  Confronted with someone claiming to take 2 mg twice  a day the immediate suspicion will be that they are selling the drug rather than taking all of it themselves.  Customs and border police are likely to think likewise.

OP if you do decide to get in Cambodia (1) have prescription with you  and (2) bring in no more than 30 day supply.

As I have said before his best option (but by no means a sure thing) is the government pysch hospital in Thonburi part of Bangkok - there he will at least find doctors who have heard of the drug being used in that dosage. Hos odds there owuld bve vastly improved if he had medical summary from his doctor in Singapore but sounds like he does nto.

On 1/24/2023 at 8:35 AM, gargamon said:

Take a short vacation to Phnom Penh and stock up. Over the counter for this kind of stuff last time I was there. 

Penang large Pharmacy  Wellings, I buy 2 or 3 months of prescription  medicines no problems. Also we're able to suggest  a less expensive  prescription  for Herpes problem!

1 hour ago, Paddy 696 said:

Penang large Pharmacy  Wellings, I buy 2 or 3 months of prescription  medicines no problems. Also we're able to suggest  a less expensive  prescription  for Herpes problem!

I'm on Espran / Escitalopram oxalate long term PTSD. Was 20mg now 7-5mg. Easy buy in Wellings Pharmacy  Penang.