Horrific death of 11 in passenger van crash in Thailand

webfact

the only place where a van driver totally scared the <deleted> out of me was the road from Hanoi to Halong bay....never again....and i still question why i didn't demand to just let me out as the driver was a total and complete idiot passing into head on traffic running cars off the road etc....very stupid on my behalf as he was a bad accident just waiting to happen....i got lucky

guess i have also  been lucky in thailand as i have actually had some decent sane rides...did  one pattaya to cambodia recently for visa run  and rode shotgun.....the driver was very good and no issues at all.  But not a big fan of asian vans...i much prefer a big bus although they also seem to often have issues with speeding/sleeping drivers.

^ could have been NGV????

Regular gasoline cars burst into flames. Diesel trucks not so much, but they still do. 

From reading the reports it is not obvious whether the vehicle caught fire before or after it left the road.

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Same as something was done about the hand-built, double-decker, death-trap coffin buses that were supposed to conform to a standard, safe design and only be built at registered, inspected and approved factories under these new, strict guidelines.

Then I woke up...

There was a UK Channel 4 documentary done several years ago after three English lads were killed on a VIP bus that showed the Thais making these buses from wood frames with no reference to any standards let alone any safety or crash testing.

Made me think twice about getting on them again. I only ever have done in emergencies which is infrequent these days now I have my own vehicles.

4 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm…. I wonder how many times this scenario has played out over the years? I wonder if something should be done to reduce this happening? Silly thought, TIT

SOMEthing is being done......ONE loses points on ones licence....if have one and are alive!!!

4 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

I'm not sure it's about physical driving skills which are generally good in Thailand.

They are good at "driving" IMO, if that's defined as moving the vehicle around. The biggest problem as I see it is that they speed and leave no margin for error, which has to be some kind of fatal cultural blind spot. Would it help if, as in the US, killing someone through negligence would result in financial ruin for years or life?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The highways here are insane and beyond dangerous.

This is really cause no. 1 in this country in my opinion. Followed by cause no. 2: police inaction, and no. 3: DUI. Highways here are conceived more like speed tracks than else, spiced up by the lethal U-turn system. As to the route where this particular accident happened last night, the new "M6" toll road supposed to connect more safely Bang Pa-in to Korat lies there, finished long ago and still closed.

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

I remember back than when a long-haul bus used to have a replacement's driver whereby, they could alternate between them so such calamities will not occur, , what happened to this system?..

Correct - I remember in particular a local "Visa Run" firm that did just that - one guy drove to the destination, and the other drove back, and although they were a little bit more expensive, it was well worth it for peace of mind.

4 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

I'm not sure it's about physical driving skills which are generally good in Thailand. In my opinion it's more about lack of concentration, tiredness leading to sleep, drink and drugs.

Those of us with driving skill, and a strong desire for not only survival, but the avoidance of terrible injury, are constantly scanning the road, in front of us, beside us, and behind us. There are an exceptionally high number of reckless fools on these roads, and it is the only way to preserve our lives, and those of our families, and friends, who may be driving with us, and depending on us. 

When I was growing up, we took drivers education courses. They showed us horrendous films, of semi trucks plowing into cars, and literally obliterating everything in their path. They also showed us graphic images of head on collisions. 120mph impacts. Even as a young kid, it made quite an impression. It was horrific, and it was hard to get those images out of your head afterwards. But, it left a lasting impression, and when I started driving, I understood it was serious business, and that it was a very dangerous thing to do. Also, I had the benefit of my lovely Mom, as my instructor. She spent countless hours in the car with me giving me tips, advice, and teaching me driving etiquette, courtesy and respect toward other drivers. That was priceless, and I doubt many Thai kids benefit from that kind of guidance. 

I see people driving here, with their families in the car, and doing things, and taking the kinds of risks no rational or sane person with common sense would do. What for? To gain one minute? Why take those risks? What is the logic? Often, when I am cruising along at 100kph, someone cuts right in front of me. Or someone comes out from the side road, right in front of me. I have to slam on my brakes, or change lanes to avoid him. I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me. So, if he had waited two seconds, he would have had completely safe passage onto the highway. What gives? Where is the intelligence, caution, and prudence? Where is the common sense? What about just the survival instinct? 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm…. I wonder how many times this scenario has played out over the years? I wonder if something should be done to reduce this happening? Silly thought, TIT

Why would you even think that something would be done to stop these mindless accidents.

After 13 people were killed in a similar accident a few years ago on the 36 Route near Pattaya, a law was passed to take these 4 wheel Coffins off the road, and replace them with Micro Busses that 22 seats.

But because the owners of these Operations kicked up a stink, the Law was revoked, and that is why these 11 poor innocent people had to die in such a horrific manner.

Condolences to all their Families and Loved ones

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I have to agree with this post. I have 33 years experience of driving here. If anything, it has gotten a lot worse now than it was in the 90's.

Just yesterday, I was heading along Sukhumvit from Jomtien into Pattaya and someone in a new Civic RS tried to cut in at the Thepprasit lights from the right turn lane to skip waiting in the queue. 

I did not let them in and bipped the horn very briefly to indicate that I was not going to give way and not to pull out in front of me.

This must have angered the cretin behind the wheel as they then drove erratically and agressively behind me, tailgating, weaving in and out of busy traffic in an attempt to pass me (I was in the outside lane and cruising at 70km/h).

Ultimately they failed and lost face by trying to undetake four lanes of traffic and being stuck miles behind.

I often ask myself, "what is wrong with these people?"

This is anecdotal but I experience this stuff daily!

Some of them lack maturity and are emotionally unstable. I'm sure a proper competence assessment programme for drivers and motorcycle riders here would disqualify at least half of those currently on the roads. Cognitive testing would surely eliminate many more. However, as we know, the Thais are completely unable and unwilling to do anything about this issue.

RIP to those that lost their lives in this latest incident, and condolences to the families that will be left to pick up the pieces.

saving face is and will be the major factor holding these people back for generations to come. i hope for some change from the youth but the social conditioning here is quite astounding. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

I remember back than when a long-haul bus used to have a replacement's driver whereby, they could alternate between them so such calamities will not occur, , what happened to this system?..

That would make sense -  and it should be regulated. then again I must be insane to think that politicians will do anything. btw, I had lpg installed, after i had to buy  a new wagon, after Dec. 2004. I get it serviced, regularly, at both Ford and the LPG service centres. I am sure that lpg+petrol combo is the cause of the this horrible fire - but the fuel type is not the cause of the accident leading up to it RIP to all 11 poor souls. 

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Those minibuses are coffins on wheels, I'd never go in one now

I did a couple of times, but many years ago - I am way too claustrophobic for that now... 

and think, any ID would have burned in that fire, what a sad way to go...

RIP all involved. 

How about, at minimum, fill in or fix all of these damn ditches along the side of the road.  Install some guard rail too.  If this driver dosed off and veered off the main road onto a level dirt shoulder he probably would have woken up.  If that didn't wake him up, scraping alongside a guard rail certainly would have.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whereyougo said:

Good the driver is removed from Gene pool. 

Replacements are being born every day, same same. but same.

Nothing changes here.

To fast, To selfish, To stupid.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 1