Horrific death of 11 in passenger van crash in Thailand

webfact

I have often said the Thai Department of Transport really needs to teach its citizens how to drive properly, the driving test here is a joke. They must learn and obey road rules, the lane marker lines painted on the roads mean nothing, they dont stop at pedestrian crossings, they pull out in front of you on a highway, they stop in front of you on the highway to let another driver enter which disrupts the main traffic flow and causes congestion and accidents. Roundabouts are complete chaos, they have no idea or training on this yet roundabouts are so practical. Motor bikes are the biggest offenders, no helmets, 3 on a bike, pull onto a main road with not so much as a glance left, weave in and out of traffic, drive on the wrong side of the road because they would like to turn right up the road somewhere, It is an appalling situation and really needs to be addressed by the authorities. I wonder why Thais drivers, especially motor bikes have no sense of self preservation?? Having a drivers license is a privilege and road rules should be learnt and obeyed, not taken for granted. When I sat for my Thai drivers license I watched a movie for about 40 minutes, I was the only Farang and watched the entire rediculous movie while the other 20 or so who were all Thai's slept! So I am not surprised when I see the road accident statistics here, it is very sad and the outcome of an irresponsible road transport department. 

19 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Could some of that LPG been stored under passenger seats? I know they have done that with normal fuel, wonder if possible to do the same with LPG. Fireball waiting to happen

In most cars the fuel tank is under the rear seat. Most NGV/LPG tanks are simple cylinders so go under the vehicle.

Except some early conversion, I believe on Volvos, where they put a doughnut tank in the spare wheel well. These are no longer allowed/available in Thailand.

3 hours ago, Enzian said:

Would it help if, as in the US, killing someone through negligence would result in financial ruin for years or life?

It would make no difference at all, unfortunately.

There is zero thought or care given to consequences or repercussions.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, paul1804 said:

I have often said the Thai Department of Transport really needs to teach its citizens how to drive properly, the driving test here is a joke. They must learn and obey road rules, the lane marker lines painted on the roads mean nothing, they dont stop at pedestrian crossings, they pull out in front of you on a highway, they stop in front of you on the highway to let another driver enter which disrupts the main traffic flow and causes congestion and accidents. Roundabouts are complete chaos, they have no idea or training on this yet roundabouts are so practical. Motor bikes are the biggest offenders, no helmets, 3 on a bike, pull onto a main road with not so much as a glance left, weave in and out of traffic, drive on the wrong side of the road because they would like to turn right up the road somewhere, It is an appalling situation and really needs to be addressed by the authorities. I wonder why Thais drivers, especially motor bikes have no sense of self preservation?? Having a drivers license is a privilege and road rules should be learnt and obeyed, not taken for granted. When I sat for my Thai drivers license I watched a movie for about 40 minutes, I was the only Farang and watched the entire rediculous movie while the other 20 or so who were all Thai's slept! So I am not surprised when I see the road accident statistics here, it is very sad and the outcome of an irresponsible road transport department. 

Now tell us something we don't all know.

Thais are like stupid animals,

then dont learn from their mistakes.

Allways same problems from many years, no body care,

just "mai pen rai"...

Gouvernement and police do nothing for that

(better to charge 1000 bahts farang for no have international driving license...)

7 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Yes it does, doesn't it? Including you who is assuming that questioning the safety of road conditions and vehicles will result in that actually happening - which you already know, will not happen.

All the posts prior to yours are absolutely accurate in their 'possible' assumptions, because they all understand and have experienced - sometimes first hand, what it is like on Thailand's roads. 

I too have experienced that in my 17 years of driving here on Thailand's roads from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, Isaan or to Hua Hin at least every year, if not more often on particular occasions, distances of almost a 6-8 hundred Kms each way, and by any one of at least 4 different routes. It's all the same!

Every trip is a nightmare of near-misses, crazy driving, reckless speeding, avoiding incompetent and careless, drunk, or seemingly sleepy drivers wherever you drive and more. Everything said here resonates quite clearly of my own experiences - they are all possibilities.

It's sad how people mistake poor observation and lack of critical thinking for "experience" . What is needed is a true understanding of road safety. Successive Thai governments have failed to do this.

Those who think that aiming vitriol and supposition at drivers are anywhere near to understanding the situation are just barking up the wrong tree.

2 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Those who think that aiming vitriol and supposition at drivers are anywhere near to understanding the situation are just barking up the wrong tree.

Not entirely....  

Those driving drunk know they shouldn't be be doing so, but do so regardless.

Those driving carelessly and recklessly know they shouldn't be be doing so, but do so regardless.

Those riding without helmets or seatbelts know they shouldn't be be doing so, but do so regardless.

There are also other factors which you allude to, but that doesn’t diminish the responsibility of adults who ’should’ otherwise be more responsible.... the Vitriol levied at these drivers / riders is not undeserving. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

ust, yet another reminder to not go with van drivers in Thailand. Their reputation exceeds them.

Years ago when Koh Lanta was just starting up, I took a  van there from Phuket. It was ok ish . On the way back, different van driver company, all the foreigners got out of the van about an hour after we left the island. I cannot tell you how terrified we were , most probably drugs , didn’t look drunk. Since that awful day, it’s big buses for me , and the good companies, never at night . 
Though since air Asia and more flights I prefer that. 

• Love It 1

11 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

I'm not sure it's about physical driving skills which are generally good in Thailand. In my opinion it's more about lack of concentration, tiredness leading to sleep, drink and drugs.

Definition of skill.....'an ability to do a job or activity well'

If Thais are skilled drivers why do they have one of the highest death rates in the world?

48 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not entirely....  

Those driving drunk know they shouldn't be be doing so, but do so regardless.

Those driving carelessly and recklessly know they shouldn't be be doing so, but do so regardless.

Those riding without helmets or seatbelts know they shouldn't be be doing so, but do so regardless.

There are also other factors which you allude to, but that doesn’t diminish the responsibility of adults who ’should’ otherwise be more responsible.... the Vitriol levied at these drivers / riders is not undeserving. 

Difficult to answer that - but you need to understand the science of road safety.

Human error is the min cause of accidents - this is not what you describe above.This is and international constant and is addressed by a proper road safety policy.

Basically the amount of drunk ,driving, reckless driving  etc is the same in EVERY country in the world - what road safety legislation does is protect the public against what all drivers do.

There are basically 5 areas that have to be addressed...

enforcement, education, engineering, emergency services and evaluation.

Thailand for decades has patently failed in every aspect of this - until these areas are addressed holistically, there can be no significant progress in road safety in Thailand.

At present there are a few attempts to bring road safety in Thailand into the 21st century but as the government doesn't understand the whole picture and bodies like the police haven't a clue these measures on their own are not likely to have any significant effect..

People who choose to continue the driver "blame game" merely show they don't understand road safety. Until this tops no progress will be made

13 hours ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm…. I wonder how many times this scenario has played out over the years? I wonder if something should be done to reduce this happening? Silly thought, TIT

But road carnage, road rage, road murder only happen in Thailand and nowhere else, right? That's why you came here, because things are so perfect in your home country that you had to come here to find things to complain about. 

11 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Every vehicle, apart from emergency ones, should be fixed so they can't travel at more than 50kph. I know for a fact that it's possible, as I once drove a hire car in the US where the speed limit was 55mph and on a long straight empty road I decided to put my foot down. The car refused to go over that speed.

I have no idea why Thais, who are supposed to be such a laid-back people, almost universally drive so fast, often dangerously so.

To be No.1 in front.

Last year I went to Issan - Sakhon Nahkon with my GF.  The same van was used for our trips around that province and, as someone who is used to crazy driving in America, I can assure you that I was scared <deleted>less for my life.  The driver had a beer in his compartment and was zig and zag around traffic.

I can understand why a tragedy like this would occur.

19 hours ago, thaikahuna said:

When is the government going to wake up and regulate this business?

Indeed, never. And the carnage will continue costing this nation an inordinate amount of money. There is no will to change anything : too much trouble. Let the people die on the roads, we have more important things to do, like getting bribes, putting demonstrators in jail, preparing the next coup. 

17 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Never.

10 hours ago, danoli49 said:

Doesn't appear to be any other vehicles involved.  Surprisingly the van erupted into flames. Is LNG safe?  

Feel very sad for all the victims.

- is basically as safe as any other fuel, however the system is probably not factory fitted.

10 hours ago, danoli49 said:

Doesn't appear to be any other vehicles involved.  Surprisingly the van erupted into flames. Is LNG safe?  

Feel very sad for all the victims.

cng compressed natural gas tank in these vehicle is compressed to about 3200psi, properly fitted and maintained they can be quite safe, but about 10 years back when it was popular to have them fitted due to rising petrol/diesel price, there were plenty of case where it just blew up from the force of compression alone with no flames, taking out roof of the filling station 

typical location of these tank are usually in the back where it's perfect to be rear ended 

but it's supposed to be inspected yearly with engineer's report and replaced every 5 years, so perfectly safe

liquefied natural gas is even more compressed and were only used on boats so far, in Bangkok canal boat it also blew up once, and never used again

LPG - liquified petroleum gas is the same as the cooking gas used in kitchen... more well known and energy dense so not as compressed as natural gas and gives more range per tank, these rarely explode from the compressed gas alone but just lit up, big accident in Bangkok in the 90 where the big truck transporting LPG overturned, spilling the heavier than air gas along the road and subsequently lit into a sea of flame burning for day and killing almost hundreds 

On 1/23/2023 at 7:29 AM, Bangkok Barry said:

Thailand is a small Southeast Asian backwater that has no importance in anything or to anyone outside of its borders. That's why. News is selective, often based on where it happens, not what happens.

And you know that because?

Edited by George FmplesdaCosteedback
typo