UK diver’s death on Ko Tao resurrects myth which is harmful to efforts to promote Thailand abroad

webfact

2 minutes ago, Artisi said:
8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The tens of millions of tourists who have returned home safely from Koh Tao over the past few decades would not agree with your "mith" [sic].   An infinitesimal percentage of visitors have died there in unexpected circumstances.   A much more accurate name for the island would have to be Isle of the 99.9% Perfectly Safe Visitors.

Expand  

But 100% lethal for far too many. 

Obviously, one death is one too many but the island has been 100% safe for 99.9% of tens of millions tourists over the years.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tarteso said:
30 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, they are not "and counting" the deaths and nowhere near those "19" were murders.  

Nonsense

Go on, then, which are the "nineteen and counting" murders that you're referring to?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Spectator2020 said:

... Simon Carter from Jersey received these injuries in an unprovoked attack a few months before Hannah Witheridge & David Miller were murdered. Source: Jersey Evening Post. 

It isn’t just murders that make Koh Tao unsafe. Rapes & other violent assaults are also far too common but routinely covered-up and dismissed. 

total nonsense, you are in Perth, Australia and have zero clue what happens on Tao on a daily basis, far more deaths and many more murders in Pattaya yet you say nothing. you just want to slag off the island that you have no personal experience with.... i have seen more trouble between western tourists than i have seen thais or burmese and tourists.... you are a real estate lawyer that thinks he's perry Mason!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

total nonsense, you are in Perth, Australia and have zero clue what happens on Tao on a daily basis, far more deaths and many more murders in Pattaya yet you say nothing. you just want to slag off the island that you have no personal experience with.... i have seen more trouble between western tourists than i have seen thais or burmese and tourists.... you are a real estate lawyer that thinks he's perry Mason!!

The conspicuous problem with Frank is that he consistently publishes disinformation and therefore lacks all credibility. Here he his stating, falsely, that a credible report about an unprovoked glass attack on Simon Carter published in the Jersey Evening Post is “total nonsense.”

Perry Mason was a fictional American character. In contrast, I am real and a huge amount of my legal practice has involved exposing false and deceptive evidence such as that presented by Frank. By comparison “real estate” work is merely incidental to my practice but Frank ignores that too as he attempts desperately to muddy the proverbial waters. 

FFC164D1-4615-4B18-BC2F-711EA95AC1F7.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The tens of millions of tourists who have returned home safely from Koh Tao over the past few decades would not agree with your "mith" [sic].   An infinitesimal percentage of visitors have died there in unexpected circumstances.   A much more accurate name for the island would have to be Isle of the 99.9% Perfectly Safe Visitors.

Tens of millions? Really? Be hard pushed for there to have been 10m since the place was a thing. Granted, still not a huge amount of deaths, but nonetheless many iffy ones. Nomsod & co no doubt. Perhaps compare with how many dodgy deaths there have been in Koh Phangan or Phi Phi for instance.

44 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Tens of millions? Really? Be hard pushed for there to have been 10m since the place was a thing. Granted, still not a huge amount of deaths, but nonetheless many iffy ones. Nomsod & co no doubt. Perhaps compare with how many dodgy deaths there have been in Koh Phangan or Phi Phi for instance.

the deaths are not dodgy.. unless you believe the selective stories pushed by the guy above, if you believe them then more fool you.

• Like 1

Posts with content from an unapproved YouTube source have been removed:

18. Social media content is acceptable in most forums. However in factual areas such as but not limited to news, current affairs and health topics, social media cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or a government agency, and must include a link to the original source. In some circumstances a moderator may relax this rule and this will be determined on a case by case basis. If this rule is relaxed a moderator will post a public notice explaining the limit and scope of the relaxation.

18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Or The 'Pretty Safe Island'..... or 'Less safe than Samet', or maybe they should put a safety notice on the pier for arriving tourists, like one sees on construction sites  'No murders for xx days'?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Or The 'Pretty Safe Island'..... or 'Less safe than Samet', or maybe they should put a safety notice on the peir for arriving tourists, like one see on construction sites like 'No murders for xx days'?

haha, and what would the sign for Pattaya say?

1 minute ago, frank83628 said:

haha, and what would the sign for Pattaya say?

'Deadly' I was close to serious injury crossing the road in town only yesterday. My own fault, not being fully alert and not expecting fast moving traffic on the wrong side of the road!

Post reported and removed:

16. The Bangkok Post, Khaosod, Pattaya Mail, Phuket News and the Thaiger do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on ASEAN NOW. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to the Bangkok Post, Khaosod, Pattaya Mail, Phuket News and the Thaiger publications will be deleted from the forum. These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not by ASEAN NOW. In rare cases, forum administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

15 hours ago, daveAustin said:
18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

Tens of millions? Really? Be hard pushed for there to have been 10m since the place was a thing. Granted, still not a huge amount of deaths,

Official figures show that Koh Tao (in normal times) gets somewhere in the region of 500,000 visitors per year.  How many years has KT been a destination?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Official figures show that Koh Tao (in normal times) gets somewhere in the region of 500,000 visitors per year.  How many years has KT been a destination?

And what percentage of the 500,000 are Thai - - who are not the normal target for mysterious deaths and accidents. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

And what percentage of the 500,000 are Thai - - who are not the normal target for mysterious deaths and accidents. 

No idea but I'm sure that you're capable of researching that.   I can't see what relevance the nationalities are, the issue is about the number of deaths.   

You refer to "mysterious deaths and accidents", are there any that have been left unexplained, i.e. no conclusion as to what happened?   Which ones, specifically, are those?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Time for a serious question then. Out of the 24 deceased you mentioned earlier,  how many are confirmed murdered?

The guy that was shot 5 times + the young British couple, any more?

Seriously, Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were not a couple. Seriously, Virat Asavachin aka Mr Ban was shot 6 times not 5 times. 

Seriously, I have published plenty of information about other casualties of Koh Tao but it will be deleted if I refer to it here. Cheers, Ian ????

11 minutes ago, Spectator2020 said:

Seriously, Hannah Witheridge and David Miller were not a couple. Seriously, Virat Asavachin aka Mr Ban was shot 6 times not 5 times. 

Seriously, I have published plenty of information about other casualties of Koh Tao but it will be deleted if I refer to it here. Cheers, Ian ????

So only 3 then? I think we can put the whole murder island theory to rest. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No idea but I'm sure that you're capable of researching that.   I can't see what relevance the nationalities are, the issue is about the number of deaths.   

You refer to "mysterious deaths and accidents", are there any that have been left unexplained, i.e. no conclusion as to what happened?   Which ones, specifically, are those?

Just as you are capable of searching out what ever you need to understand - so off you go. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Time for a serious question then. Out of the 24 deceased you mentioned earlier,  how many are confirmed murdered?

The guy that was shot 5 times + the young British couple, any more?

Very few confirmed murders as it's somehow always misadventure, suicide etc. Not sure how the guy that was shot 5 times didn't qualify for suicide like the guy who hung himself with his hands securely tied behind his back. 

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Spectator2020 said:

Virat Asavachin aka Mr Ban was a diving instructor and founder of BAN’S DIVING RESORT. He was shot 6 times on Sairee Beach by a gunman wearing a balaclava.  Neil Giblin said that he was also on Sairee Beach ???? at the time and heard the shots from a balcony.

I am told that Mr Ban was of Chinese descent and came from Bangkok to Koh Phangan where he ran a very successful motorbike rental business. 

There he met his wife Rumluek and later they moved to Koh Tao. 

I gather the writers of the article at the head of this topic consider that he was a foreign diving instructor. 

RIP

9D8ABC05-320C-4AB7-BB76-7F09012309C1.png

I wouldn't worry too much about justification, the self proclaimed expert and ill-informed trolls will keep trolling while the balance of interested posters are well aware of what is what. 

• Thumbs Up 2