UK diver’s death on Ko Tao resurrects myth which is harmful to efforts to promote Thailand abroad

webfact

30 minutes ago, kwilco said:

It's actually comments like this unsupported by any concrete statistics that harm the island's reputation.

The media is doing the haunting for obvious marketing reasons. All that can be done in this case is being done.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kwilco said:

How do you come to that conclusion?

Police found no evidence of a crime. Medical profs found no evidence of anything to indicate other than a natural death. No, they would not conduct an autopsy on scene in the bungalow. They may do so later, however. Relatives and the Embassy can get involved. If they do, they do. If they don't, they don't. Wait and see. 

The main problem, is Thai police is not trustworthy! Thats why doubt always makes colored stories with friends and family's in disbelief they killed themselves or falled off the balconies without any help! 

It will be awhile if ever anyone is willing to trust thai police expertise or if they are paid off to cover up! 

I have myself seen and been witness to a guy crash dead drunk, called his police friend, and walked free. The police officer also made a deal with the insurance company for him! After that I believe anything is possible.

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

This is no Myth ......  the heading is wrong.

I don't think the authors know what "myth" means.  They say this:

15 hours ago, webfact said:

Whether it be simply an unfortunate coincidence or an island myth, the ongoing unease about the tourist hotspot is a somewhat disturbing one.

This makes zero sense, as it being a coincidence (no foul play/not related to previous murders) would actually mean it was a myth, i.e. something that is untrue.  It certainly wouldn't make sense to say "was it unrelated, or was it part of something that didn't happen?".

They seem to be treating the word "myth" like it means something that actually happened.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Thailand concerned more about its reputation than the actual death of foreigners on the island, zero compassion.

Beat me to it.

Our “tourism brand” trumps human lives, health and safety every time.

• Thanks 1

so why would two burmese lads murder the two brits on Koh Tao ?   what motive ?  what reason ?  

guess what ......   zero   !!   because they were just scapegoats and sadly they were framed and gagged for the murder.    RTP stinks.    They are theifs as much as most of Thailand imo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigStar said:

Police found no evidence of a crime.

The main argument about "crimes" etc on Koh Tao is the behaviour of the police - whether it is ineptitude or obscuring evidence  so your very first premise is questionable.

You are also basing you argument on crimes per number of visitors - this has to be backed up with solid statistics

It would be naive to say that post-mortem procedures in Thailand are up to standard anywhere, let alone on Koh Tao island..

Edited by kwilco
  • Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, Robbkk said:

In over 20 years lol. Very low mortality rate actually. 

There seems to be an organized campaign to discredit Koh Tao. Man dies in his sleep and news outlets start spinning off conspiracy theories. When somebody is murdered there are obvious signs such as bullet holes or bruises. It's not something that can be hidden from the man's family or whoever claims the body.

You sound like one of the owners there give it a miss nothing happens here, I’ve gotten into plenty of arguments with you Pro-Death Island Crowd 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

All of Samui, and the rest of the planet.

The problem with the Thai authorities is they think Thailand exists within a vacuum. It doesn't. Not these days. This kind of news travels, and the entire planet regards the RTP as a sideshow, a circus, a group of clownish imposters with little skill or motivation, who rarely engage in law enforcement. They fool nobody. 

They must fool you because you still live there 

Just now, still kicking said:

They must fool you because you still live there 

I left Samui nearly a decade ago. I loved it for many years. It can be a beautiful island, if you get away from the blight of the Ring Road. But, the extreme lack of pride on the part of the officials, and many of the Thai locals, combined with the massive over development forced me out. Glad I left. I still visit often. 

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I left Samui nearly a decade ago. I loved it for many years. It can be a beautiful island, if you get away from the blight of the Ring Road. But, the extreme lack of pride on the part of the officials, and many of the Thai locals, combined with the massive over development forced me out. Glad I left. I still visit often. 

Well, I left Thailand many years ago and I am glad I did I have a very good life in my home country even so, I lost everything in Thailand, but I still come back ones or twice a year 

3 hours ago, still kicking said:

Well, I left Thailand many years ago and I am glad I did I have a very good life in my home country even so, I lost everything in Thailand, but I still come back ones or twice a year 

I am still in Thailand, and I love every day here. Just left Samui in the rear view. I miss the tropical weather, the maritime breezes and the beauty. But, not much else about Samui. 

19 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Everything is speculation at this point. Police are usually tight lipped about causes until it’s investigated and all the pieces put together. See what comes out in a week or two then speculate.

Well its encouraging knowing the boys in brown will go through this death with the up most evidence to determine the cause of Death. Already no Autopsy will be undertaken to determine the exact reason for his Death.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/25/2023 at 7:43 AM, Robbkk said:

In over 20 years lol. Very low mortality rate actually. 

There seems to be an organized campaign to discredit Koh Tao. Man dies in his sleep and news outlets start spinning off conspiracy theories. When somebody is murdered there are obvious signs such as bullet holes or bruises. It's not something that can be hidden from the man's family or whoever claims the body.

I think you mean low murder rate

3 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

the guy that owns this page and another old hag form Liecester are the 2 people responsible for all the <deleted> stories. he hasn't even been to Tao , she lived there some 20+ years ago! they both omit key facts from their stories in order to keep the 'suspicious death' nonsense going.

Koh Tao is an party animal island, but strange Phi Phi island doesn't have the same reputation. 

There have been murders on Koh Tao, and that leads up to the fact of a corrupt island and a well respected and feared family. 

Some is true, some not, but doesn't take away the bad reputation from the island, which will live forever. I have lived on the Island for three longer periods, but I didn't see anything suspicious other than stupid intoxicated tourists and locals who drive motorbikes without helmets going from one end to the other dead drunk. 

As well Thailand and Koh Tao is like an magnet to strange people, or call it mentally I'll. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

That can be said in most places but we are discussing Koh Tao which is very small compared to Phuket or Samui. The World knows who murdered the 2 brit backpackers and who protects the RTP on Koh Tao. That's why any major crime is immediately handed to the neighboring bigger island Police. When they eventually arrive the crime scene is covered and any evidence is removed in case any forensics are called. Simple conclusion accidental death nothing to see here.

and do you think that they carried enough clout to be allowed drag Thailand through the dirt in such a way?|

• Haha 1