UK diver’s death on Ko Tao resurrects myth which is harmful to efforts to promote Thailand abroad

webfact

1 hour ago, BarraMarra said:

Google how many Unexplained deaths have occurred on Death Island in the last 15 years for a small Island most are Tourists or back packers BE88 coincidence ?? 0ver 20. A reputation is gained the same as Phuket for ripping off tourists. Koh Tao has a reputation for the Death of foreigners. That's why its known as death island.

A serious autopsy could well indicate the true cause of this latest death on the island of Ko Tao but here the police will do everything not to damage tourism as always. I don't think you can panic and call it the island of death for this series of deaths knowing that before the Covid, Ko Tao was visited annually by up to 3 million tourists. The island is also known as a dangerous island due to extreme sports and its natural configuration.

However, specified that this island is part of Chumphong which does not even have a good reputation from its inhabitants against tourists, several have died simply walking in the city late at night, attacked to steal what they possessed.

It is evident in Thailand in general it is also dangerous to go to isolated places alone or in pairs, there are many cases of unsolved murders in isolated places and not only on Ko Tao.

That Thailand is dangerous for tourists is evident, both for the traffic and for believing that the Thai smile welcomes you and you are not in danger.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BarraMarra said:

Google how many Unexplained deaths have occurred on Death Island in the last 15 years for a small Island most are Tourists or back packers BE88 coincidence ?? 0ver 20. A reputation is gained the same as Phuket for ripping off tourists. Koh Tao has a reputation for the Death of foreigners. That's why its known as death island.

Never been to Ko Tao, only Phang An (near by). 2005. Just didn't get the chance.

I was 37 and into FULL MOON parties NEVER appealed to me.

Anyhow, I had a cool bungalow up on a hillside and could see Samui quite clearly in the distance.

I also could see what looked like UFO's that defied all logic, screaming back and forth. They were boat, moving just slightly less than the speed of light.

There was a huge article pretty much everywhere (https://scandasia.com/1316-koh-samui-drowning-accident/)

From what I gathered, the boat was rated for 2 engines, yet had 3 engines. The steering cable broke at speed.

The "S" in Thailand stands for safety.

The "M" is for  maintainence.

That can be said in most places but we are discussing Koh Tao which is very small compared to Phuket or Samui. The World knows who murdered the 2 brit backpackers and who protects the RTP on Koh Tao. That's why any major crime is immediately handed to the neighboring bigger island Police. When they eventually arrive the crime scene is covered and any evidence is removed in case any forensics are called. Simple conclusion accidental death nothing to see here.

Edited by BarraMarra
  • Like 2

Quite honestly fit people do die suddenly. Jim Foxx, the originator of jogging, who died of a heart attack while jogging is the most famous example.

Personally, as i burn easily I shall not be visiting the island, but i will also inform friends who visit not to bother with it as there are other places without the death island reputation. The police have brought this negative feeling on themselves with their very lackadaisical attitude toward deaths. 

• Thanks 1

Koh Tao is somewhat part of my life as I did my Divemaster's course there back in 2002.

(After that I continued to become an istructor in the west)

I ended my stay by getting Dengue fever and had to go to a hospital in Koh Samui.

Back then the island was so relaxed, most of the people staying there were involved in the diving

industry, the dive sites were perfect for learners. I just feel sad that the reputation of this beatiful island is so demaged now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

Google how many Unexplained deaths have occurred on Death Island in the last 15 years for a small Island most are Tourists or back packers BE88 coincidence ?? 0ver 20.

This is not much lol. Thousands visit Koh Tao every week.

In Pattaya, in one week alone, 3 foreigners have died falling from buildings: https://thethaiger.com/news/pattaya/third-foreigner-this-week-dies-from-building-fall-in-pattaya

But nobody refers to Pattaya as a deathtrap for foreigners. I wonder why.

Edited by Robbkk
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, biggles45 said:

From a recent report 11 deaths since 2014 when the 2 Brits were murdered. 

Presumably "suspicious/unexpected" deaths, right?  I'm sure there are at least 50 foreigner motorcycle deaths in that timeline, even if most don't die at the scene.  Likely at least 10 scuba fatalities too.  No guess on suicides, but there have been a fair number. 

...oh, and at least 100 dying because of a coral cut getting infected with their shower water.  Kidding on that one...

Here is how to fix this problem. The international community sanctions Koh Tao island making it illegal for anyone to visit.

Thereby bankrupting the whole Island until Thai authorities looks into every death that has occurred there for clear review. Those who have a hidden agenda needs to be charged and put to prison for life. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I tell people to Constantly stay from that Hell Hole , but every Farang Business owner says <deleted> , the island is lovely No Crime at All , Well the Island should be Boycotted and let those Farang Starve , Have they No Respect for the 35 Murdered already <deleted> I’ve.been told it’s Creepy Island you are watched Everywhere… Wale Up People , I’ve had idiots bragging to me I bring the Whole Family , Well you should have your children removed for irresponsible parenting   

• Haha 1

"A long history of unfortunate deaths on a small island with a tightly knit community and a comparatively huge number of annual visitors may not be as sinister as it sounds but the 2014 murder of two British tourists Hannah Witheridge and her compatriot David Miller continues to haunt Ko Tao. It certainly requires more sensitivity from authorities to protect Thailand’s tourism reputation which is suffering."

It's actually comments like this unsupported by any concrete statistics that harm the island's reputation. Te problem is that it seems that it is the opposite of the truth and just an effort to make the problem go away.

So, OK - how did he die? 

All I see is Thai nationalistic hand-wringing.  If he died of natural causes?  Then there is no problem.
If he was murdered?  Well, then there is. 

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, connda said:

So, OK - how did he die? 

All I see is Thai nationalistic hand-wringing.  If he died of natural causes?  Then there is no problem.
If he was murdered?  Well, then there is. 

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. 

OK, figure it out. Which is it?