Facing hardship for love! Belgian man falls for Thai guy and helps family collecting trash

webfact

His motivation is in the right place, he gets some exercise and he isn't looking down on them or this type of labor.

So, good for him & time objectively spent better than that of the average Western retiree.

Also, nice midriff on his Thai lover ????.

About 75% of the comments on here are 1. Petty and/or 2. Immature and/or 3. Borderline trash and/or 4. Borderline / completely  homophobic. 

I bet living with such fragile egos is more difficult than the Belgian man's life.

• Like 1

He's making himself useful helping out with household chores, collecting recyclables, and bagging leaves for compost, but what happens when he's no longer able to contribute labor? Chertsak's parents must be wondering if Willie's going to be a drain on family resources down the road, perhaps reducing the quality of care they'll receive in their golden years.

Even though he and his extended family seem to be living a hardscrabble existence, I'm wondering if Willie doesn't have some back up financial resources which he could draw upon in a pinch. Assuming he's on a retirement visa, maybe 800K in the bank. Or maybe some kind of pension in Belgium? But, no doubt, a foreigner leading a ragpicker lifestyle in Thailand is going to trigger a lot of, mostly unwelcome, interest. I can't imagine that as soon as immigration gets wind of this story they won't be paying him a home visit, that is, if they can find his house.

Yeah, hands down, he should take home the Captain Kurtz trophy for total cultural immersion, but it's undeniable that he's leading a very precarious lifestyle. Maybe he can hop on a plane back to Belgium tomorrow and has ample assets back home, but not much outward evidence of a Plan B. Concerns about his present and future welfare are more than warranted. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

the phrase that came into my mind was, 'what a dumb f....', then again, I'm a cynic from way back. 

My thinking is the "culprit " may not be him but rather the "journalist" who was looking for a story and found one/made on up.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, MaiChai said:

I guess Willy won't be behind his computer reading the comments here! On a serious note you have to wonder on his immigration status and if the publicity will get him kicked out and blacklisted.

It would hardly be surprising if he has some preexisting immigration issues. Maybe cooperating with the press was a cry for help? But it's doubtful that "help" is what he's gonna get. 

If this is the way he chooses to live his life then let it be. He’s not hurting anyone and he’s cleaning up the streets. Nothing to be ashamed of. Certainly not everyone’s cup of tea, but no reason to belittle the guy for his actions. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Aside from the cheap jibes by neanderthals it is a great love story. Seemed his family tried to fit a square peg into a round hole (no jokes please) and he finally escaped their expectations. 

However, as some pointed out, he will need to renew his visa and immigration will be waiting. Same sex marriage is not legal yet. He shouldn't have talked to the journalist I guess.

I wish him all the best, having found happiness in the simple life. 

Edited by Purdey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

Aside from the cheap jibes by neanderthals it is a great love story. Seemed his family tried to fit a square peg into a round hole (no jokes please)

Complaint about "cheap jibes" followed by cheap pun. 

Beam and mote come to mind....

• Like 1

"He said that Willy's family had put him under pressure to marry a woman and abandon a gay lifestyle."

lifestyle? lol - I've never heard it called that before. 

That's some family - won't accept him for who he is. Thinks that forcing him into a straight marriage would be anything but pain and failure. I can see why he prefers the company of simple trash collectors who DO accept him for who he is.

Crazy world.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 9:12 AM, RandolphGB said:

I hope he has a work permit for that.

Or is collecting trash one of the jobs reserved only for Thais?

Actually in Samui the trash pickers have to have permits so not even all Thais can do it so I am sure a farang cannot.

This man just might have found his happiness, after being in a closed mind society back home, with difficult family members ,who care  more about themselves than him. He probably led a very lonely life.Good luck to him, he s found someone and a family ! How great is that. And don’t knock rubbish collectors, they pick up your s ..t .  

On 1/27/2023 at 12:59 AM, geisha said:

This man just might have found his happiness, after being in a closed mind society back home, with difficult family members ,who care  more about themselves than him. He probably led a very lonely life.Good luck to him, he s found someone and a family ! How great is that. And don’t knock rubbish collectors, they pick up your s ..t .  

I wouldn't call Belgium a closed mind society. A community with many interests from suicide bombing to mass paedophilia! When the chips are down they don't waffle about! (And the world's best beer).