Blood Transfusion in Thailand

oporhatch

Looking for assistance or knowledge about the blood transfusion process in Thailand.

My brother in law is ill and the doctor (in a care centre) said he need two pints of type O blood.  Not really thinking about this before !!

My wife says we will have to go to the nearest hospital (which is Sa Kaeo) and find people in the village to give blood in Sa Kaeo and then he can have the transfusion

My first thoughts are most people will not be interested and probably do not know what their blood type is 

What is the process here and could we just pay and go somewhere to get 2 pints of type O

If so does anybody have any contact numbers etc , which they have used before for this process

Any Help would be appreciated 

21 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Type O is probably easier to locate here than A, B, or AB.

O positive or O negative?
O negative is the 'universal donor' can give to all other blood groups but is rare, while in high demand for transfusions. But O negative can only receive O negative. In Thailand prevalence of O neg is 0.2%.

O positive is the most common type, can receive O pos or O neg.
In Thailand O positive prevalence is 40.8%

I thought the process of acquiring blood goes through the Red Cross or the hospital but I also saw many direct urgent appeals over the years for 'foreigners in distress' on social media.

Edited by orchis

19 minutes ago, orchis said:

O positive or O negative?
O negative is the 'universal donor' can give to all other blood groups but is rare, while in high demand for transfusions. But O negative can only receive O negative.

O positive is the most common type, can receive O pos or O neg.

I thought the process of acquiring blood goes through the Red Cross or the hospital but I also saw many direct urgent appeals over the years for 'foreigners in distress' on social media.

The wife's plan to go to the local hospital seems right, as the 'patient' is probably supposed to go there. Aren't hospitals in Thailand in charge to get the 'right blood'?

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, oporhatch said:

I am presuming its the common one !!

Just seems there is no process as such , they will give it to you as long as you replace it !!   

Which seems far enough - providing you find the willing donors !!!

Doesn't make sense. If you have to find the donor(s) yourself, what is there to replace? Strange system! So, if I get into an accident, and need a blood transfusion, I will first have to look for donors??

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

The wife's plan to go to the local hospital seems right, as the 'patient' is lrobably supposed to go there. Aren't hospitals in Thailand in charge to get the 'right blood'?

nothing to do with my post, so do not quote me.

It all become a little bit strange here , putting it down to Thai culture !!! the other brother is A and the wife is not to well herself , so maybe that would not be a good donor !!! i would have said she was OK but not for me to question 

some other family members will not be asked , I am trying to stay out of internal family stances !!

So this is why I was asking ....have we really got to play hunt the donor ourselves !!! 

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Blood donation in Thailand is centralized and managed by the Thai Red Cross.

In government hospitals, to get free transfusion the patient's family (or people on their behalf) must donate the same quantity of blood. I don't think it has to be of the same blood type or that the prospective donor needs to know their blood type in advance as this donation is not what the patient will receive anyhow. It is just a system to avoid depletion of blood stocks. Over 90% of blood donations in Thailand are made on this basis i.e. the blood banks are dependent on it. 

Usually it is friends or family who donate, it is nto usual to go around villages asking strangers.

If there is no one who can give, the patient can  still be transfused but may have to pay a fee as opposed to free.

My experience is that a hospital has to request blood from the Thailand Red Cross that is responsible for assuring the blood is disease-free and correct blood type.

Furthermore, there are specific rules for who can donate blood. For example, if a foreigner must be a resident in Thailand for last six months, first time donor not older than 55, then cannot be older than 70 to donate. 

5 hours ago, Srikcir said:

My experience is that a hospital has to request blood from the Thailand Red Cross that is responsible for assuring the blood is disease-free and correct blood type.

Furthermore, there are specific rules for who can donate blood. For example, if a foreigner must be a resident in Thailand for last six months, first time donor not older than 55, then cannot be older than 70 to donate. 

Correct on both points.

If family can arrange a replacement donation it is done at Red Cross.

16 hours ago, oporhatch said:

Apparently we can have the 2 pints of blood at Sa Kaeo hospital  as long as we replace them .....

Rather just pay for it  to be quite honest, rather than go round the village begging for donors !!  

I would argue against just finding people that are wiling.  The GF works in the blood bank at a Thai hospital and they do a hell of a lot of screening.

My suggestion would be to get your BIL referred to a hospital in BKK that can better screen the blood.  Yes yo will have to pay BUT your idea of just fining someone to donate 2 pints will not work with the screening and the hassle.  They will not take blood from someone that is diabetic, or has any disease.  Old people are not allowed.  Depending on meds they may or may not be banned.  Alsoholics are a no go.  

Also in a BKK hospital they have the ability to monitor and ensure.  

22 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

I would argue against just finding people that are wiling.  The GF works in the blood bank at a Thai hospital and they do a hell of a lot of screening.

My suggestion would be to get your BIL referred to a hospital in BKK that can better screen the blood.  Yes yo will have to pay BUT your idea of just fining someone to donate 2 pints will not work with the screening and the hassle.  They will not take blood from someone that is diabetic, or has any disease.  Old people are not allowed.  Depending on meds they may or may not be banned.  Alsoholics are a no go.  

Also in a BKK hospital they have the ability to monitor and ensure.  

What the family needs to find are replacement donors so that they do not have to pay for the transfusion.  Not the immediate source of the blood the patient will receive. 

As previously posted the Thai Red Cross manages blood donation and screening. No matter what hospital or province the transfusion tajes place in,  the blood will have been screened and provided by the TRC. 

• Thumbs Up 1

"My brother in law is ill"

Without more details of the illness and blood test results, the issue may be low white blood cell count (WBC). If only two pints are needed and 1 or 2 not reasonably available, an interim procedure by my own need to increase WBC is one or several injectable solutions (ie., Neutrogen 300mcg/0.5ml) delivered maybe once per week. A Hemotologist should know of such solutions. I am not a doctor. They're not cheap.

Also, again not knowing the extent of urgency, eating high protein foods and vitamin 12 in the interim may help make WBC.

17 hours ago, Srikcir said:

"My brother in law is ill"

Without more details of the illness and blood test results, the issue may be low white blood cell count (WBC). If only two pints are needed and 1 or 2 not reasonably available, an interim procedure by my own need to increase WBC is one or several injectable solutions (ie., Neutrogen 300mcg/0.5ml) delivered maybe once per week. A Hemotologist should know of such solutions. I am not a doctor. They're not cheap.

Also, again not knowing the extent of urgency, eating high protein foods and vitamin 12 in the interim may help make WBC.

Blood is available. No issue there. 

They would not be doung a whole blood transusion if problem was WBCs.

• 3 weeks later...

There is no such thing as a blood transfusion to build WBCs. Generally, if you are asked to find a blood donor in order to receive a blood transfusion, it mostly means that your condition is not as severe or urgent as other patients who are receiving a blood transfusion that day. Many patients receive their blood transfusion without being asked to find someone to donate blood because their medical condition indicates a need for it.