Getting a new Passport in Thailand and the problems.

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

Would they move it over if you actual had moved to KK (Tm30 done etc etc etc) or would you then still have to go back to NK?

AFAIK needs to be transferred where the stamp was issued. 

You are thinking about 90 day reports and yes if you do a TM30 you can change office.

I was surprised once at CW.

Had my stamps transfered to new pp. Simple.

Then walked to reentry permit desk to have my reentry permit transferred.

"Sorry sir we no do. This stamp issued at DMK. You need go there" 

No problem I just travelled with both passports. 

The reason this is important I think if you are traveling and only here on a tourist visa. You need to stop and not be a traveling tourist. Also after looking over my papers I think the immigration at different places must set their own rules. 

If here and do not travel then it is different. Not only that but the paperwork involved was insane IMO.. Personally very inefficient. And not very well thought out.

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

AFAIK needs to be transferred where the stamp was issued. 

You are thinking about 90 day reports and yes if you do a TM30 you can change office.

I was surprised once at CW.

Had my stamps transfered to new pp. Simple.

Then walked to reentry permit desk to have my reentry permit transferred.

"Sorry sir we no do. This stamp issued at DMK. You need go there" 

No problem I just travelled with both passports. 

Sounds like very poor planing and not knowing the rules in Thailand.   Hahaha

I had a hole in my old passport which showed it was not valid. 

Just now, Goethe said:

I am getting a new passport before the annual renewal of permission to stay. Do I need a letter from my Embassy concerning the new passport? (I will be getting a renewal of the permission to stay, not transferring it.) 

Yes you need letter from embassy (unless Oz) .

You need to transfer stamps and visa info before you apply for extension. 

Immigration can do it on same visit. 

2 minutes ago, Goethe said:

I am getting a new passport before the annual renewal of permission to stay. Do I need a letter from my Embassy concerning the new passport? (I will be getting a renewal of the permission to stay, not transferring it.) 

Yes, and best read this thread

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

When a passport is cancelled (sometimes with cut corners etc) 

The visas , reentry permits , permission of stay stamps etc remain valid. 

Then why even do the transfers?  My embassy paper explicitly told me to go get the visa transfered?

But good info.. Instead of going threw this I could have used my old passport to exit the country since I was on a tourist visa.  And then used my new one to travel on.  So no need to go threw a transfer what so ever?

7 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

. Thailand is ridiculous with visa and immigration rules.

Interesting.....

So you are USA. 

You require visa to go to Vietnam.

Currently only single entry tourist visa 30 day available.

Cannot enter visa waiver.

Cannot extend your stay. 

Thailand has MANY easy options by comparison. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Interesting.....

So you are USA. 

You require visa to go to Vietnam.

Currently only single entry tourist visa 30 day available.

Cannot enter visa waiver.

Cannot extend your stay. 

Thailand has MANY easy options by comparison. 

I went to Vietnam a few yeas ago and had no problems what so ever.  Maybe they changed the rules I have no idea. I can say without a doubt Thailand is the worst of the places I have traveled to, immigration wise.. I am sure there are worst places. Afghanistan , Pakistan. Not sure. 

Actually I like Thailand.

Edited by Gknrd

2 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

I went to Vietnam a few yeas ago and had no problems what so ever

Not the point. 

For Vietnam you would have required visa on arrival and a "letter of approval" prior to travel.

Thailand on the other hand you can enter visa exempt (currently 45days) obtain extension etc etc.

Border bounce etc .

So many flexible options.

Your issues was stamp transfers that you actually did not require. 

2 hours ago, MJCM said:

Would they move it over if you actual had moved to KK (Tm30 done etc etc etc) or would you then still have to go back to NK?

Good question. 

If you have extension already tm30 doesnt matter. You need to go where you have done extension.

Tm30 will effect your 90 days report place.

11 hours ago, Celsius said:

Wait until you open a bank account.

My old passport almost invalidated my bank account. Different passport number at most banks here means they can not issue you a new debit card, but have to go to main branch and write a begging letter then wait 1 week.

Not true, BBK branch changed to my new PPort number it took about 20 min ,No Probs 

If U get new PPort go change number at any place that U used the old PPort  Easy.

Yes, true. The branch can update your bank account, but not your credit card account, which is separate and must be done centrally, The branch will help you do this.

Once I renewed my passport and continued to use my bank passbook with no problem until the teller/officer checked my passport number and discovered it didn't match my (new) passport.

Turns out your passbook contains your passport number and maybe even your signature, but they're invisible.

And once when I tried to add my credit card to my online account on the bank's website, it didn't go through. The problem was my credit card account still had my old passport number, even though I had updated my bank accounts.

So when you renew your passport, don't forget to update your bank and credit card accounts, insurance accounts, mobile phone accounts, and your airline and other online profiles.

Edited by 10years
add

6 hours ago, Gknrd said:

I had a letter from the embassy , it stated that I needed to get my visa transferred. I had all the paperwork that came with the new passport. Everything was done by mail. And absolutely no mention of a letter stating it was me!  So, in conclusion I would put this down to the different immigration office you go to. In the years here I have found the rules change from office to office.

That's not quite right. If I remember correctly the letter merely asks that Thai Immigration pleade recognize that its holder has a new passport and to please assist in transferring needed credentials and visas from the old passport to the new. It doesn't say "you need to get your visa transferred." 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, RubenRemus said:

It doesn't say "you need to get your visa transferred." 

That's correct.

Passports are the property of issuing government.

Without splitting hairs the letter basically gives Thai immigration permission to transfer information. 

Gday

What happens when I have the new passport issued in my home country for there they dont issue immigration Letters.  So I would reenter the country with 2 passports one expired with reentry permit etc. second one new no stamps at all. 

Wbr

Roobaa01

14 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

Gday

What happens when I have the new passport issued in my home country for there they dont issue immigration Letters.  So I would reenter the country with 2 passports one expired with reentry permit etc. second one new no stamps at all. 

Wbr

Roobaa01

You will use both passports when entering the country.

Immigration doesn't require letter a letter when the passport is issued outside the country.

They will transfer the stamps without it.

On 1/26/2023 at 5:22 PM, DrJack54 said:

Yes you need letter from embassy (unless Oz) .

You need to transfer stamps and visa info before you apply for extension. 

Immigration can do it on same visit. 

Dr Jack....can you elaborate in the "except Oz" comment as I'll be getting a new OP towards the end ofthis through the Oz Embassy Bangkok ???

4 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Dr Jack....can you elaborate in the "except Oz" comment as I'll be getting a new OP towards the end ofthis through the Oz Embassy Bangkok ???

Yes you make appointment with Oz embassy for passport renewal.

The guidelines are pretty clear on website. 

When I last renewed my pp they provided the "letter".

At some point they stopped doing that.

My understanding is they placed stamp in pp to authorize Thai immigration to transfer stamps and visa information. 

Edited by DrJack54

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Yes you make appointment with Oz embassy for passport renewal.

The guidelines are pretty clear on website. 

When I last renewed my pp they provided the "letter".

At some point they stopped doing that.

My understanding is they placed stamp in pp to authorize Thai immigration to transfer stamps and visa information. 

Ah, thanks for that.  i understand the procedure to follow (they said on a recent visit there on another matter, to allow at least 8 weeks to get the new pp), but didn't know about the stamp in lieu of letter business  

2 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Ah, thanks for that.  i understand the procedure to follow (they said on a recent visit there on another matter, to allow at least 8 weeks to get the new pp), but didn't know about the stamp in lieu of letter business  

BTW in another current thread there are now reports of immigration (at CW) are wanting copy of updated bankbook when transferring the stamps for folk on extensions based on retirement. 

On 1/26/2023 at 4:33 PM, Caldera said:

You're wrong about that, a tourist can have his entry stamp transferred at the airport when flying out. There's no need for a tourist to visit a local immigration office.

Yes, exactly. A few passport renewals back, as a traveler in-country here, I picked up the new passport from the embassy and on departure at the airport presented the expired passport with its current entry stamp and new passport, explaining I had acquired a new passport for the old one, which was set to expire in about a year. (Don't want to have a passport with less than a year's life on it.)

The officer, from what could observe, was transferring all the entry/exit history of my old passport to the account of my new passport. (New passport number, new issue/expiration dates, new photo, etc ) That took just a few minutes, then my new passport was stamped out and I was on my way.

No visit to immigration needed.

Edited by rwilem
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/26/2023 at 2:40 AM, Celsius said:

My old passport almost invalidated my bank account. Different passport number at most banks here means they can not issue you a new debit card, but have to go to main branch and write a begging letter then wait 1 week.

Hmm... never had such a problem in Kasikorn.

17 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

BTW in another current thread there are now reports of immigration (at CW) are wanting copy of updated bankbook when transferring the stamps for folk on extensions based on retirement. 

I am on marriage extension and deal with Partum Thani Imm.

So not applicable, thanks