Getting a new Passport in Thailand and the problems.

38 minutes ago, mokwit said:

For those who transferred stamps, what was required for new passport 90 day report? New TM 30?

No new tm30, just your new passport if the stamps have already been transferred (info about your new passport number will already then be in their database). Maybe also your old 90 day report, but every time I do a 90 day report they only needed my passport and threw the old one away. 

Edited by MJCM

7 minutes ago, MJCM said:

new passport number will already then be in their database

I hope that means they can be done online as before without having to reenter to get in the 90 day database with new pp number..

Edited by mokwit

5 hours ago, Celsius said:

Wait until you open a bank account.

My old passport almost invalidated my bank account. Different passport number at most banks here means they can not issue you a new debit card, but have to go to main branch and write a begging letter then wait 1 week.

i have an account with almost all of the banks in thailand, never had an issue with passport numbers. some asked to see the old passport and some not even bothered. 

But i had some problems with the bank book. it was branch related not passport numbers. 

I must say my most problems are from bangkok bank. im thinking to close all of my account there. 

when i got my new passport the first thing my embassy here asked me if i want a letter from the embassy confirming the passport change and so on.. i think it was 450 baht. i said of course, sure. 

i think all embassies should ask you the same question and provide you with a letter. Its very easy to do. i dont understand why they dont or trying not to give you this letter. 

1 minute ago, problemfarang said:

i agree. im pretty sure it will fail. 

3 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Online is a different story, I would not be surprised if the first online one with a new passport would fail. YMMV

Me too. It was always that way with the old 90 day interface, and i can't imagine they have thought to accommodate 'in country' passport changes in the new one.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rwill said:

You should have received the letter from the US embassy for immigration when your passports were returned.  It only took me about 15 minutes at immigration when I had my stamps transfered to the new passport a few months ago.

This. When I picked my kid's up at the embassy a letter was attached for this purpose. If I remember it was generic and had been photocopied.... so in theory if you asked nicely here you may find someone who has one and they can either give it to you or send you a copy of theirs to use. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, RubenRemus said:

This. When I picked my kid's up at the embassy a letter was attached for this purpose. If I remember it was generic and had been photocopied.... so in theory if you asked nicely here you may find someone who has one and they can either give it to you or send you a copy of theirs to use. 

Or email the US embassy and ask them to send you one. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Caldera said:

If you don't know about the letter required or which immigration office to attend to, that's hardly immigration's fault, just poor planning by the OP.

Pinching sentence from @Caldera sums it up perfectly.

OP you showed poor planning and research. 

Aside: Oz folk be aware that AU embassy no longer provides (for some time)  "letter" they use a stamp. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, rwill said:

You should have received the letter from the US embassy for immigration when your passports were returned.  It only took me about 15 minutes at immigration when I had my stamps transfered to the new passport a few months ago.

I had a letter from the embassy , it stated that I needed to get my visa transferred. I had all the paperwork that came with the new passport. Everything was done by mail. And absolutely no mention of a letter stating it was me!  So, in conclusion I would put this down to the different immigration office you go to. In the years here I have found the rules change from office to office.

• Thumbs Up 1

Many of us could have told you that was going to happen. Thai immigration have their rules and procedures, as do all countries. Before embarking on any course of action involving the immigration authority here, best to do a bit of research first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Pinching sentence from @Caldera sums it up perfectly.

OP you showed poor planning and research. 

Aside: Oz folk be aware that AU embassy no longer provides (for some time)  "letter" they use a stamp. 

Typical response from you!  I did my research for a new passport and had all the paperwork available. If you are sitting behind a desk and do not ever move around then the process would be much easier.  I suspect that is you. And armchair bandit that spends every waking moment thinking he is the guru of (I am a legend in my own mind). hahaha

Most people have a life other than sitting on their duffs..

Edited by Gknrd
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Gknrd said:

I was in KK and went to immigration to get my visa transferred and NOPE had to go back to Nong Khai

Very few folk would not be aware that stamp can only be transferred at immigration office where it was issued (think airports are an exception).

You obtained an extension stamp at NK and were then surprised that KK immigration would not transfer the stamp.

Amazing. 

BTW visas are not transferred. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Many of us could have told you that was going to happen. Thai immigration have their rules and procedures, as do all countries. Before embarking on any course of action involving the immigration authority here, best to do a bit of research first.

I was on the move and not thinking it would be a problem. And I told the lady at immigration that I was getting the one month extension for a new passport. So, in hindsight it would have been better to of come here and asked. But, I had all the paperwork that came with the new passport.  I think the main problem was I was traveling and was not thinking I would have to Stop traveling and not be a tourist.  If I was here full time it would have been a different story I suspect. Especially if I was a regular at immigration here. 

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You obtained an extension stamp at NK and were then surprised that KK immigration would not transfer the stamp.

Would they move it over if you actual had moved to KK (Tm30 done etc etc etc) or would you then still have to go back to NK?

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Very few folk would not be aware that stamp can only be transferred at immigration office where it was issued (think airports are an exception).

Amazing. 

BTW visas are not transferred. 

Luckily I was not to far away. But, the (transfer) was painless and took about 30 minutes of paperwork and copying once they decided to accept the last letter. Which by the way was almost identical to the one I originally had.