Google reports major changes in Thai searches

webfact

image.jpeg

file photo for reference only

BANGKOK: -- Google Thailand has reported a significant change in search behavior among Thai users. The company has seen a shift towards more local and practical search queries, rather than the traditional focus on entertainment and social media.

According to Google's data, searches related to shopping and e-commerce have risen dramatically in the past year. This includes searches for online marketplaces, delivery services, and product comparisons. Additionally, there has been a notable increase in searches for local businesses, such as supermarkets and department stores.

This shift in search behavior is likely a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. With previous lockdowns and restrictions in place, many Thai consumers have turned to online shopping as a way to purchase goods and services. This has led to a surge in demand for e-commerce platforms and delivery services, as well as an increase in searches for local businesses that offer online shopping options.

In addition to the increase in e-commerce related searches, Google has also seen a rise in queries related to health and wellness. This includes searches for information on COVID-19, as well as for information on how to stay healthy and maintain a healthy lifestyle during the pandemic.

The trend towards more practical and local search queries is not limited to Thailand. Google has reported similar changes in search behavior in other Southeast Asian countries, such as Indonesia and Vietnam.

While the shift towards more practical and local search queries is a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, it is likely that this trend will continue even after the pandemic is over. As consumers have become more accustomed to shopping and conducting business online, it is likely that e-commerce and online marketplaces will continue to grow in popularity in the long-term.

This shift in search behavior presents an opportunity for businesses to reach out to consumers in new ways. By focusing on e-commerce and online marketplaces, as well as by promoting their online shopping options, businesses can tap into the growing demand for online shopping in Thailand.

Additionally, by providing information and resources related to health and wellness, businesses can reach out to consumers who are looking for ways to stay healthy and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Overall, Google's data reveals a major shift in search behavior among Thai users, with a focus on practical and local search queries, particularly related to e-commerce and health and wellness.

This shift is likely a result of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and it's expected to continue even after the pandemic is over, providing new opportunities for businesses to reach out to consumers in new ways.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-01-27

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Just now, radiochaser said:

Yes, on occasion, but I also use, duckduckgo, startpage, bing, bravesearch, and  some others too.  
google search is known to not provide results for certain search requests, due to political bias!

I couldn't edit my post for some reason, even though I tried less than 15 seconds after posting. 

Wanted to add, that I like google's mapping function and frequently use google earth .

3 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

Yes, on occasion, but I also use, duckduckgo, startpage, bing, bravesearch, and  some others too.  
google search is known to not provide results for certain search requests, due to political bias!

Do you have a link to anybody "knowing" that?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I have recently had to stop using it due to constantly being asked to tick Captcha boxes with every search. I tried every remedy that I could find on the internet, without success.

In the end I changed browser search engine to DuckDuckGo.

They try to make you crazy, sometimes you'll have to tick 3 or 4 Captcha boxes....

Also to mention, when you open Google earth, you also get questions which are completely irrelevant, when closing I always use "force stop" to avoid other questions.

• Like 2

only 8.5 billion a day...give or take a few hundred million....

The latest data shows that Google processes over 99,000 searches every single second (Internet Live Stats, 2022). This makes more than 8.5 billion searches a day (Internet Live Stats, 2022

Just now, Tubulat said:

They try to make you crazy, sometimes you'll have to tick 3 or 4 Captcha boxes....

Also to mention, when you open Google earth, you also get questions which are completely irrelevant, when closing I always use "force stop" to avoid other questions.

never had that problem at all....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pomchop said:

never had that problem at all....

Nor have I until about a month ago. When all of a sudden, every Google search on my iPhone requires me to complete one or more Captchas. Either that or I get  a message along  the lines of "detected suspicious activity from your IP address. Please try again later."

There is an option on iPhones that is supposed to prevent or reduce this, but it doesn't work for me. See below:

You can turn this bypass on or off. Go to Settings > [your name] > Password & Security, then turn Automatic Verification on or off.

11 hours ago, phetphet said:

I have recently had to stop using it due to constantly being asked to tick Captcha boxes with every search. I tried every remedy that I could find on the internet, without success.

Maybe you block the third-party  cookies - then you can allow  cookies or add www google.com to the white list for cookies. 

Screenshot_2023-01-29-22-25-17-71_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-01-29-22-26-01-61_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-01-29-22-42-02-37_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-01-29-22-27-18-97_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2023-01-29-22-06-44-04_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12~2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Approx 1 or 2 months back Google (Win10/Chrome) started this annoying behaviour of returning search results (I could see the link I wanted) & then immediately refreshing the page sticking loads of ADs above it.

So I switched to Brave (which very helpfully imported all of my bookmarks etc…) 

On my iPhone I mainly use Safari so don’t have the same problem.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, phetphet said:

You or someone on your network have likely been compromised and are sending numerous requests.

5 hours ago, Operator2002 said:

Maybe you block the third-party  cookies - then you can allow  cookies or add www google.com to the white list for cookies. 

You have to do all of that to stop something you did not ask for?

Apart from that I do not normally use the phone for internet but need to download a government app from Google play store. Would not download it to my phone (did not recognise it as one of my devices) and now won't let me log in.

Edited by GreasyFingers

17 hours ago, phetphet said:

That will happen if you are using a VPN 

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2023 at 2:40 AM, ozimoron said:

Do you have a link to anybody "knowing" that?

No.   It has been a while.  But you might be able to find out by trying all of the search engines yourself.  I do that frequently, just because I have a lot of curiosity about all kinds of things.  I don't just depend on other people to find the links for me.  There was something in the news I was looking for before I found out about the discrepancies between google and other search engines.  

I was looking for something that I knew had happened, could not find it with google.  Tried a different search engine and it responded with several links.   Tried other search engines as well.  One had the same results as google did, so I guessed that it was using google as it's search engine, even if it had a different name. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

No.   It has been a while.  But you might be able to find out by trying all of the search engines yourself.  I do that frequently, just because I have a lot of curiosity about all kinds of things.  I don't just depend on other people to find the links for me.  There was something in the news I was looking for before I found out about the discrepancies between google and other search engines.  

I was looking for something that I knew had happened, could not find it with google.  Tried a different search engine and it responded with several links.   Tried other search engines as well.  One had the same results as google did, so I guessed that it was using google as it's search engine, even if it had a different name. 

The rules here are designed to ensure that people back up their arguments with links and don't force other readers to hit google every post. This prevents people from posting lies and conspiracy theories.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The rules here are designed to ensure that people back up their arguments with links and don't force other readers to hit google every post. This prevents people from posting lies and conspiracy theories.

Am I posting lies and conspiracy theories?

• Like 1

Just now, radiochaser said:

Am I posting lies and conspiracy theories?

I never suggested you were. You suggested that you should be able to post anything you like and required readers to prove or disprove your claim. That isn't how the rules here work.

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I never suggested you were. You suggested that you should be able to post anything you like and required readers to prove or disprove your claim. That isn't how the rules here work.

I think you should re read my post.  
I wrote what I do and suggested you might do the same.  I made no demands that you do as I do.   

I am not going to try and repeat what I found in the past and then post links showing the results of each and every search engine I use.   

I see posted comments frequently that causes me to use internet search engines to research what others have posted.  I don't expect them to furnish a one link.  I open several links from different search engines to read them.   I sometimes get caught up in the research and will spend as much as an hour or more reading what I find on the web pages.   Some of those web pages leads me to do additional searches.  I might end up with over 20 tabs open from just one search engine or from multiple searches with one or more search engines.  It can be very interesting.   I thought it might be interesting for you too!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, radiochaser said:

I think you should re read my post.  
I wrote what I do and suggested you might do the same.  I made no demands that you do as I do.   

I am not going to try and repeat what I found in the past and then post links showing the results of each and every search engine I use.   

I see posted comments frequently that causes me to use internet search engines to research what others have posted.  I don't expect them to furnish a one link.  I open several links from different search engines to read them.   I sometimes get caught up in the research and will spend as much as an hour or more reading what I find on the web pages.   Some of those web pages leads me to do additional searches.  I might end up with over 20 tabs open from just one search engine or from multiple searches with one or more search engines.  It can be very interesting.   I thought it might be interesting for you too!

You should imagine that I don't also search. That doesn't take away from my point that it is mandatory to post a link to any claims of fact.

3 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

You should imagine that I don't also search. That doesn't take away from my point that it is mandatory to post a link to any claims of fact.

You don't do internet searches?   Am I miss reading that or not understanding your comment?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

You don't do internet searches?   Am I miss reading that or not understanding your comment?

Apparently you are missing misunderstanding me. I should not need to do an internet search to verify your claims of fact.