Can anyone explain why Immigration is so busy now?

giddyup

It was on news China has 226 million (!) who are traveling.....

And now they can to come here too.

"China saw 226 million domestic trips during the Lunar New Year holiday, state media reported, a 74% surge from last year after the government."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GypsyT said:

"China saw 226 million domestic trips during the Lunar New Year holiday, state media reported, a 74% surge from last year after the government."

Those domestic trips would be mostly migrant workers returning to home villages and provinces for the first time in a few years.  That was previously not allowed due to the strict covid policies banning internal travel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

Because of the Covid situation having less impact.  And restrictions eased. More people, more crowds At immigration 

But there's not more people. Tourists are still down 50% prior to Covid.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Always very busy around Christmas, the new year, and Chinese new year. Nothing new about that. Add catch-ups after the covid restrictions. Hardly surprising it's all a bit hectic.

It's a month since New Year and Xmas.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

It's a month since New Year and Xmas.

Don't forget for a lot of countries Thailand extended it to 45 days on arrival, so you arrive pre-Christmas when numbers were clearly picking up and it's about now you would go down and get an extra 30 days if you had planned on staying.

I think the Russian market and the element that wish to remain for as long as possible is the most obvious non-normal factor. If they can somehow get 1 year visa's they could well also be opening bank accounts and getting driving licenses each of which requires residence certificates from immigration.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, giddyup said:

But there's not more people. Tourists are still down 50% prior to Covid.

There's no other plausible explanation. More people at Immigration translates to more people here in Thailand. My anecdotal observations in Pattaya bear this out. I've never seen so many tourists here (other than the Chinese tours who are yet to arrive) at any time including the 2 years before covid.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DPKANKAN said:

No! I went 'in' the Immigration office at 8.33 am

Did 90 days report.

I came 'out' at 8.36 am

That is in the Immigration office for 3 minutes and did not even need a ticket!

Was that at Khon Kaen. As mine was the same in and out like a flash

• Haha 2

It might be due to the Immigration vehicles I see driving around Pattaya with the camera box on the roof. I read that they have facial recognition cameras to detect over stayers. Can anybody confirm that's true or not? Asking for a friend, lol. Actually, if true, it's a good thing, especially lately.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, GypsyT said:

Brace yourselves for the diesal tour bus invasion

Perfect Storm!

1) TM are being more capricious and pedantic than in the past.

2) Massive influx of Russians who are now not welcome in Europe and other countries and are here avoiding the war.

a. They are now extending their 45-day holiday Visa Exempt and looking for extensions and also Non O visas and others for long stay.

b. Resident Certificates for bank accounts, buying cars and getting driving licenses etc.

c. Also moving from temporary accommodation into renting property and buying houses which require changes in TM30 etc.

• Like 2