Traffic at standstill for one hour as truck-trailer piles into accident scene on Mitraphap Highway - "drunk" driver taken away

webfact

Cover-Template-1100x620-New-copy4-8-768x433.jpg

Daily News Thai Caption: Multiple pile-up

Daily News reported on multiple pile ups involving at least 26 vehicles on the inbound Mitraphap (Friendship) highway at 7.20 last night.

The area of Klang Dong Hill in Korat heading towards Muak Lek then Saraburi and Bangkok is notorious for accidents especially during heavy traffic as was the case last night.

Klang Dong police and highway police officers sealed off the road entirely to sort out the mess and help the victims. 

Four people were injured and one - a foundation rescue worker was killed.

All 7 lanes were shut for an hour creating huge tailbacks. 

5.1-1024x556.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A truck trailer had lost control coming down the hill by Dairy Home and plowed into cars and pick-ups stopped at the site of a previous accident, said Pol Capt Printhorn Yaijantheuk of the Klang Dong police. 

Fourteen vehicles were involved in the second collision. 

Printhorn said that the driver of the truck appeared drunk and was taken away for tests as to what was in his system. 

ASEAN NOW notes that Sunday night traffic inbound to Bangkok on this highway is terrible at the best of times.

When there are accidents it gets a whole lot worse as many people would have experienced last night. 

Many Thais call Mitraphap Highway "Death Highway" especially in the hilly sections after Khao Yai. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-01-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

43 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

I can't help but wonder...if they trained monkeys to drive all Thai vehicles would national road death statistics go up or down?

I posted on another thread... 

IF motorcyclists are removed from the equation the death rate per 100,000 of population is higher in the USA than it is in Thailand. 

Trained monkeys you say ?

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

I can't help but wonder...if they trained monkeys to drive all Thai vehicles would national road death statistics go up or down?

Down, for sure. Monkeys have better self-preserving instincts. Although we evolved from them simians, it seems that that instinct is automatically switched off the moment road users in Thailand get on/into their vehicles. The one in the monkeys are permanently switched on. Back to the drawing board for road users in Thailand, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A truck trailer had lost control coming down the hill by Dairy Home and plowed into cars and pick-ups stopped at the site of a previous accident

That sentence kind of sums up Thai driving standards, doesn't it. An accident as a result of someone plowing into another accident.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF motorcyclists are removed from the equation the death rate per 100,000 of population is higher in the USA than it is in Thailand. 

Sure????  Is the same counting methodology used in both Thailand and in the US of A???? (only those that died at the accident scene).

Doubt it....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

A truck trailer had lost control coming down the hill by Dairy Home and plowed into cars and pick-ups stopped at the site of a previous accident, said Pol Capt Printhorn Yaijantheuk of the Klang Dong police. 

Fourteen vehicles were involved in the second collision. 

Printhorn said that the driver of the truck appeared drunk and was taken away for tests as to what was in his system.

I guess the points system hasn't done anything to curb these idiots.

1 hour ago, dinga said:
4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sure????  Is the same counting methodology used in both Thailand and in the US of A???? (only those that died at the accident scene).

Doubt it....

When presenting such information the excuse is usually that Thailand only those fatalities which actually occurred at the scene... But, to circumnavigate that, stats are taken from WHO estimates. 

The WHO estimates that 25,000 people die each year on Thailands roads. 

Thus: 6000 motorists (4 wheels or more) die each year on Thailands roads. 

Thailand’s population: 71.6 million

Thus: Thailand = 8.37 deaths per 100,000 of population per year (4 wheels or more - cars, lorries, vans, busses etc). 

The USA figure is:  11.08 deaths per 100,000 of population per year (4 wheels or more)

The aggregated road fatality rate would need to be 33,000 per year to reach the USA rate of deaths per-capital (100,000). 

But.... Don’t take my word for it... Run the numbers yourself and see what you come up with. 

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

When presenting such information the excuse is usually that Thailand only those fatalities which actually occurred at the scene... But, to circumnavigate that, stats are taken from WHO estimates. 

Thus: Thailand = 8.37 deaths per 100,000 of population per year (4 wheels or more - cars, lorries, vans, busses etc). 

The USA figure is:  11.08 deaths per 100,000 of population per year (4 wheels or more)

The aggregated road fatality rate would need to be 33,000 per year to reach the USA rate of deaths per-capital (100,000). 

But.... Don’t take my word for it... Run the numbers yourself and see what you come up with. 

Driver = slammer for voluntary manslaughter (as he must have known the risk of driving drunk and he got drunk on his own free will)
Truck owner = pay for the entire damage on all vehicles, all hospital bills and compensate the family of the dead people by calculating their technical income from yesterday to their normal retirement on their actual salary; if not on hand, apply governmental minimum salary plus allowances for children

This has to stop and it needs draconian measures otherwise Thailand will remain the laughing stock ...

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

But a comparison of deaths per 100,000 population isn’t fair, because it doesn’t take into account the higher level of car ownership and use in the US. I do agree that the far greater use of motorbikes does account for much of Thailand’s higher death rate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Not the ruck driver's fault. He saw lots of red and blue flashing lights and though it was a roadside guy selling hammocks????

You have a point! I'm often confused by red and blue flashing lights which turn out to be roadside guys selling stuff. Why is this allowed?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Adumbration said:

If they let the monkeys just drive motorbikes the stats would go way down.

Monkey Ride Bike GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

It's dumbfounding how this major highway is such a piece of Sh**.   Mostly 2 lanes the entire stretch when it should be at least 3 lanes.  Constant breakdowns and slow trucks and tractors making it like a video game. 

Anyone who drives that road a lot knows how exhausting it can be. 

16 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

That bit of road is dangerous because trucks try and overtake on the outside lanes and vehicles and motorbikes drive like maniacs in every lane including the "truck lane". I drove through there a few days ago and some of the driving antics going on in order to overtake each other was absurd. 

Unfortunately I will be on that road tomorrow on my to Bangkok from Isaan.

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I didn’t see that but wonder if your statistics may be skewed,in that I venture that by far the greater % of the population here is traveling on motorcycles (where I believe 80% ? Of deaths occur). Conversely, in USA a far greater % are traveling in 4 wheel vehicles in which case a simple "death rate per total population " calculation comparison is misleading. What you would need is a calculation of the numbers killed as a % of those traveling in a particular mode. Given the everyday appalling driving we witness here I might suggest you are still more likely to die in a 4 wheel vehicle here that USA? 

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There's always one do-gooder on here trying to excuse the appalling driving standards of the locals, when we all know that driving on the roads here is a lottery. How anyone can drive here, even for a day, and say that driving in the US is more dangerous, is beyond belief. 

On 1/30/2023 at 10:17 AM, webfact said:

The area of Klang Dong Hill in Korat heading towards Muak Lek then Saraburi and Bangkok is notorious for accidents especially during heavy traffic as was the case last night.

2 hours outside of Bangkok is "heavy traffic"?

Boy, Bangkok sounds nice. Sounds like the road between LA and Vegas on the weekend. 

No wonder when we were looking for a used car my wife said "No Bangkok cars"  ????