2+ meth tablets will be treated as drug trafficking under proposed new edict

snoop1130

61161EC8-9851-4650-A145-965AB20373B5.png

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul is ready to sign a ministerial edict, which will mean that an individual found in possession of more than one methamphetamine tablet will be treated as a drug trafficker, instead of an addict.

Once the edict is signed, it will be sent to the cabinet for approval and then published in the Royal Gazette prior to enforcement.

Anutin said that the reduction in the amount of meth tablets in the possession of an individual, from 15 or more to two or more, to be regarded as a trafficking offense has been discussed extensively among the agencies concerned.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/2-meth-tablets-will-be-treated-as-drug-trafficking-under-proposed-new-edict/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-01-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Haha 2

short-term effects.....I guess you want sex, talk a lot, increased heart rate, ....

LONG-TERM effects:

• Changes in brain structure and function.
  • Decreased motor skills.
  • Verbal learning declines.
  • Chronic anxiety.
  • Mood disturbances.
  • Aggressive or violent behaviors.
  • Delusions.
  • Paranoia.
  • Visual and auditory hallucinations.
  • Repetitive movements.
  • Memory loss.
  • Severe dental problems.
  • Malnutrition.
  • Thanks 1

he has freed ganja and his associates made a lot of money by investing several years ago.

Now he is killing his competition to increase his market share.

There are some 80% prisoners on drug charges, some 300k incarcarated. That figure likely to multiply after this edict, unless courts would slam only fines 

9 hours ago, BananaStrong said:

LONG-TERM effects:

• Changes in brain structure and function.
  • Decreased motor skills.
  • Verbal learning declines.
  • Chronic anxiety.
  • Mood disturbances.
  • Aggressive or violent behaviors.
  • Delusions.
  • Paranoia.
  • Visual and auditory hallucinations.
  • Repetitive movements.
  • Memory loss.
  • Severe dental problems.
  • Malnutrition.

Sounds just like many normal Thai men to me that don't take the drugs, going by stories on here  !

Edited by RichardColeman

"Under the current narcotics law, possession of more than 15 methamphetamine pills is regarded as possession with intent to traffic and the penalties range from four years to life imprisonment and/or a fine from 400,000 to 5,000,000 baht.

Those who possess fewer than 15 tablets are currently regarded as “patients”, and will be sent for rehabilitation."

Which is quite lenient indeed, but unsurprisingly they got the wrong end of the stick; they should have introduced a mandatory death penalty for production and/or large scale transportation, etc.

13 minutes ago, Boomer6969 said:

Those who possess fewer than 15 tablets are currently regarded as “patients”, and will be sent for rehabilitation."

Which is quite lenient indeed, but unsurprisingly they got the wrong end of the stick; they should have introduced a mandatory death penalty for production and/or large scale transportation, etc.

Not all that lenient as it's 3-6 months treatment (in open prison) and on release they keep your address and pop round for 'random' tests. Fail a subsequent test and it's 2 years in jail.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Why would 2 tablets be considered trafficking?

Hey Meth is nasty stuff but that's just dumb...

The only purpose this serves is to increase jail time for Non-traffickers ....

and allows the RTP to use more aggressive shakedown tactics on all users. presumed guilty of trafficking unless proven otherwise, they'll try on the plastic bags again for confessions

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

and allows the RTP to use more aggressive shakedown tactics on all users. presumed guilty of trafficking unless proven otherwise, they'll try on the plastic bags again for confessions

Trust me.  My wife and all rural villagers know how the yaba traffic works and exactly which people, entities, and institutions are involved.  Meth is big business, big money, and a huge social problem.  Most average (non-Meth users) aren't happy about the drug trade nor those involved either.  It doesn't end because of the nature of the stakeholders making the money.
Bust the plebs for a couple of pills and the 'authorities' (I use that term loosely) are so busy busting nobodies that those actually involved in trafficking are able to skate. 

• Like 2

This terrible terrible policy has been tried and failed many times before.  All it does it punish users with criminal records and jail time turning normal people into hardened criminals with few options in life.  At present 800K, about 1.2% of Thais, are receiving drug treatment.  Well done Anutin on turning most into Criminals - a failed horrible policy.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/31/2023 at 7:43 AM, bamnutsak said:

Anutin wanted to make it zero pills, but Thai legal experts advised him against that.

The meth problem here is GIGANTIC, rarely a week goes by without a bust of MILLIONS of pills. Yes, much of that is transhipment via Thailand for "export", but much falls off the truck and affects the local population.

How about stopping the shipment of precursors from Thailand to Maynamar?

How about arresting someone other than the vehicle driver?

Lowering the threshold from 15 to 2 seems rash, and not very well thought out.

They must be building a lot of new prisons..

Would be interesting to reveal just how many of Thailand's supposedly "top people" are invested in the drug trade.

• Thumbs Up 1

Where do Thai people get these yaba pills? I dont see ANY  who appear to be tweaking out of their minds in Chiang Mai  like I do every day while in the US. 

Nobody offered me druggs in Chiang Ma. Soem years ago foreigners in lower Sukumvit appeared to be selling "Mon what you want?". A Thai man who looked  a penniless beggar offered me "cocaine LSD marijuana extasy " more than 20 years ago on Samui. I assumed that was a police scam. 

In any case I keep walking.