Case of extortion of Taiwanese actress thrusts e-cigarette issues into the spotlight in Thailand

webfact

19 minutes ago, webfact said:

Is the importation of a single personal device and its use in Thailand actually illegal? This question remains largely unanswered and open to "interpretation".

Yes it is, no interpretation required. Why try to muddy the waters?

Edited by Salerno
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Peabody said:

Are dry herb vapes in the same category?

Yes. It's the device and paraphernalia associated that are illegal. 

Nothing to do with the substance as such.  And the offence is evading excise duties, strangely by just buying one even if you buy it in Thailand from a store.

Edited by mommysboy

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Many tourists are confused by the law and there have been calls for signage at airports to clarify the issue as it relates to visitors. 

They are even more confused when they see these illegal products on sale in tourist areas and freely used by Thais in nightclubs. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The import and sale of the devices is illegal. (Thailand)

For reference, also in Cambodia, should anyone decide to do a border run (28th January 2023):

"Authorities cracked down on illegal ‘vape’ or ‘e-cig’ suppliers in Siem Reap.....................Anti-Drug Bureau forces implement the crackdown on businesses that distribute prohibited e-cigarettes"

a1-9.jpeg

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501228588/vaping-crackdown-in-siem-reap/

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Even though the devices are openly on sale everywhere both at markets and online. A point made by the Singaporean known as "Mr Sky" in a call with whistleblower Chuwit Kamonwisit

Wait for the knee jerk reaction as all vaping stalls are raided.

3 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

And in use everywhere

I really wonder where you live,  and the others who say this.  Pattaya?

In parts of Bangkok without farang I hardly see vaping (and certainly not Thais vaping). Outside Bangkok,  I have never seen it at all.

You know,  those lands beyond Soi Buakhao and Soi Bangla are also part of Thailand. 

21 minutes ago, Lorry said:

I really wonder where you live,  and the others who say this.  Pattaya?

In parts of Bangkok without farang I hardly see vaping (and certainly not Thais vaping). Outside Bangkok,  I have never seen it at all.

You know,  those lands beyond Soi Buakhao and Soi Bangla are also part of Thailand. 

You obviously haven't been to Chiang Mai Province over the last few years, or if you have you're not very observant. Vaping is rampant amongst Thais in this part of the world.

• Like 1

Vaping is very bad for me, I get a host of physical and psychological side effects from it.

Tossing and turning at night unable to sleep, terrible nightmares once I do sleep, awaking in the middle of the night with a racing heart, increase in daytime resting heart rate by 30+ BPM, irritability and increase in negative emotion. 

I almost broke up with my girlfriend because I was tying all this to starting shortly after we started dating. I was all set to break up with her, and was starting to hate being in her company, for no reason, as she hadn't done anything bad.

Then one day, because of the constant waking from nightmares with a racing heart, I checked my heart rate throughout the day, and it sat at between 95 and 105 BPM.

I am relatively young and in very good physical shape, so this freaked me out a bit.

So I stopped vaping right away, and within 24 hours all the symptoms above went away. Normal sleep, no nightmares, my resting heart rate sits around 65 BPM, and the craziest thing of all, my affection for my girlfriend returned. 

I stopped smoking some time ago but took up vaping from being around her, because she vapes. So all these symptoms did start since being around her, but it was the vaping. 

Totally shocking to me that it impacted me so much, but I googled and found some corroborating anecdotes. 

So if any of you vape and are having any of these issues, it's worth knocking it on the head for a while to see if it's responsible. 

• Thumbs Up 1