Case of extortion of Taiwanese actress thrusts e-cigarette issues into the spotlight in Thailand

webfact

40 minutes ago, Lorry said:

I really wonder where you live,  and the others who say this.  Pattaya?

In parts of Bangkok without farang I hardly see vaping (and certainly not Thais vaping). Outside Bangkok,  I have never seen it at all.

You know,  those lands beyond Soi Buakhao and Soi Bangla are also part of Thailand. 

Like others said, it's very popular in Chiang Mai. There are two vape shops within a 5 minutes walk from my condo, the shops are always busy, and I'm the only farang I've ever seen in either of them. Though I won't be in them again as I've quit. 

In bars in Chiang Mai, many customers and staff are vaping. 

Case of extortion of Taiwanese actress thrusts e-cigarette issues into the spotlight in Thailand

Well it's obvious - e-cigarettes cause extortion. 

Edited by connda
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, bananafish said:

Vaping is very bad for me, I get a host of physical and psychological side effects from it.

Tossing and turning at night unable to sleep, terrible nightmares once I do sleep, awaking in the middle of the night with a racing heart, increase in daytime resting heart rate by 30+ BPM, irritability and increase in negative emotion. 

I almost broke up with my girlfriend because I was tying all this to starting shortly after we started dating. I was all set to break up with her, and was starting to hate being in her company, for no reason, as she hadn't done anything bad.

Then one day, because of the constant waking from nightmares with a racing heart, I checked my heart rate throughout the day, and it sat at between 95 and 105 BPM.

I am relatively young and in very good physical shape, so this freaked me out a bit.

So I stopped vaping right away, and within 24 hours all the symptoms above went away. Normal sleep, no nightmares, my resting heart rate sits around 65 BPM, and the craziest thing of all, my affection for my girlfriend returned. 

I stopped smoking some time ago but took up vaping from being around her, because she vapes. So all these symptoms did start since being around her, but it was the vaping. 

Totally shocking to me that it impacted me so much, but I googled and found some corroborating anecdotes. 

So if any of you vape and are having any of these issues, it's worth knocking it on the head for a while to see if it's responsible. 

Did you perhaps exercise very little moderation or unwittingly vaped very strong juice?

I mean if you drank 10 cups of strong coffee a day. I'm sure you would have the same issue, as for a bottle of whisky....  Get the drift!  Anything is bad in excess.  

• Like 2

Personally I can't stand vaping but I see hi-so Thai guys doing it all the time at sporting events I go to. It seems like a sort of status thing for them to be seen vaping in public. 

There are dangers associated with vaping but there are also benefits by allowing smokers to at least transition away from tobacco. It seems pointless to ban it on that basis.

As far as tourists are concerned it looks even more ridiculous than Singapore's stupid ban on chewing gum, particularly as there is no publicity put out by TAT warning tourists of severe penalities for vaping and possessing the equipment.  Vapers should be clearly warned and given the opportunity not to come to Thailand at all, if they don't want to cease vaping temporarily.

The TAT could launch a campaign based on "Smoke Dope, Don't Vape" or something similar.

• Haha 2

These guilty officers will have done this kind of thing countless times as will many thousands of others. Even the relentless police checkpoints that are seen in Pattaya ,Phuket and almost everywhere else are there for one purpose only and it aint road safety. 

Nothing but greedy, money grabbing thieves

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

As far as tourists are concerned it looks even more ridiculous than Singapore's stupid ban on chewing gum, particularly as there is no publicity put out by TAT warning tourists of severe penalities for vaping and possessing the equipment.  Vapers should be clearly warned and given the opportunity not to come to Thailand at all, if they don't want to cease vaping temporarily.

Any vaper that says they didn't know it's banned in Thailand is either a liar or been living under a rock. It has been widely discussed, there has been numerous previous issues in news media and social media including the French woman that ended up getting deported, it's been in the descent video on flights for years, there's signage. Non vapers are less likely to have noticed these things just as they've likely not noticed how ludicrous it is to have signs at airline checkin saying ecigs have to be in your carryon luggage ????‍♂️ (technically, just the batteries but the image that goes with the text is full vape).

Fun fact, banned in Singapore too (and numerous other countries).

11 minutes ago, marin said:

When you actually know very little about a country its better to not come off snide. It makes you look kind of silly. 

Yeah, as opposed to you I really know very little about Thailand. 

I have never been there,  all my knowledge is from "The Beach"

I am fairly certain that - I read somewhere recently . . . don't ask me where - that there's a clear distinction between e-cigarettes which contain liquid (of vatious types) and medicinal vaporisers for dry herb.

I'm not being dogmatic or banging a drum here - but the two types of devces are quite different in nature, so it seems logical to distinuish between two different things used for different reasons and in different ways.

But, being in Thailand, a vape is a vape is a vape is a vape . . . so I wouldn't want to argue the point with anyone wearing a skin-tight brown catsuit.

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lorry said:

I really wonder where you live,  and the others who say this.  Pattaya?

In parts of Bangkok without farang I hardly see vaping (and certainly not Thais vaping). Outside Bangkok,  I have never seen it at all.

You know,  those lands beyond Soi Buakhao and Soi Bangla are also part of Thailand. 

At my local 7/11 you'll see the staff sit by the side of the shop chatting and vaping daily. I live down near the end of a soi where not many foreigners venture. Just back from the middle of nowhere in Kalasin and seen people vaping there too (admittedly not many but then the number of ciggy smokers has dropped considerably over the years even out in the boondocks). Yaba does seem to have gained popularity though. 

Edited by GarryP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

Did you perhaps exercise very little moderation or unwittingly vaped very strong juice?

I mean if you drank 10 cups of strong coffee a day. I'm sure you would have the same issue, as for a bottle of whisky....  Get the drift!  Anything is bad in excess.  

When the symptoms were at their worst, I was overindulging, for sure. I had some completely sleepless nights, and when I couldn't sleep, I would sit up and vape some more. Total overkill, no doubt about it.

But a few nights ago, we were having a few drinks at home, and I indulged in a little bit of her vape, and the irritability and trouble sleeping came back. I didn't overdo it, I smoked it less than she did. I didn't check my heart rate, but that might be the main effect that causes all the other symptoms. 

I actually find it quite easily to not smoke and not vape at all, but once I start vaping, I do find it hard to moderate it. When I was a smoker, it was kind of self moderating, as it's intrinsically disgusting and sickening. 

At the height of my vaping symptoms, I would vape in 2 days what my gf vapes in closer to 2 weeks, so it's definitely self-inflicted and dose dependent. But the same symptoms started to come on again a few nights ago with very little intake. 

I'm kind of glad I developed an acute reaction to it now, as it makes it easy to give it up. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I see vapers everywhere, so allow them and sell only above 18 or so....

Correct, why should kids be dictating what adults can do. Those in government should be made to sit on the naughty stair until they apologize and make them legal. It's those that would sell to underaged that should be fined. Mucking Fupid! :post-4641-1156694572:

4 hours ago, sikishrory said:

Apparently not. Theres a few shops selling them

Just because it is opening sold does not make it legal. They can be sold illegally. 

3 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Common misconception that vapes are less harmful - they are not - they are far more toxic than normal cigarettes, and to make matters worse people think they are candy sucking on them all night long - far more than they'd do with a cigarette.

There should be a better effort to educate people on the dangers of vaping, as well as better enforcement to disallow vaping around other people as the toxic fumes are even worse than cigarette second hand smoke. Ever since these cancer vaporizers became more popular I routinely suffer respiratory complications whenever some ***** blows it in my face. I've tried telling people not to so many times but since they don't think of it as cigarettes they keep forgetting every time. I guess the solution is to avoid people who vape completely - no big loss.

Link me to scientific proof in a medical joiurnal

Actually in some parts of the US, it is illegal to sell and distribute vapes and flavored eliquids. However, there are no laws against vaping. So basically they only go after suppliers. This is probably the best route. It is age old question, if prostitution is illegal, who do you go after? Both the prostitutes and Johns or one or the other? 

I am actually glad it is brought to light. Maybe finally they can come to some sort of resolution.

It will all hit the fan tomorrow! when we read the latest news 7 police officers suspended transferred to inactive posts for extortion now where's the Muppet who said don't trust social media trust us for a lost face farce explanation ????

• Like 1

Thailand the land of many laws that are flaunted openly but beware anyway the foot can come down anytime.  

I know some like the lawlessness of Thailand.  I admit it would be cool to own a fancy car or bike and speed around with little risk of being caught and if caught 1-2 I baht should set you free. 

Illegal things I see when I'm in Thailand 

Dildos sold on the streets

Vapes and fluid sold everywhere

Hookers everywhere

Ganga flowers sold everywhere 

Gambling,  and illegal as well as legal lottery Tix sold above legal price

Taxis that refuse fares or using meters,

Litter everywhere.

Cars driving in wrong direction to save a few minutes.

Motor bikes on the sidewalk.  I thought you could get 10k for turning those guys in?

I swear at each light on suk you can witness 5+ people running the red light.  

Speed limits don't apply to personal cars, taxis, or vans. 

Booze sold to underage and at all hours in da villages. 

Such a large % of the population do illegal things themselves so they don't hold anyone else accountable. 

I just must realize it won't change in my lifetime.  Maybe it pays to be a criminal as that is what most Thai people are in reality.  

Edited by Elkski

4 hours ago, bananafish said:

When the symptoms were at their worst, I was overindulging, for sure. I had some completely sleepless nights, and when I couldn't sleep, I would sit up and vape some more. Total overkill, no doubt about it.

But a few nights ago, we were having a few drinks at home, and I indulged in a little bit of her vape, and the irritability and trouble sleeping came back. I didn't overdo it, I smoked it less than she did. I didn't check my heart rate, but that might be the main effect that causes all the other symptoms. 

I actually find it quite easily to not smoke and not vape at all, but once I start vaping, I do find it hard to moderate it. When I was a smoker, it was kind of self moderating, as it's intrinsically disgusting and sickening. 

At the height of my vaping symptoms, I would vape in 2 days what my gf vapes in closer to 2 weeks, so it's definitely self-inflicted and dose dependent. But the same symptoms started to come on again a few nights ago with very little intake. 

I'm kind of glad I developed an acute reaction to it now, as it makes it easy to give it up. 

You simply need the conventional tank system and ordinary strength vape juice. The last year or two has seen the introduction of some incredibly strong disposable and Pod vapers.  Or yes, undoubtedly the ideal solution would be to quit smoking and vaping. I'm the kind of person who can do things to excess too- that's partly why I quit alcohol and I have never regretted it.