Affordable camper van coming to Thailand

CLW

13 minutes ago, phetphet said:

With that side opening, it looks more like a burger van than a camper. ????

Seriously though, I don't think there is much of a market for camper vans here in Thailand. Accommodation being available pretty much everywhere from downright cheap and up.

Quite a few campsites (for tents) though.

With the side window you can consider it dual  purpose.

Is it legal and safe to just pull over anywhere and just sleep the night in Thailand?

My all time favorite vehicle was a Westfalian VW camper.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, phetphet said:

With that side opening, it looks more like a burger van than a camper. ????

Seriously though, I don't think there is much of a market for camper vans here in Thailand. Accommodation being available pretty much everywhere from downright cheap and up.

Quite a few campsites (for tents) though.

Its not this then (pic below).... ???? - but that camper van is pretty much all style over purpose. but, it looks great !I (I think is extortionately priced in the UK (at £60-76,000)

I do agree... there’s hardly a viable market here for camper-vans... or camper vans. 

Its just so easy to rock up in any town or even quietest small village and find an ‘adequate’ room for the night which has AC, private bathroom etc... 

Yet, at the right time of year in the right area... Camping could be great fun. I’ve never tried it here, but still want to - the problem is, the camp-grounds I’ve seen pack in the tents like a music-festival. 

image.png.29a406f912e186280d2cf5c495e415c6.png

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its not this then (pic below).... ???? - but that camper van is pretty much all style over purpose. but, it looks great !I (I think is extortionately priced in the UK (at £60-76,000)

I do agree... there’s hardly a viable market here for camper-vans... or camper vans. 

Its just so easy to rock up in any town or even quietest small village and find an ‘adequate’ room for the night which has AC, private bathroom etc... 

Yet, at the right time of year in the right area... Camping could be great fun. I’ve never tried it here, but still want to - the problem is, the camp-grounds I’ve seen pack in the tents like a music-festival. 

I think that is the new electric VW camper. Looks great, but how to charge it out in the wilds?

10 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I think that is the new electric VW camper. Looks great, but how to charge it out in the wilds?

That alone makes it useless as a camper, plus the 2.4 million baht price tag (in the UK). When you can stay in a hotel in Thailand for 500 baht.

• Like 1

With the amount of pickups that are in this country the ‘Fifth Wheel’ type travel trailers would seem to be the best way to go.

It wouldn’t take much to covert the flat bed to ‘take’ the tow hitch for the fifth-wheel trailer and then people would also have mobility when at their destination. 

It kind of surprises me that these types have not taken off in Europe more so than the standard RV. 

image.png.000dbf0ac5b01755723a85c999d2ab8d.png

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 09.08.06.png

.... and if you wanted something really fugly !!! 

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 09.07.47.png

Edited by richard_smith237

12 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

I had a old Hymer 565 - had solar charger on the roof for the battery so no need for hook ups for several days. Many happy hours touring Europe

2003_03_01_00_18.JPG

Nice. But most times of the year AC is a must, so where to get the electricity?

59 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm getting bugged drivin up and down the same old strip

Gotta find a new place where the kids are hip

I have a camper van in usa that i use often..

BUT as said already by many Thailand is really not a good place for a campervan....you will need a/c as often mosquitoes will eat you alive if camping out in boonies and outside the cool season it will be like sleeping in a sauna.  As far as I know any rv type parks with hookups are basically non existent...

you would likely be much better to stay in cheapie hotels which are vey easy to find especially out in the boonies....if u are intent on camping i would buy a regular car or tuck and a tent and maybe camp out some in the cooler months but of course that is when the thai campers will be doing the same and camping areas can get crowded with tent campers...if you camp out up north in cool season you will also find that it gets darn cold many nights and you would need some serious sleeping bags/blankets etc....so too hot half the year and pretty cold a few months...

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, CLW said:

Nice. But most times of the year AC is a must, so where to get the electricity?

I'd definitely have to add some solar & ESS ...

.. which case, really glad I got the EV, cramped, but paid for, and multi-purpose.

Cross my mind more than a few times to buy a Carry & convert, or go 2nd hand.  AC was the stumbling point.  Was one locally on FB Marketplace, all set  up w/solar & cheap. 

Advert didn't of ph# or sell contact info.  Good thing, as I probably would have bought it, and having the EV now, would have regretted it.

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, CLW said:

If I'd be owning a pickup, those removable tents or cabins would be an option. 

Can't see motorhomes or trailers becoming a trend here. 

I have a huge 6 berth fully equipped motor home ..I thought about shipping it here but ..left it in France ..as many have said accommodation is cheap here ..I've bought a load of camping gear a few decent tents  go camping most weekends ...sorry but the camper idea here isn't viable

45 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I'm getting bugged drivin up and down the same old strip

Gotta find a new place where the kids are hip

My first vehicle purchase was a VW van.  Slept in that many nights.  I was strange teenager.  Most go for 'show' cars to impress, I went for practical.  Next down the line was a station wagon, for same reason, ability to sleep in it.

Great for weekends, and camping, and if you happen to have a krappy home life.

Handy for those too much alcohol nights.

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

My first vehicle purchase was a VW van

My first purchase was a Fiat Spider w/back seat shelf that I bought in Rome and drove around Europe - - and I slept in that too. For a month I had 2 girls from N. Dakota and they slept in it too... I did ship it back to USA but sold it to get the $$ for a one year RTW backpacking adventure... first time in Thailand was 1974... FREEDOM!!

Really not much more than a rolling bed with small cabinet space....No galley, fridge, bathroom or shower....A/C needs 30-50 amp set up....

No infrastructure to support FHU vehicles here.....

Nothing to see here.... I've seen a couple of TTs/caravans for sale here = no A/C.... Imagine sleeping in that.....

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

I'm all set, viewpoint 'camping' in the car ... in AC comfort:

@ 7:15 of the vid

Me and my gf travelled like that with climbing gear, snowboards and I also brought my base rig along for a Norway fjord trip.

But this is the camper I would had bought today.

To hot inside.

To expensive.

To small.

To slow.

Parts a total nightmare.

Hotel and car/pickup, wins hands down every time.\

Ps, Good for Hot dogs and burgers.

but will be a total loss business venture, out lay to high never get your money back.

Edited by Orinoco