Affordable camper van coming to Thailand

CLW

10 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

I don't mind cost sharing or renting. A camper is nice for an advanture but not owning one.

Same as what I think about boats.

Thailand is just not set up for this sort of thing.

Your just romancing, of this type of life back in Falang land.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 12:21 PM, In Full Agreement said:

With the side window you can consider it dual  purpose.

Is it legal and safe to just pull over anywhere and just sleep the night in Thailand?

My all time favorite vehicle was a Westfalian VW camper.

Traveled 23 Mexican states in the VW Camper during the 1979-1980 academic year while on an unpaid sabbatical leave. Loved it ... Thailand certainly has the potential to further develpop their national parks with camping facilities.

On 1/31/2023 at 12:01 PM, phetphet said:

With that side opening, it looks more like a burger van than a camper. ????

Seriously though, I don't think there is much of a market for camper vans here in Thailand. Accommodation being available pretty much everywhere from downright cheap and up.

Quite a few campsites (for tents) though.

Lots of people use camper vans in Thailand, they've been around for years.

On 1/31/2023 at 2:08 PM, Harveyboy said:

I have a huge 6 berth fully equipped motor home ..I thought about shipping it here but ..left it in France ..as many have said accommodation is cheap here ..I've bought a load of camping gear a few decent tents  go camping most weekends ...sorry but the camper idea here isn't viable

Not only is it viable, it's popular with Thais. 

However, you couldn't bring yours in from France as no second hand vehicles are allowed to be imported.

On 1/31/2023 at 1:58 PM, KhunLA said:

I'd definitely have to add some solar & ESS ...

.. which case, really glad I got the EV, cramped, but paid for, and multi-purpose.

Cross my mind more than a few times to buy a Carry & convert, or go 2nd hand.  AC was the stumbling point.  Was one locally on FB Marketplace, all set  up w/solar & cheap. 

Advert didn't of ph# or sell contact info.  Good thing, as I probably would have bought it, and having the EV now, would have regretted it.

Just thinking out loud: How about using a small gasoline generator for powering A/C while standing

On 1/31/2023 at 2:13 PM, KhunLA said:

My first vehicle purchase was a VW van.  Slept in that many nights.  I was strange teenager.  Most go for 'show' cars to impress, I went for practical.  Next down the line was a station wagon, for same reason, ability to sleep in it.

Great for weekends, and camping, and if you happen to have a krappy home life.

Handy for those too much alcohol nights.

But not much good in the pussy magnet department.

well you see more and more Thai going out and have a "shake & stand" tent.

So it could increase these days, if there were more campings.

And also caravans and or RV's, but now they arent there in Thailand.

Suzuki breaking open the market?

Yes, i know, hotels are cheap and with airco.

However there are people who just love to camp and it is not available in Thailand.

Maybe a new market on the rise?

22 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

well you see more and more Thai going out and have a "shake & stand" tent.

So it could increase these days, if there were more campings.

And also caravans and or RV's, but now they arent there in Thailand.

Suzuki breaking open the market?

Yes, i know, hotels are cheap and with airco.

However there are people who just love to camp and it is not available in Thailand.

Maybe a new market on the rise?

Opportunity to open a rental for RVs

16 minutes ago, CLW said:

Opportunity to open a rental for RVs

Jomtien about 18 years ago could be more, an American guy had 4 or 5 big trailers 

kitted out same as an Rv, hooked up to a pick up with a 5 wheel coupling.

think  he lasted a year. gone.

There is just no market for it here.

22 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Jomtien about 18 years ago could be more, an American guy had 4 or 5 big trailers 

kitted out same as an Rv, hooked up to a pick up with a 5 wheel coupling.

think  he lasted a year. gone.

There is just no market for it here.

Wrong time. Not working. 

Electric car , 18 years ago, not there. Now they are everywhere and a blooming business. 

Thats business

8 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Wrong time. Not working. 

Electric car , 18 years ago, not there. Now they are everywhere and a blooming business. 

Thats business

Please go ahead and start an RV rental business.

The reality will come calling very quick. in Thailand.

Good luck.

On 1/31/2023 at 3:09 PM, richard_smith237 said:

With the amount of pickups that are in this country the ‘Fifth Wheel’ type travel trailers would seem to be the best way to go.

It wouldn’t take much to covert the flat bed to ‘take’ the tow hitch for the fifth-wheel trailer and then people would also have mobility when at their destination. 

It kind of surprises me that these types have not taken off in Europe more so than the standard RV. 

image.png.000dbf0ac5b01755723a85c999d2ab8d.png

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 09.08.06.png

.... and if you wanted something really fugly !!! 

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 09.07.47.png

Don't think the pickup trucks here have the payload capacity or the hitch capacity to tow anything, or the proper suspension set up. The rear end would wind up dragging on the road.  In the US the best towing capacity for a mid size pickup truck is about 5-6,000 pounds.

Here is your answer:  

https://www.cruiseamerica.com/buy-used-rvs/rv-sales-inventory-usa/lance-650-truck-camper?stockNumber=174174

20 large, drop this onto your pickup truck, and the open roads are yours!

We rented a small RV last year for a month tour of the American southwest. It was fabulous- grilling steaks under the open sky at night, waking up to million dollar views in national parks, being self contained and independent.... I would recommend it for anyone.

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

We rented a small RV last year for a month tour of the American southwest. It was fabulous- grilling steaks under the open sky at night, waking up to million dollar views in national parks, being self contained and independent.... I would recommend it for anyone.

Yes, all that in Thailand.

oh wait, maybe not.

2 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Please go ahead and start an RV rental business.

The reality will come calling very quick. in Thailand.

Good luck.

Problem is you would have to compete with relatively cheap and abundance of accommodation near potential campsites / RV hook ups. Most people use a car to get there, that they already own. So the rental price per day must be lower than the average accommodation cost for a double room, lets say 1,500 to 2,000 THB. Even without calculating it, can't see this making any money.... Not yet. With more demand maybe

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

Not only is it viable, it's popular with Thais. 

However, you couldn't bring yours in from France as no second hand vehicles are allowed to be imported.

I've seen a lot of  foreign campers here I spoke to a couple of people in jomtien in a french camper they had driven here ....how would that work...how long could they stay ?.. as I said the cons outweigh the pros to having a camper here ..but nevermind it's stl in a lock up in France so can use it a few times a year ..did a 6 week road trip France Spain last year ..magic ..

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Problem is you would have to compete with relatively cheap and abundance of accommodation near potential campsites / RV hook ups. Most people use a car to get there, that they already own. So the rental price per day must be lower than the average accommodation cost for a double room, lets say 1,500 to 2,000 THB. Even without calculating it, can't see this making any money.... Not yet. With more demand maybe

Yes,  a total non starter.  some just can't see it.