What to do if Thai police stop you and attempt a ‘shake-down’

snoop1130

For most of us, I would prefer the cops here, unless there is a real need for one. Then, it is roll of the dice. At least the cops here stay out of my face, and when they do hassle me, I push back alot. I mouth off to them, I raise my voice, and I make a real stink, if they are engaging in "petty mordida". Usually they back down, and if not I give them 200 baht. Rarely more than that. Impossible to do in the US. And if you need law enforcement, outstanding forensics, or a good detective, you can get it back there. Not here. Not likely.  

DUI? How about pulling people over for reckless driving? 

The police here are not law enforcement. They are franchisees. The franchisees who represent a morally bankrupt administration, posing as puritans. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Woof999 said:

This article said that, if you'd done something wrong and were offered an on the spot fine, it would likely be a lot less hassle and cost than going to court.

Sounds like decent advice to me.

the most obvious point here is ............................."""IF""" you'd done something wrong!!!

in a lot of cases you haven't and that is the problem

Edited by metisdead
Odd formatting reset to normal.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

On the other hand, if you’ve done something wrong – speeding, drunk, drunk driving, possession of a small amount of drugs, caught vaping or with a vaping  device – be prepared to negotiate an on-the-spot fine and payment.

Love it or leave it.....LOVE IT!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, smedly said:

the most obvious point here is ............................."""IF""" you'd done something wrong!!!

in a lot of cases you haven't and that is the problem

thst's the point of the article - they can't directly say it though, can they?

23 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

HAHAHA... I spent 5 years in Costa Rica and believe me there is more than enough corruption to go around.

Actually comparing GN&C in Thailand to other countries is rather pointless - it doesn't mitigate or justify it and it isn't a competition.

But - corruption in Thailand has some very unique qualities that distinguish it from other countries and t=trying to say they are one and te same is to not understand how it works in Thailand - it is engrained in a millennium of Thai history and has the approval of 65% of the population.

This is how it works for me:

- Good morning Sir.; Here is my ID card and 200BHT... I‘d like to pay a coffee to you.

-Thank u, Falang, have a good day.

Edited by Tarteso
  • Haha 1

If they think you are an easy target they will try , like some of the posters who say they give money to police as soon as they are stopped, bet they get stopped all the time ,   If on the other hand they think it’s going to be too hard you’ll not pay anything,  only had me one time for 100 baht , never will get a baht from me again  , unless I do something wrong

• Like 1

Complete B/S , why, this advocates ways to bribe corrupt Police Officers and also states can can stop if they have a susp[icion. Which means in Police speak for any reason I can think of ! The old ways and means act, stop then think of a reason !

My take on this , if stopped immediately afterwards if threatened, harrassed or kust angry go the the hearest Police Station and lodge a formal complaint. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sandboxer said:

Just pretend you're deaf mute (or retard) and start making snorty sounds while holding your hands up in the international "huh" gesture. Works every time I hear^^.

And if you want to get dramatic, also burp and fart a lot.

13 hours ago, Elkski said:

I can't see them emptying their trouser and shirt pockets upon your request prior to searching your bags.  I can't imagine they are going to let you call someone.  

The Taiwanese actress said they were prevented from calling or filming. The 'rules', the advice, in this article doesn't relate to the real world and frightened and intimidated folk going about their innocent business - unlike the police. If Thailand didn't have a police force it would cut the crime rate by half.

• Like 1