Bringing Cheese to Thailand via airport

croftrobin

An indirect answer..... whether there are any rules, i don't know, but I used to bring a couple of kilos of mature cheddar  for a mate in Pattaya. Never actually gave it a thought, just packed it in my suitcase...then again I never got stopped.

Have you asked Mr G?   (Google, that is)   Or even search this forum.....

From 2016:

I have found that -- as it may be 30 hours without refrigeration door-to-door -- that the oil in high quality cheeses begins to separate. And when frozen, the texture is never the same.

So I have at times brought in this shelf-stable staple for Mexican-style cooking:

image.jpeg.a65275095ad4c678cc8611b66d526b25.jpeg

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Screaming said:

A great way to bring in cheese to Thailand is to disguise the cheese on the person.

cheese.jpg

I was just going to post something like that, LOL.  If customs ask about the hat, just tell them you're from Emmental.

16 minutes ago, croftrobin said:

I have a flight change in the Middle East so would you recommend I pack it in my suitcase rather than hand luggage?

Here's what l do. l wrap the cheese in newspaper leave it in the fridge for a couple of nights pack it in my carryon when l get to the hotel l put it in the room fridge next morning back in the carryon for next flight to Khon Kaen then driven to Kalasin and straight in home fridge. Always about 6KG of cheese and always still cold each time. Never freeze it. Australia to Kalasin.

23 minutes ago, croftrobin said:

I have a flight change in the Middle East so would you recommend I pack it in my suitcase rather than hand luggage?

Forgot. Another way l have done it to save lugging cheese around is same thing with newspaper and fridges but also pack it in one of those $2 freezer bags and put in suitcase then wrap your clothes around it. Both ways work well.

• Like 1

I do it regularly and I have been stopped as my suitcase has often looked like a mini version of Tesco express.

They have never said anything about 4 or 5 kilos of cheese, only one time when they stopped me they queried what the HP brown sauce was, as it had come up on the scanners and  I think that they thought they were bottles of spirits

3 hours ago, pest said:

Just brought a kg in from Oz no problem 

It's only no problem if you're not stopped by Customs and it isn't confiscated as all food is a restricted item that, officially, needs an import permit.   I'm guessing that you didn't declare yours!

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bruce1054 said:

Here's what l do. l wrap the cheese in newspaper leave it in the fridge for a couple of nights pack it in my carryon when l get to the hotel l put it in the room fridge

As with a post above, most hotel fridges would not hold 5-10 kilos of cheese.

I remember, once in USA 5 - 10 years ago, having the branded container of hummus I had just bought for a carry-on lunch confiscated by the TSA before a domestic flight.

4 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

As with a post above, most hotel fridges would not hold 5-10 kilos of cheese.

I remember, once in USA 5 - 10 years ago, having the branded container of hummus I had just bought for a carry-on lunch confiscated by the TSA before a domestic flight.

The hotel l stay at has Bar fridge the most l got into it once was 10x1kg blocks

15 minutes ago, Bruce1054 said:

The hotel l stay at has Bar fridge the most l got into it once was 10x1kg blocks

Well OK but filling up my carry-on with 5-10 kilos of cheese is not top of my list as to what goes in my carryon for long international flights.

I once had to spend 3 days at LAX airport (one night literally in the terminal and 2 nights at nearby hotels courtesy of the airline) due to flight delays and cancellations and all I had -- as I had already checked in 2 large duffel bags -- was what was in my carryon.

1 minute ago, jerrymahoney said:

Well OK but filling up my carry-on with 5-10 kilos of cheese is not top of my list as to what goes in my carryon for long international flights.

I once had to spend 3 days at LAX airport (one night literally in the terminal and 2 nights at nearby hotels courtesy of the airline) due to flight delays and cancellations and all I had -- as I had already checked in 2 large duffel bags -- was what was in my carryon.

Just some tips of what l do, Nobody has to do it. It works for me direct from Australia.

Just now, jerrymahoney said:

Well OK but from USA is a bit different -- I have tried it several times and not pleased with the results.

Maybe a Kilo or 2 in a $2  freezer bag in the suitcase. Admittedly it's only a 8 and a half hour flight. You guys have a long haul for sure.

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I bring in 5-10 kilos of goat and aged manchego cheese nearly every time I return, in my carry on. It is 70% lower in cost than in Thailand, where it is exorbitant. Never had an issue. It causes me to always have my bag searched by TSA, in the US, on the way out. I guess it looks like plastic explosive on the screens. 

So, yes do it. Deprive them of their silly taxes. It is a real treat for friends, family and self, to have it here. I freeze most of it. 

Which USA airlines allows 10 kilos of carry on? Sounds generous.