Koh Tao deaths and the mystery around them

1 hour ago, Spectator2020 said:

Please keep in mind that Sharlyn spent some years as a student and working in the USA so she was not a typical Japanese woman who might seek to avoid most confrontations. 

She was certainly very outgoing and likeable, i think from memory she had a part American accent

• Love It 1

17 hours ago, Spectator2020 said:

<removed>

Yoshie Sazawa aka Sharlyn was a Japanese national who was very proficient in English having undertaken some schooling in the USA and having worked as an expert translator.

Sharlyn had been in a de facto relationship with Michael Spjuth for many years and they lived together in both Bangkok and on Koh Tao where Michael founded BIG BLUE DIVING.

Sharlyn and Michael both worked as scuba ???? diving instructors at BIG BLUE DIVING.

In June 2004 Sharlyn and Michael were estranged and Sharlyn was living alone in a house on Koh Tao. 

The night before she vanished Sharlyn attended a party on Koh Tao where she was reportedly in good spirits.

Sharlyn vanished on 18 June 2004 and a number of searches were conducted commencing at her house which was found to be empty.

Sharlyn’s body was eventually discovered on 25 January 2004 outside in the jungle and it was in a very bad state with several people reporting that birds had pecked at it.  There were also reports of injuries to her body.

There was no reporting in the mainstream media at the time and this was a time before social media exploded onto the scene.

How do you know it was outside, what makes you so sure you are speaking the truth, did you find her? 

2 hours ago, Spectator2020 said:

I was not on the island in 2004 when Sharlyn died but in 2021 I received a number of tips from people who were on the island or who received information from friends & relatives on the island at the time.

It would be both irresponsible and unfair for me to publish everything I’ve been told because it is so difficult to obtain any really solid, cogent evidence of what transpired.

However, I have published some limited information on YouTube that was widely known on the island at the time.  Of course, it would be unknown to virtually everyone outside Koh Tao.

Sharlyn was very popular but she was also outspoken and in dispute with several parties.  Please keep in mind that Sharlyn spent some years as a student and working in the USA so she was not a typical Japanese woman who might seek to avoid most confrontations. 

Firstly, she was an environmentalist which made her unpopular with some people.

Secondly, Sharlyn was highly critical of a few people associated with BIG BLUE DIVING over the way female diving students from Japan were being treated.... 

Ok i see you have published 2nd hand information which you have chosen to believe. So now publish all the things you are not sure whether to believe. Names can be left out, but you have opened the can already so not sure why you need to stop?

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, rankric said:

Ok i see you have published 2nd hand information which you have chosen to believe. So now publish all the things you are not sure whether to believe. Names can be left out, but you have opened the can already so not sure why you need to stop?

I am informed that there is a war going on in Ukraine ???????? right now. I’m not there to see it with my own eyes ???? but I believe the reports I’ve seen, ok? 

Rankric, apparently you don’t like to pay attention but I mentioned the name of Andy Fritz above. He was a friend of both Sharlyn and Michael Spjuth who confirmed that Michael was looking for her and that her house had already been checked.

1 minute ago, Spectator2020 said:

I am informed that there is a war going on in Ukraine ???????? right now. I’m not there to see it with my own eyes ???? but I believe the reports I’ve seen, ok? 

Rankric, apparently you don’t like to pay attention but I mentioned the name of Andy Fritz above. He was a friend of both Sharlyn and Michael Spjuth who confirmed that Michael was looking for her and that her house had already been checked.

So what are you trying to say as the owner died in 2021 and you were only told information in that year about the ladies death. Are you saying both deaths are connected and the issue she had with the dive school was surely directed towards the owner.

But lets face it, both are dead and your information leans into a dispute between two dead people. 

Kind of a lame story or at least the way you are telling it, is.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

She was certainly very outgoing and likeable, i think from memory she had a part American accent

Sharlyn was already fluent in English when she befriended an American exchange student who was staying in Japan ???????? Sharlyn had already lived abroad in Borneo where she probably first picked up English. The American exchange student and her family invited Sharlyn to live with them in the USA and attend an American high school and as you can guess, Sharlyn accepted the invitation. It was at the American high school that she adopted the name Sharlyn. 

She later worked in the USA too. 

174A66D0-BDD1-49D1-BDBE-E753EE1109E3.png

• Like 1

It is funny how people and the world are obsessed with ko tao while in fact it is phangan, where almost weekly 1-2 foreigners die. If you take that times X years, or even a few decades, and compare it to the deaths on tao, well wow.

These deaths are often: suspicious suicides, found death in the bed (monthly 1+), murders just not reported, 'accidents' etc.

Not to mention the crazy tantra people with decades of unpunished mental and sexual abuse of people, or russians biting of fingers. And yes, a stable person could become mind <deleted> entirely by certain of these spiritual groups, and in fact do commit suicide too.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, rankric said:

So what are you trying to say as the owner died in 2021 and you were only told information in that year about the ladies death. Are you saying both deaths are connected and the issue she had with the dive school was surely directed towards the owner.

But lets face it, both are dead and your information leans into a dispute between two dead people. 

Kind of a lame story or at least the way you are telling it, is.

Michael Spjuth did die in December 2021.

I learned of Sharlyn’s death in about early November 2021.

I confirm that I stated that Sharlyn was in dispute with several parties and not just with Michael. Not all those parties are still on Koh Tao. 

It seems highly likely that Sharlyn was murdered and the circumstances covered-up by the police and others but I do not know who the killer was if she was in fact murdered. 

8 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Oh please, 24 deaths on all the tourists that come there for all those years. There are more dangerous places in Thailand. The amount of deaths is actually a joke if you compare it to let's say Phangan, like described in my comment above.

But yeah, neither of those islands, are good to be long-term, if you ask me. It is not even the real Thailand nor does it feel like that.

Some of the more dangerous folks on Koh Tao actually came from Koh Phangan ie. Santi Khokpool.

AD219631-6119-49AB-8AA7-4BA07CD771FB.png

2 hours ago, save the frogs said:

just watched an australian lawyer on youtube discussing her death.

he said police issued press release claiming her body was found in her house with a suicide note. 

witnesses claim her body was found in the jungle. 

and he also points out that some deaths are related to negligence by diving company personnel, so not necessarily murder, but possible cover-ups of negligence. he also specifies that some expats have "been negligent or acted in a criminal way to the detriment of tourists". not just thais. 

Hey! Nice post.  I think that Australian lawyer published several videos on YouTube about Yoshie Sazawa aka Sharlyn.

Now I might be biased but I find him far more credible and far better educated than the trolls who lurk about in this forum spreading disinformation.

Cheers

Edited by CharlieH
Personal info removed as per forum rules.
  • Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Spectator2020 said:

Michael Spjuth did die in December 2021.

I learned of Sharlyn’s death in about early November 2021.

<snip>

She died in 2004, you learned of her death in 2021 and are posting here like you know it all? Please.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

It is funny how people and the world are obsessed with ko tao while in fact it is phangan, where almost weekly 1-2 foreigners die. If you take that times X years, or even a few decades, and compare it to the deaths on tao, well wow.

These deaths are often: suspicious suicides, found death in the bed (monthly 1+), murders just not reported, 'accidents' etc.

Not to mention the crazy tantra people with decades of unpunished mental and sexual abuse of people, or russians biting of fingers. And yes, a stable person could become mind <deleted> entirely by certain of these spiritual groups, and in fact do commit suicide too.

Deaths on phangan wouldn't surprise me at all with all the drugs and dropouts living there forever with no money

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Spectator2020 said:

The Royal Thai Police and you might take the liberty of talking on behalf of Sharlyn’s family but in so doing your assertions have no credibility whatsoever but it demonstrates that you accept what the police say. 

Who, apart from you, said that the RTP and I were "talking on behalf of her family"?    Such garbage.   They weren't. 

Any reason for me not to accept what the police, the forensic pathologists and her family said in the absence of anything, with credibility, contradicting it?  Perhaps the police, etc., were correct in this case, you sure don't know any different.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 scuba ???? diving instructors who died on Koh Tao.

Top left: Mr Ban shot dead on Sairee Beach ???? 

Centre: Neil Giblin (48)

Top right: Yoshie Sazawa aka Sharlyn (39)

Bottom left: Alain Dolfen (50) died following night dive on 19 March 2021.

Bottom right: Michael Spjuth died from brain injuries received from motorbike crash. 

2 divemasters to die were Hanspeter Suter from Switzerland ???????? and Hiroshi from Japan ???????? who died after partaking in a snorkel test . 

E228BB8F-BF8A-4880-96CD-2B9C79759281.png

13 hours ago, Spectator2020 said:

5 scuba ???? diving instructors who died on Koh Tao.

Top left: Mr Ban shot dead on Sairee Beach ???? 

Centre: Neil Giblin (48)

Top right: Yoshie Sazawa aka Sharlyn (39)

Bottom left: Alain Dolfen (50) died following night dive on 19 March 2021.

Bottom right: Michael Spjuth died from brain injuries received from motorbike crash. 

2 divemasters to die were Hanspeter Suter from Switzerland ???????? and Hiroshi from Japan ???????? who died after partaking in a snorkel test . 

E228BB8F-BF8A-4880-96CD-2B9C79759281.png

So?  It's common knowledge that many people die in accidents and occasionally a shooting, you're not revealing anything new by making a list of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So?  It's common knowledge that many people die in accidents and occasionally a shooting, you're not revealing anything new by making a list of them.

You’re right! People do get murdered on Death Island. The clue is in the name I guess. It comes as no surprise to you Lou. 

19 minutes ago, Saphan said:

Ok nothing suss. Then all fell over.

Everyone who falls over and dies on Koh Tao, for whatever reason, is officially recorded as having died of “natural causes.” Simple huh? That keeps the stats down, keeps official crime rates down and keeps the tourists rolling in. 

2FE443E1-01EA-42EF-9A93-161DB23BCB92.png

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Saphan said:

Ok nothing suss. Then all fell over.

You make a claim, when questioned on the statistics of your claim you try to ridicule the question.  Strange methodology since all you need to do is provide the statistics you base your claim on.