Koh Tao deaths and the mystery around them

12 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You make a claim, when questioned on the statistics of your claim you try to ridicule the question.  Strange methodology since all you need to do is provide the statistics you base your claim on.

So you operate a business there but pretend to be unbiased. Ok sure.

People can read the evidence and see what has happened.

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You make a claim, when questioned on the statistics of your claim you try to ridicule the question.  Strange methodology since all you need to do is provide the statistics you base your claim on.

Don’t worry Saphan, some folks simply have no sense of humour when they’re preoccupied with covering up crimes on behalf of some psychos on Koh Tao. The rest of us thought your comment was witty

54 minutes ago, Saphan said:

So you operate a business there but pretend to be unbiased. Ok sure.

People can read the evidence and see what has happened.

What makes you say I operate a business on Koh Tao? Even stronger, no divers on Koh Tao is good for me.

It's just that I'm convinced this whole death island narrative is nonsense.

Just now, stevenl said:

What makes you say I operate a business on Koh Tao? Even stronger, no divers on Koh Tao is good for me.

It's just that I'm convinced this whole death island narrative is nonsense.

So these people tripped over rocks or hung themselves with hands tied behind back and non matching injuries with no questions to ask. I know about suss deaths elsewhere. Made to look like accidents too.

• Love It 1

Just now, Saphan said:

So these people tripped over rocks or hung themselves with hands tied behind back and non matching injuries with no questions to ask. I know about suss deaths elsewhere. Made to look like accidents too.

First a personal attack on me, when pointed out your suppositions are incorrect you change tactics.

I'm done with you.

6 hours ago, Spectator2020 said:
9 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So?  It's common knowledge that many people die in accidents and occasionally a shooting, you're not revealing anything new by making a list of them.

You’re right! People do get murdered on Death Island. The clue is in the name I guess. It comes as no surprise to you Lou. 

People get murdered in every other country also.   It's name is Koh Tao, I guess that comes as a surprise to you.

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

People get murdered in every other country also.   It's name is Koh Tao, I guess that comes as a surprise to you.

Small island with over a dozen suss deaths. Why not Lanta or Ao Nang?

Why do Thais say things about the island?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

The police major general who headed the rape investigation, Surachate Hakparn, said in an interview with The Times that the police have cracked down on crime syndicates on Koh Tao since the backpackers’ double killing.

“We admit that in the past, there was a mafia there that took advantage of tourists,” he said. “Today, we have gotten rid of them.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/03/world/asia/thailand-koh-tao-death-island.html

• Love It 1

27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Not so long ago there was a country known as Siam that changed its name to Thailand, which ironically means the “Land of the Free.” When a citizen described himself or herself  as a “Thai”, it was a statement that they were a free citizen and not one of the many slaves. 

There used to be a tiny little island in the Gulf of Thailand called Koh Tao but with the strenuous effort of the locals over so many years to murder people on the island, many people on social media started calling the place Death Island ????

One day, the Samui Times referred to the new name in a throw away line and the next thing we knew, the international media referred to the place as DEATH ISLAND and for very good reason. 

Edited by Spectator2020

1 hour ago, Saphan said:
1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You're the one saying that they're "suss", even the ones that have been investigated and sorted.  If you're saying that any particular ones are suss (English couple banging on the beach excepted) and you've got something to back it up, that's great, if you're just saying that they are "suss" for no rationa; reason (and hearsay and speculation doesn't count) that's a different matter.   

I just did. Senior police admitted the island was dodgy.

No, you did not.  Which specific cases are "suss" and based on what that isn't speculative or hearsay?    Where has it been reported that "senior police admitted the island was dodgy" and to whom di they make that admission?

53 minutes ago, Spectator2020 said:

There used to be a tiny little island in the Gulf of Thailand called Koh Tao but with the strenuous effort of the locals over so many years to murder people on the island, many people on social media started calling the place Death Island ????

"...with the strenuous effort of the locals over so many years to murder people on the island..."

Garbage speculation.    How many people have been proved to have been murdered there?

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

No, you did not.  Which specific cases are "suss" and based on what that isn't speculative or hearsay?    Where has it been reported that "senior police admitted the island was dodgy" and to whom di they make that admission?

I posted the link. Try reading it.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"...with the strenuous effort of the locals over so many years to murder people on the island..."

Garbage speculation.    How many people have been proved to have been murdered there?

Mostly been covered up if you read the news. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Saphan said:

The police major general who headed the rape investigation, Surachate Hakparn, said in an interview with The Times that the police have cracked down on crime syndicates on Koh Tao since the backpackers’ double killing.

“We admit that in the past, there was a mafia there that took advantage of tourists,” he said. “Today, we have gotten rid of them.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/03/world/asia/thailand-koh-tao-death-island.html

Here is the link admitting mafia run island.

• Thumbs Up 1

Has anyone ever noticed how young most of the people were who died in suspicious circumstances on Koh Tao? Anthony Cardullo aka Tony Lotus was only 44. His friends reported that he had been threatened by the island mafia. For those of you who don’t know, Tony was founder of the iconic LOTUS BAR, the most popular bar on Sairee Beach and regarded as a gold mine. 

He might have thought nothing bad would ever happen to him even though he was well aware of the assassination of Mr Ban in 2002 at the age of just 42.

Tony was found dead in November 2013. 

E133557C-36CC-4043-B8A1-0B4751E894B9.png

• Like 1

Nick Pearson was only 25 when he was found bruised and floating in the sea on New Year’s Day 2014. He’d been put to bed with an injured foot but the local cops came up with an utterly implausible explanation of how he died. The police explanations and arguments are every bit as preposterous as those advanced by the trolls and Koh Tao apologists leaving messages in this forum. 

9D7B2C38-5943-47CE-BC01-8338896B193C.png

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Spectator2020 said:

His friends reported that he had been threatened by the island mafia.

I read a blog once by a farang in Thailand. Not sure what part of Thailand he was in, but he said if you open a bar you run the risk of the mafia approaching you and threatening you because you are in direct competition with them.

They will give a warning. So you do have the option to get out of there.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/3/2023 at 5:44 PM, Spectator2020 said:

The Bangkok Post article from November 2021 was hardly “comprehensive.”  The paper did little more than state what the Royal Thai Police spokesmen asserted in press releases sent out in response to material I published on Facebook and YouTube. No one from the Bangkok Post or the Chiang Rai Times or The Thaiger or Matichon or any other news service that covered the story contacted me for comment despite the fact that my contact details were all over my stories. 

The press releases were riddled with false and misleading statements. 

In all the years I have been here, I have never seen the Bangkok Post do a real investigative article. They don't have it in them. Copy and paste. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spectator2020 said:

Nick Pearson was only 25 when he was found bruised and floating in the sea on New Year’s Day 2014. He’d been put to bed with an injured foot but the local cops came up with an utterly implausible explanation of how he died. The police explanations and arguments are every bit as preposterous as those advanced by the trolls and Koh Tao apologists leaving messages in this forum. 

9D7B2C38-5943-47CE-BC01-8338896B193C.png

The cops on Dark Taa have always been defenders and excuse makers for the mischief making familes, and serial killing family on the island. They are bought and paid for. Zero credibility. Nada. 

• Love It 1

In the early days (maybe pre-2005 or so) there were plenty of issues on Koh Tao.  A few major things improved the situation, from the DAN center originally and actual nurses and doctors living on the island, to better water distribution resulting in a lot less nasty infections.  I wasn't there when Colin O'Brady was burnt, but his recovery was likely due to those improvements.

Many of the problems with crimes not being solved went to the fact that the police weren't exactly trained as police until much later.  It was effectively an honorary appointment.  

As for Suzanne, well... she had a bit of an axe to grind.  Not sure how much that impacted her stoking of flames.

https://www.birminghamworld.uk/news/birmingham-diver-ian-jacobs-thailand-4023618

New article just appeared in BIRMINGHAM WORLD written by journalist, Asmita Sarkar.

She focuses upon the January 2000 death of Birmingham man, Ian Jacobs who was found with a broken neck. It is a follow up piece to her earlier article about the death of fellow Birmingham man, Neil Giblin who was also found dead on Koh Tao. 

There is also a mention of Ben Harrington who died there in 2012. 

RIP

2E34DA0C-C48F-4BC2-B4B4-951D716F3ECC.png

5EEF6AAC-D353-4326-AC9A-93F2DA65059E.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spectator2020 said:

https://www.birminghamworld.uk/news/birmingham-diver-ian-jacobs-thailand-4023618

New article just appeared in BIRMINGHAM WORLD written by journalist, Asmita Sarkar.

She focuses upon the January 2000 death of Birmingham man, Ian Jacobs who was found with a broken neck. It is a follow up piece to her earlier article about the death of fellow Birmingham man, Neil Giblin who was also found dead on Koh Tao. 

RIP

Interesting, pity no mention of any motive why he would be killed

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Spectator2020 said:

RIP

all stirred up by you & su Buchanan....!
Ben Harringtons own brother has said it was an accident as he knew ben had been drinking. 
you have an unhealthy obsession with `Tao.... a place you've never been to!

• Like 2