Farang 1: Monkey Lady 0

AustinRacing

26 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

By a poor banana seller? You weren't getting mugged in a NYC subway...  and it was your choice to buy from her and not in the market...

Erm.... So your message to the Op its ok to pay 10x the going rate because he wasn’t on the NYC Subway ????

The lady still tried to rip him off.... he should have just walked away.

Of course, not a major issue... but I can understand that for some this constant ‘day to day’ attempt to rip you off becomes a little exhausting.... on another thread someone mentioned ‘death by a 1000 cuts’.... and for some people its kind of like that...  at every corner there is someone else charging that little bit extra etc....    each individual event is insignificant, but for some its understandable that it can simply wear thin.

Its one of the reasons I prefer Bangkok...  its just easier to be ’normal normal’ when there is no consistent and persistent dual charging, attempts to rip us off or expectation that we should pay more than our Thai peers and neighbours etc.... 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

You are buying the bananas, not the experience to feed the monkeys.

im the same……..eat 90 percent of my food I only pay 90 percent or out comes the phone!!

taxi must round down to the nearest sating or week going until I get that extra distance 

movie bad, I demand a refund.  Camp there if needed

sleep in bed under 8 hours, room discount 

noise, room discount

i charge Aseannow for my internet use!!!!

And you are happy to pay 10x the going rate for all of that without any complaint.... right ????

Let's get it straight if I read correctly the Thai wife did not join the trip? 

I fully understand the ops post and his intend and those who defend him reason and actions. 

I live with Thai,  I don't speak Thai as much as my family wants because it is known regardless in their country they need to meet me half way as much as possible. 

In this situation while raising my son and now my granddaughter I've learned to pick and choose what is important and what is just a waste of time and to me this was a complete waste of time why because being around Thais all day many like this women she didn't learn a thing from my experience. When caring for family especially when they are that young " excited " the cost of over paying for a banana is minor to what they have learned at that age watching the smile on their face one can't put a price on it. 

That is why I posted the ops is the monkey! 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

Geez so many questions. Let me try:

rescind-you buy a ticket to watch a movie in a cinema. Go inside the theater but no movie showing. 
own food-can and do so sometimes. On a bike it’s less convenient. Also helping out the temple. 
why feed monkeys?-they are one of the main attractions of the temple. They care for them and visitors support them. 
hope you learned something. Nothing wrong with feeding stray dogs although the analogy is not relevant here. It’s called helping. 

You bought bananas, not a ticket. I bet there wasn't a sign at the lady stating that you have to buy her bananas in order to feed the monkeys. I'm guessing this is Lop buri?

• Like 1

There used to be a 'poster of the year' ... this could be pinned towards 'expat of the year'.

When she was 4-5yrs old, our daughter would threaten me "I'll tell mum" and make pretend calls on my phone ... here we have what is apparently a grown man doing the same "I'll tell mum - or else"

Expat comedy.

But as always, from a very high horse expat vantage point "It's the principle "

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, allanos said:

It is not a Thai vs Farang thing at all, but a question of

humanity and compassion, in my view.

Agreed…. The Thai lady showed the foreign father contempt rather than humanity & compassion….   He responded in kind. 

Poor form by both parties.  The Op should have just walked away at the first indication of disrespectful treatment. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The lady still tried to rip him off.... he should have just walked away.

Of course, not a major issue... but I can understand that for some this constant ‘day to day’ attempt to rip you off becomes a little exhausting....

And he had the option to walk away - - right? 

Do you ever go into a convenience store where everything might be just a bit more expensive because it is... convenient... the lady was offering him that convenience.. 

But, I think the larger point is what is going on that he feels he is getting ripped off all the time... I almost never have that experience

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

And he had the option to walk away - - right? 

Do you ever go into a convenience store where everything might be just a bit more expensive because it is... convenient... the lady was offering him that convenience.. 

Your analogy is flawed - I don’t go into a convenience store (i.e. a 7-11) that charges me 5x or 10x the price it charges Thai’s for the same item...  

IF it did, I’d walk away, also you mentioned the Op also had that option. 

52 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

But, I think the larger point is what is going on that he feels he is getting ripped off all the time... I almost never have that experience

Depending on where a person lives they will be exposed to varying degrees and frequency of attempted rip-offs....    

I can imagine for some it just becomes an utter nuisance to witness such behaviour frequently. 

Its one of the reasons I don’t want to live in a Tourist area... because nearly every local seems to believe it their right to dual charge foreigners and that there is almost a sense of entitlement to fleece.

IF someone feels they are getting ripped off all the time, they probably are - I can understand them getting fed up with such treatment. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Black Ops said:

Have to dusagree with this, the Cinema is responsible for the movies shown. I doubt the banana lady owns or controls the Monkeys whereabouts, its not a Zoo. ????

I disagree with the overchargibg part but think it wasnt fair to ask for refund as she is not responsible for wild Monkeys and where they hang out.

We have loads of monkeys near us, seeing them depends in the time of day. They tend to hide away in the hot part of the day and come out later, they aint daft. Never let them on your car, they will scratch it up.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its one of the reasons I don’t want to live in a Tourist area... because nearly every local seems to believe it their right to dual charge foreigners and that there is almost a sense of entitlement to fleece.

I never lived in a tourist area... but I have visited briefly... is this something new?

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I never lived in a tourist area... but I have visited briefly... is this something new?

You’ve never visited a tourist area where they automatically want to charge you an inflated dual rate and out of a sense of entitlement expect you to be perfectly happy to pay the inflated rate....  ???

49 minutes ago, n00dle said:
5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Op should have just walked away at the first indication of disrespectful treatment. 

Only thing you have said today that I agree with.

Then you disagree that the Op was charged an inflated rate because he is a foreigner ??... 

30 minutes ago, ed strong said:

I dont think its about the money as the op could have found cheaper bananas elsehwere if he had wanted to do.

The point was he paid an inflated rate to the ML as to try to help her out and she in turn has tried to rip him off with poor quality bananas for monkeys that she knows are not there.

If she were providing quality banana’s clearly the monkeys would have still been hanging around and the Op would have been happy to pay 10x the going rate to feed the pesky primates... 

... Even the monkeys know this woman was ripping everyone off and nicked off to better pastures ! :giggle:

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, BananaStrong said:

The lady only was working because her staff got covid.  She actually owns 187 banana farms and 879378 rais of land where she mines gold and jade.  

She's worth over 38 billion baht and had a bet that she could sell bananas to a farang without any monkeys around.

She's only making 43,212 baht per Rai ???......  Terrible business... :giggle:

4 minutes ago, n00dle said:

no, that is one side of the coin. But the fact that he accepted the rate makes his behavior afterwards ridiculous.

You don't agree to pay a taxi driver 500 baht to go one kilometre and cry scam upon arrival. You shut the door and move on. 

The fact that he felt the need to recount the story here in an attempt to seek validation is equally ridiculous.

I also question whether or not he was as blatantly disrespected as he claims.

Yep... all valid points. 

Coming on here does highlight the Op as being somewhat neurotic and a bit too fragile which I suspect is what has triggered a load of the responses against him. 

The lady clearly ripped him off....  his own fault for handing over any money at all, he then paints a very childish picture of himself claiming some sort of ‘moral victory’....      

But, the issue raised by the Op does open the dialogue to discussing an issue all of us at times have experienced and many of us felt insulted or just momentarily irritated by. 

11 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

PERHAPS you have ensured that her family may not eat tonight, while you dine on steak etc.

You think someone as tight as him dines on steak?

Maybe he bought one once but after the chef cooked it he asked for a refund because he wasn't that hungry.

Edit: sorry, got his wife to ask for a refund.

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Let's get it straight if I read correctly the Thai wife did not join the trip? 

I fully understand the ops post and his intend and those who defend him reason and actions. 

I live with Thai,  I don't speak Thai as much as my family wants because it is known regardless in their country they need to meet me half way as much as possible. 

In this situation while raising my son and now my granddaughter I've learned to pick and choose what is important and what is just a waste of time and to me this was a complete waste of time why because being around Thais all day many like this women she didn't learn a thing from my experience. When caring for family especially when they are that young " excited " the cost of over paying for a banana is minor to what they have learned at that age watching the smile on their face one can't put a price on it. 

That is why I posted the ops is the monkey! 

Fair enough except it wasn’t about the cost or teaching her a lesson. She took a risk and it backfired on her. Had she charged the rate we normally get the numerous times we’ve been there I would’ve given the bananas back and not ask for refund. 

I understand a lot of people like to rant which is understandable and I’ve been guilty of it too. Nonetheless it’s been fun. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ed strong said:

I dont think its about the money as the op could have found cheaper bananas elsehwere if he had wanted to do.

The point was he paid an inflated rate to the ML as to try to help her out and she in turn has tried to rip him off with poor quality bananas for monkeys that she knows are not there.

Ed, full marks to you for getting it 100% right. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You’ve never visited a tourist area where they automatically want to charge you an inflated dual rate and out of a sense of entitlement expect you to be perfectly happy to pay the inflated rate....  ???

who is they? 

the only time I have been to a tourist area in the last 10 or more years... I have stayed in nice resorts.. once I stayed in a condo - - is this a new thing?