Huge earthquake in south-east Turkey kills more than 100 people in Turkey and Syria

Social Media

Summary

1. Dozens of people are dead and hundreds more are injured after a huge earthquake struck south-eastern Turkey, near the Syrian border
  2. Early statements from officials in Turkey and Syria put the death toll at more than 100, but that is likely to rise
  3. Rescuers are racing to save people trapped beneath the rubble after hundreds of buildings collapsed in both countries
  4. Turkey declares a state of emergency and urges people not to use mobile phones to allow rescuers to co-ordinate
  5. The 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck in the early hours of Monday and dozens of aftershocks have been felt in the hours since
  6. Millions of people across Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Cyprus and Israel felt the earthquake - the epicentre was near the Turkish city of Gaziantep

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The epicentre was in Turkey and that is why its been reported as it is .

The quake took place in 2 countries. And apparently was so strong  in Syria that it wreaked enough destruction that it killed people.  The headline should have included both countries. A subhead could have addressed the issue of the epicenter.

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Why don't you write letter to the BBC and tell them ?

I did a google search "Earthquake in Turkey"

On the first page there were 2 headlines that didn't characterize the earthquake as being a Turkish and Syrian  phenomenon.. And that's because they were focused on rescue efforts in Turkey. 

You've got nothing.

Horrible here msn reporting 10,000 dead across both countries just horrible well I guess I’m not going to complain about building to code here in the states it really does make a difference in the survival of the structure and occupants 

10 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I did a google search "Earthquake in Turkey"

On the first page there were 2 headlines that didn't characterize the earthquake as being a Turkish and Syrian  phenomenon.. And that's because they were focused on rescue efforts in Turkey. 

You've got nothing.

Seems like to are trying to pick a fight .

The earthquake was in Turkey and that why it was reported as such .

Anyway, the headline does include Syria , so you can relax 

5 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Seems like to are trying to pick a fight .

The earthquake was in Turkey and that why it was reported as such .

Anyway, the headline does include Syria , so you can relax 

That makes as much sense as saying the earthquake was in Syria that's why it wasn't reported as such. I'm picking a fight? I point out an obvious flaw in a headline and you rush to its rescue. Projecting much?

6 hours ago, placeholder said:

The quake took place in 2 countries. And apparently was so strong  in Syria that it wreaked enough destruction that it killed people.  The headline should have included both countries. A subhead could have addressed the issue of the epicenter.

No... Earthquakes are always named after the town, province, or country, near or within which it originates, and by its date.... 

- This earthquake is / will be known as the Turkish Quake 2023. 

It was felt in Syriah, Greece, Northern Iraq, Lebanon... and other places...  It can’t be named after all of them, its named after the place closest to its epicentre - Seems you are the only one struggling with that concept...

... perhaps you should change your handle to ‘lotsofplacesholder’ !!! ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

No... Earthquakes are always named after the town, province, or country, near or within which it originates, and by its date.... 

- This earthquake is / will be known as the Turkish Quake 2023. 

It was felt in Syriah, Greece, Northern Iraq, Lebanon... and other places...  It can’t be named after all of them, its named after the place closest to its epicentre - Seems you are the only one struggling with that concept...

... perhaps you should change your handle to ‘lotsofplacesholder’ !!! ????

It wasn't about the christening of the earthquake. It's about saying where it happened. I've got a load of headlines on my side that back up what I'm saying. What you offer here is utterly irrelevant.

11 minutes ago, placeholder said:

It wasn't about the christening of the earthquake. It's about saying where it happened. I've got a load of headlines on my side that back up what I'm saying. What you offer here is utterly irrelevant.

The earthquake happened in Turkey and it was felt in neighbouring countries and that is what the headline says  .

The epicentre of an earthquake is the location of where it happened and the epicentre was in Turkey .

Actually, Turkey should be called Turkiye these days 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, placeholder said:

You are confused - the ‘Christening' of an earthquake and ‘where it happened’ are one in the same...   

But... it happened, as in, it was felt in a lot of countries, you want all of those countries to be named in the headline of ‘where it happened’ ....   it was also felt in Egypt, Iraq, Lebanon...  where do you draw the line ???

What do you want the headline to be ???

The epicentre was in Turkey, hence the headline earthquake in Turkey...  and it was was also felt in other countries, the most significant of which was obviously Syria.

Technically, as the epicentre was so close to the Syrian border it could also be called the Turkish-Syrian Earthquake... So, if you want to  ‘split hairs’ you could call it that....  

But from a scientific point of view an earthquake is named after the location of its epicentre - its just that simple an thats what the media would usually use when referring to an earthquake, its what the media did use in this case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

You are confused - the ‘Christening' of an earthquake and ‘where it happened’ are one in the same...   

But... it happened, as in, it was felt in a lot of countries, you want all of those countries to be named in the headline of ‘where it happened’ ....   it was also felt in Egypt, Iraq, Lebanon...  where do you draw the line ???

What do you want the headline to be ???

The epicentre was in Turkey, hence the headline earthquake in Turkey...  and it was was also felt in other countries, the most significant of which was obviously Syria.

Technically, as the epicentre was so close to the Syrian border it could also be called the Turkish-Syrian Earthquake... So, if you want to  ‘split hairs’ you could call it that....  

But from a scientific point of view an earthquake is named after the location of its epicentre - its just that simple an thats what the media would usually use when referring to an earthquake, its what the media did use in this case.

As I pointed out, to apparently no avail. the headlines I saw had some variation of this headline from the NY Times

Earthquake Kills at Least 2,100 in Turkey and Syria

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/02/05/world/turkey-earthquake

or This

Turkey and Syria Struck by Earthquakes—

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/turkeyearthquake

Turkey and Syria: more than 2,000 people confirmed dead after two large earthquakes strike – latest updates

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2023/feb/06/turkey-earthquake-2023-live-updates-quake-tremor-latest-news

More than 2,300 people dead in Turkey, Syria after 7.8-magnitude earthquake

https://www.foxnews.com/world/people-dead-turkey-syria-after-7-8-magnitude-earthquake

There are plenty more where those came from. What I didn't see in the headlines was that the earthquake only occurred in Turkey.

2 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The earthquake happened in Turkey and it was felt in neighbouring countries and that is what the headline says  .

The epicentre of an earthquake is the location of where it happened and the epicentre was in Turkey .

Actually, Turkey should be called Turkiye these days 

Are you seriously claiming that it wasn't an earthquake that killed people in Syria? You really want to go with that?

Here's how the Encyclopedia Britannica defines earthquake:

a sudden and violent shaking of the ground, sometimes causing great destruction, as a result of movements within the earth's crust or volcanic action.

https://www.britannica.com/science/earthquake-geology

42 minutes ago, placeholder said:

There are plenty more where those came from. What I didn't see in the headlines was that the earthquake only occurred in Turkey.

Calling the earthquake the ‘Turkish earthquake’ or ‘Earthquake in Turkey’ does not imply the earthquake didn’t exist else where at all.... But it does follow a more accurate nomenclature to describe the specific event which is an earthquake with an epicentre in Turkey. 

The Chicxulub meteorite was given its modern name after the crater found buried underneath the Yucatán Peninsula in Mexico - this lead to a global extinction event.... It wasn’t called the ‘world meteorite’....    Reporters would not have stated ‘meteorite strikes the world’ killing billions and causing mass extinction....  they’d have wrote meteorite strikes Chicxulub etc..  perhaps you are not a scientist and can’t really understand that and prefer the laymans wording applied by some journalists. 

The earthquake.... it was in Turkey - that is where the epicentre is. In the Seismological community an earthquake is named after its epicentre..... 

You may not ‘care’ how the earthquake is named, but those stating the earthquake struck South East Turkey are accurate.... The earthquake struck South East Turkey (or more accurately Turkiye) with wide ranging catastrophic cross border consequences. 

IF the epicentre was in Syria, it would be accurate for articles to state... "Huge earthquake in North West Syria Turkey kills more than 1000 people in Syria and Turkey”....

You have taken a layman’s outlook thats all, as have many journalists - thats not inaccurate, but neither is stating the earthquake occurred in Turkey (with wide ranging impact in nearby countries). 

Edited by richard_smith237

50 minutes ago, placeholder said:

The links you provide call it the ‘Turkey Earthquake’....     (in their URL)...  Calling it the Turkey Earthquake does not imply it only occurred in Turkey......   for some reason you are being deliberately slow to catch on to that point. 

Every headline, even it if calls it the ’Turkey Earthquake’ or ‘Earthquake in Turkey’ still mentions that the earthquake impacted Syria....