lawyer for usurfruct

rickthailand

19 hours ago, topt said:

Even though not based in Pattaya I used Issan Law for this 11 years ago

From my experience (admittedly about 15 years ago) it might be better to use a local lawyer. I wanted to set up a usufruct on our house in Banchang, Rayong, and went to a pukka lawyer in Pattaya on the US Embassy recommended list. When we went to our local office to register it, accompanied by a young lady from the lawyer's office, the official refused point blank to register it on some grounds, I don't know whether they were spurious or not. The young lady just looked clueless, and we just had to leave. The lawyer said that it was a properly drawn and signed agreement and should still be enforceable,  though I doubt that.

The point is that at the time I didn't know whether the official was angling for a bribe, and I didn't dare ask. If I had used a local lawyer who knew the people in that office the outcome might have been different.

That I have an expensive and useless document doesn't bother me any more. I can't imagine the circumstances where the missis or her family would want to chuck me out, and if they did I could easily fend for myself.

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

I think you probably mean Isan Lawyers, based in Korat.

I used the 15 years when it was owned by Sebastian.

Yes that's who I dealt with as well.

I did ask on an earlier thread where they were mentioned as seems it is now  owned by another foreigner.

1 hour ago, Eff1n2ret said:

From my experience (admittedly about 15 years ago) it might be better to use a local lawyer.

Agree 100% if you have a good rec and the cost is reasonable. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Eff1n2ret said:

The point is that at the time I didn't know whether the official was angling for a bribe, and I didn't dare ask.

Pretty much my experience and the "deal" was brokered by who we wee purchasing from as she had prior experience in dealing with them.

• Like 1