'Surprise' in Canada as NYC buses migrants to border

Scott

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Canada does seem preferable except for the weather. 

I suspect that a fair number of those crossing into the US have a family connection in Canada and that is part of their reason for crossing into the US.   It's very difficult to get from Central America to Canada without crossing the US.

I suspect that some of those that volunteered to head to northern cities like NYC did so with the intention of going to Canada. 

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

It is not. But they have to prove persecution or reasonable evidence that they will be persecuted if returned to their country.  I'd say most illegal migrants in the U.S. are economic "refugees" or coming from some lawless/disrupted country. 

Back in 1979/80 I worked in Thailand with the U.S. refugee resettlement program, mostly with Lao/Hmong people fleeing the commies.  (I liked some of those people more then some of the U.S. Immigration officers I worked with.  ????)

Thanks to you and Scott for your service and human decency many blessings to you guys and the ones you care about in my book you both are noble human beings thanks ???? 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tug said:

Thanks to you and Scott for your service and human decency many blessings to you guys and the ones you care about in my book you both are noble human beings thanks ???? 

If you are interested, there is a book.  I know a couple names, though I was a peon.  Good read about how boots on the ground can work around government ineptitude.  There were some really dedicated people.

Refugee Workers in the Indochina Exodus, 1975-1982  by Larry Clinton Thompson

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Damrongsak said:

If you are interested, there is a book.  I know a couple names, though I was a peon.  Good read about how boots on the ground can work around government ineptitude.  There were some really dedicated people.

Refugee Workers in the Indochina Exodus, 1975-1982  by Larry Clinton Thompson

I'll check it out when time permits.  I'd say it was not so much getting around ineptitude, but a matter of trying to figure out how to fit people into the boxes they don't always fit into.   But just plain ineptitude was a problem.

On 2/8/2023 at 9:21 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

How nice of the US to be so helpful to those that arrived without going the legal route. Does the US help US citizens that are homeless as much?

What in this story makes you believe that the migrants are illegal, other than your own bias?

On 2/7/2023 at 7:21 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

How nice of the US to be so helpful to those that arrived without going the legal route. Does the US help US citizens that are homeless as much?

They are not illegal.  They have been processed and given paperwork that allows them to be in the US.  The US government does not directly deal with homeless people, that is a responsibility of the state and city in which they are homeless.   

35 minutes ago, Scott said:

I'll check it out when time permits.  I'd say it was not so much getting around ineptitude, but a matter of trying to figure out how to fit people into the boxes they don't always fit into.   But just plain ineptitude was a problem.

Yes, getting it jump started right here and right now.  I was not a party to the politics,  just a guy on the ground. I hope I behaved well and some of those folks appreciated it.  That's all.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 1:19 PM, Credo said:

Where does it say that they were not applying for legal entry?  Where do you think the buses are taking them?  To some place in the middle of the woods?  These are not chartered buses, they are normal bus services to regular destinations.  

People very often have no idea that those transporting them are 'traffickers'.  

Obviously I wasn't being clear enough. They should apply for legal entry to Canada in the first safe country they come to, not enter without a visa to the US and transit all of the US to get to the Canadian border.

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Obviously I wasn't being clear enough. They should apply for legal entry to Canada in the first safe country they come to, not enter without a visa to the US and transit all of the US to get to the Canadian border.

You can't do that.  You can't request asylum in one country and 'apply' for a different one.  

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

News to me. Isn't that what Trump was doing with his "remain in Mexico" policy while their requests were being processed?

Their request is to enter the US.  If you request to enter the US in order to get to Canada, you will not be allowed to remain.   The remain in Mexico policy is a special agreement we have with Mexico.