high bad colesterol after having covid

3NUMBAS

Does COVID raise cholesterol levels?

Study finds Covid infections linked to high cholesterol

One study, published in The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology earlier this month, found that people with a prior Covid infection had a 24% increased risk for high cholesterol levels.
25 Jan 2023

It's not so much the statins that I don't like, as I experienced a lot of trouble when I took them.  After a month or so, I had terrible muscle pains and was confined to an armchair all day.  Even trying different statins made no difference.  My brother always took them in the morning, but I had to tell him that they had to be taken in the evening as that was when the "Bad cholesterol" was at its peak.  It's pointless to take them in the morning.

What I don't like is the way that the bad cholesterol is "Measured" because that isn't what actually gets measured.  Two other things get measured and then the "Bad" level is computed.  It's a right old fiddle.  What's more, it depends on the time of day that the levels were measured.  As I understand it, the "Bad" level is low during the day but starts to rise in the evening with a peak overnight.  From early morning on, the level drops again to near nothing.  To reduce the high level overnight, Statins must be taken in the evening.

So if in the past you always got tested in the morning, try to get a test done in the afternoon and you'll be surprised by the "level" reported.  I'm not a conspiracy theorist but when the pharmaceutical companies earn so much money from statins and throw money at Doctors to promote Statins, it's no surprise to me that they shut all dissenting voices up.  I agree with the dissenters because I found Statins to be a poison.  I'm fully vaccinated and have had Covid but I won't take Statins ever again.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, DiDiChok said:

It's not so much the statins that IMy brother always took them in the morning, but I had to tell him that they had to be taken in the evening as that was when the "Bad cholesterol" was at its peak.  It's pointless to take them in the morning.

What I don't like is the way that the bad cholesterol is "Measured" because that isn't what actually gets measured.  Two other things get measured and then the "Bad" level is computed.  It's a right old fiddle.  What's more, it depends on the time of day that the levels were measured.  As I understand it, the "Bad" level is low during the day but starts to rise in the evening with a peak overnight.  From early morning on, the level drops again to near nothing.  To reduce the high level overnight, Statins must be taken in the evening.

So if in the past you always got tested in the morning, try to get a test done in the afternoon and you'll be surprised by the "level" reported.  

A lot of misunderstandings here

LDL can be measured directly or infirectly, indirect method is the calculation you refer to and by no means what is always done.

That said, the indirect method is accurate enough provid3d the triglyceride level is not unusually low. If it is then should only measure LDL directy. 

LDL typically peaks in late afternoon not ovetnight. Partially due to food intake and partially a diurnal fluctuation.  Levels are best measured in morning and before eating. That the results will be lower than they would have been if  measured later in the day or after esting is a given and of no importance in terms of clinical management. You measure at loeest point same as you  take bloid pressure when at rest .

Though there are advantages to taking them at night,  Statins can be taken at any time of day.  The most  important thing is take regularly at the same time each day so as to maintain consistent blood level.