Many Foreigners in Phuket Allegedly Renting Cars for Doing Illegal Taxi Services

webfact

"If anyone notices any suspected illegal foreign taxi drivers please call the 1584 hotline. A taxi driver in Thailand is one an occupation only for Thai citizens and not for foreigners."

Of course I will. I fully support the friendly and affordable legal services.

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Oh please. Such nonsense. Just rabid, fear mongering, uninformed xenophobia. How could someone pay daily rental rates and still generate a profit, and as a taxi driver? This is one of the dumbest accusations of the year. 

Have you not seen how much some taxi drivers can squeeze out of tourists?

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

This right here. Everyone I've talked to says a rental is around 9-10k baht a month.

So I thought I was getting a deal financing our new car at 7800 a month. But then I gotta buy insurance, so then it's back up to the 9-10k, heh. But at least it's a new car.

300 baht a day? Then there's your gas. Nah, not much of a business opportunity.

It used to be 12 hour rentals for most taxi drivers....the owner pays by the month

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe the rental car tourist just having some spare time to do some driving for spare change on a special understanding with some foreign owned resort. It happens in other countries too but with own car not rental. I used them to go to airport because they offer a competitive service and safe too as the hotel use them regularly. 

2 hours ago, Hakuna Matata said:

And over there in the United States there are more than 20 Million illegal immigrants, mostly from Mexico and other Latin American countries. Double Standards as usual.

There are possibly half that figure of 20 million. 

3 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Maybe the rental car tourist just having some spare time to do some driving for spare change on a special understanding with some foreign owned resort. It happens in other countries too but with own car not rental. I used them to go to airport because they offer a competitive service and safe too as the hotel use them regularly. 

I lived in Patong precovid, a Russian couple above us had 2 cars on the go everyday Seemingly untroubled by local operators of cabs, tuk tuks etc.

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

This marks a new low in journalism. Not a shred of evidence. Just rumours and the usual "allegedly" rubbish from Phuket News.

...not to mention the apalling grammar and bad proof reading.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

How could someone pay daily rental rates and still generate a profit, and as a taxi driver? This is one of the dumbest accusations of the year. 

Only the green and yellow taxis in Bangkok are owner operated. All the other colours are "fleet" taxis rented for the day by the driver. 

Foreigners in this case probably means citizens from neighboring Asian countries.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Oh please. Such nonsense. Just rabid, fear mongering, uninformed xenophobia. How could someone pay daily rental rates and still generate a profit, and as a taxi driver? This is one of the dumbest accusations of the year. 

Quite easy as the Phuket taxi / tuk tuk rates are very high. 

2 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

No, it´s not! A car, you can rent from 9 000 - 12 000 baht per month. That would only be 300 - 400 per day. As a taxi driver you can easily make trips for 1 500 per day. Let´s say that 900 goes away including rent and gasoline. I would assume it is most India and other Asian nationalities that are doing this. They will be quite satisfied to have 600 baht or more per day.

They will be quite satisfied to have 600 baht or more per day....So Would I on my Current FROZEN Pittance of a " So Called " Pension....Plus I WAS A REAL ( PROFESSIONAL ) Taxi Driver in The U.K.For more than 40 Years.....

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, BangkokHank said:

That's the main reason why I have only been to Phuket once in my 21 years in Thailand, and why I will not set foot in that place again. They think it's clever to cheat tourists. But they can't cheat me if I don't go there.

I Agree M8, I've only been ONCE to Phuket that after CUMMING To Thailand Since 1976 Wow That's 47 Years ( Yeah I'm an Oldie Now.....So NO Desire to ever go there Again !!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe this story! A number of years ago I sold my Audi to a Russian. Somehow he did not register the  car properly and I started to receive speeding tickets in my mail under my name. It took me months to track down this Russian. I found out he was using my car for a taxi service for Russians coming into the airport. I reported this to the police and we finally got it all figured out but it cost me thousands of BAHT in fees and attorney costs.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, jesimps said:

I should imagine that these foreigners are fellow Asians ie Myanmarese, Cambodian or Loatian. A westerner would find it difficult to pull it off.

3 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

No, it´s not! A car, you can rent from 9 000 - 12 000 baht per month. That would only be 300 - 400 per day. As a taxi driver you can easily make trips for 1 500 per day. Let´s say that 900 goes away including rent and gasoline. I would assume it is most India and other Asian nationalities that are doing this. They will be quite satisfied to have 600 baht or more per day.

Russians. A Laotian can not pull of the 'just picking up a friend from the airport ' trick 

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This

2 hours ago, Keep Right said:

I believe this story! A number of years ago I sold my Audi to a Russian. Somehow he did not register the  car properly and I started to receive speeding tickets in my mail under my name. It took me months to track down this Russian. I found out he was using my car for a taxi service for Russians coming into the airport. I reported this to the police and we finally got it all figured out but it cost me thousands of BAHT in fees and attorney costs.

More fool you. You should have supervised the document transfer.

2 hours ago, Nong Khai Man said:

They will be quite satisfied to have 600 baht or more per day....So Would I on my Current FROZEN Pittance of a " So Called " Pension....Plus I WAS A REAL ( PROFESSIONAL ) Taxi Driver in The U.K.For more than 40 Years.....

Move to Philippines and unfreeze it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You would have to run a bigger scam than the "legit" taxi scammers run to make a profit.

4 hours ago, Lemsta69 said:

Thank Buddha that Thailand isn't going down the European route. They're right to be 'scared' of foreigners and they should do everything they can to not become a basket case like the rest of the Western world.

I drove a black cab for 12 years in London. My best mates, all cabbies, were, amongst others, Indian, Malay Chinese, and Hong Kong Chinese. The cabbies' real resentment was reserved for the illegal minicab (aka private hire) drivers. If you could survive 3 years doing the Knowledge, you were worthy of your badge. That's all that mattered.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1