Many Foreigners in Phuket Allegedly Renting Cars for Doing Illegal Taxi Services

webfact

11 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

No, it´s not! A car, you can rent from 9 000 - 12 000 baht per month. That would only be 300 - 400 per day. As a taxi driver you can easily make trips for 1 500 per day. Let´s say that 900 goes away including rent and gasoline. I would assume it is most India and other Asian nationalities that are doing this. They will be quite satisfied to have 600 baht or more per day.

Very well informed!!!????

15 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Oh please. Such nonsense. Just rabid, fear mongering, uninformed xenophobia. How could someone pay daily rental rates and still generate a profit, and as a taxi driver? This is one of the dumbest accusations of the year. 

Of course they don't pay daily rates. They rent monthly.

About 20 years ago I knew a Westerner on Phuket who did airport trips in his Pick-up or Fortuner type SUV (can't remember what he drove now). He had a lot of loyal customers and I used him once or twice. He apparently did rather well out of it. This was before even the 'meter taxis' were available. 

I could see this happening just like Airbnb condos.  Maybe a small app or even a name that's recommended in a Facebook travel thread.  Contact the guy for a ride in messenger or w he acts app orr better yet an encrypted chat app.  Pay with prompt, Venmo or apple pay.  Just a friend giving a friend a ride.  

I mean how do you measure friendship?   people converse for x times online and the government let's foreigners send money to Thai women.   Same same.    

15 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

No, it´s not! A car, you can rent from 9 000 - 12 000 baht per month. That would only be 300 - 400 per day. As a taxi driver you can easily make trips for 1 500 per day. Let´s say that 900 goes away including rent and gasoline. I would assume it is most India and other Asian nationalities that are doing this. They will be quite satisfied to have 600 baht or more per day.

That is all good. The taxi mafia needs competition. They don't like it. They prefer their government sponsored monopoly. But, who cares what they want and like? Means nothing. 

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Oh please. Such nonsense. Just rabid, fear mongering, uninformed xenophobia. How could someone pay daily rental rates and still generate a profit, and as a taxi driver? This is one of the dumbest accusations of the year. 

Er, if I charge 500 baht a pop three  times a day, say five days a week, I am getting 30k baht a month and paying 15k for the car? Sounds like 15k net profit which might support someone? For two hours work a day? We've just bought a new car! Can't wait to tell my wife my new money-making scheme ???? 

On 2/9/2023 at 9:27 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

300 baht a day? Then there's your gas. Nah, not much of a business opportunity.

Even if the guys were renting the cars for say 8,000 baht a month and making 3 trips to the airport to collect passengers, you would deduct say 800 baht (what it usually costs by taxi to get to Patong), so you have 2 trips remaining at 800 each x say 30 days in a month = 40,000 baht a month, hardly worth the trouble.

Now if they had return trips from Patong to the airport, that would be 80,000 baht per month which isn't a bad wicket, but you wouldn't get me doing that, I prefer to earn that from my chair at home.

2 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Er, if I charge 500 baht a pop three  times a day, say five days a week, I am getting 30k baht a month and paying 15k for the car? Sounds like 15k net profit which might support someone? For two hours work a day? We've just bought a new car! Can't wait to tell my wife my new money-making scheme ???? 

God bless you if you are willing to work that hard for $450 a month. 

On 2/9/2023 at 6:13 AM, hotchilli said:

Maybe Russians trying to earn some keep.

Yes, my neighbor, some years ago, bought a Toyota for rental. A Russian guy rented it for a long time, more than a year. He was going back and forth to the airport...

Neighbor receiving a speeding ticket in the mail, the Toyota was photographed going 140 on the way to the airport. In a hurry he said he was...

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

That is all good. The taxi mafia needs competition. They don't like it. They prefer their government sponsored monopoly. But, who cares what they want and like? Means nothing. 

100 %! They need to be put in place. To me it wouldn´t matter if they where put out of business because of illegal drivers. They probably give a better service anyway.

On 2/9/2023 at 5:27 AM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

300 baht a day? Then there's your gas. Nah, not much of a business opportunity.

A standard mafia taxi from the airport to Patong costs 700 or more.

My idea: they have contacts/agents who arrange business with their fellow citizens.

Six(?) years ago I found a cheap taxi service from Pattaya to U-Tapao.

Driver was a Russian woman who was very cautious not to be seen at the hotel. Waiting in the car.

Shortly before arrival she stopped and asked me to pay 

Again she hide away at the terminal entrance.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2023 at 1:51 AM, Lemsta69 said:

Thank Buddha that Thailand isn't going down the European route. They're right to be 'scared' of foreigners and they should do everything they can to not become a basket case like the rest of the Western world.

If a nation doesn't give handouts to immigrants, there's zero risk of that happening. There's no need for the extreme xenophobia and irrational fear mongering in the media about foreigners.