Former bank staffer stole 36 million baht from customers in check fraud - sent money to her husband's account

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported on action by Thailand's Economic Crime Division against a former employee of a bank who allegedly sent 36 million baht of customer money to her husband's account.

The couple have denied everything but police say their case is airtight.

It is the latest in a long list of cases of bank employees ripping off customers for their own benefit, notes ASEAN NOW.

RTP deputy Jiraphop Phuridech sent in the ECD officers who served an arrest warrant on Lata Kittiwattanaphap, 33.

She was charged with theft from an employer and enriching herself as an employee of a financial institution.

Her husband Pharanyu, 36, was charged with theft and receiving stolen goods.

Both denied everything.

They were arrested in Room 295/218 on the 20th floor of a condominium building on the Din Daeng Road, in the downtown Ratchathewi area of the Thai capital Bangkok.

Earlier respresentatives from two construction companies reported that they had deposited checks to the tune of 36,202,965 baht to pay off outstanding debts to the bank.

An investigation showed that Lata put the checks into her husband's account and they started spending the money on themselves.

The bank contacted the ECD.

The suspects were taken in for questioning by the ECD.

Area 5 ECD officer Pol Col Mekphisan Sriphirom said that Lata had used her knowledge of the bank's check procedures to exploit a loophole and there was clear evidence of guilt.

Thai Rath did not explain how the staffer came to be a former employee, when the crime occurred or the name of the bank.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-02-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, webfact said:

The couple have denied everything but police say their case is airtight.

Errr. ok, please explain the origin of the 36 million baht in your husband account, you cannot? that's a surprise.

51 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Who uses cheques these days?

And can one not only be paid into the account of the name written on it?

Probably every business uses cheques, as do banks.  These were cashiers cheques/bank drafts which are, effectively, cash, but regardless of that cheques can be signed over to third parties, they're not all crossed "a/c payee only".

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Who uses cheques these days?

And can one not only be paid into the account of the name written on it?

A certain country located south of Canada and north of Mexico. "money orders, magnetic stripe cards" too. Thing is I did half of my undergraduate studies in Chicago back in the 90s and when I wanted to get a transcript of my records, they wanted money orders or checks only. And a US address to send the documents to. Ended up abandoning that super complicated intergalactic mission.

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

We need some investigative journalists here (don't know how long they would survive though)

too many half stories ,just the basic facts, 

Memo .....check your accounts today , just to make sure the money is still there......????

regards Worgeordie

Yes I check my account but it is not enough, i think with all this kind of problems it is important to know the name of the bank.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thomas KH said:

A certain country located south of Canada and north of Mexico. "money orders, magnetic stripe cards" too. Thing is I did half of my undergraduate studies in Chicago back in the 90s and when I wanted to get a transcript of my records, they wanted money orders or checks only. And a US address to send the documents to. Ended up abandoning that super complicated intergalactic mission.

As said checks are often used here to transfer funds and in business.  Today, in USA, large insurance firm drug purchase refunds are still only issued by check.

4 hours ago, rbkk said:

Dumb and dumber.

Well, some bank employees can't be very smart (as for my observation). - As for this kind of fraud, do they really think they can get away with it? Not to mention using the stolen money to buy a condo... You would think they'd leave the country, at least.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thumbs Up 1