How to make (IKEA) furniture sturdier?

OneMoreFarang

14 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Oh to be a fly on the wall when he tries to get his contractor to finish the bottom edge of the doors.

Currently the doors are installed and work fine.

I had some other complains and my contractor accepted them and had them fixed without arguing.

We all make mistakes sometimes, and as long as they are fixed in reasonable time, I accept that.

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Currently the doors are installed and work fine.

I had some other complains and my contractor accepted them and had them fixed without arguing.

We all make mistakes sometimes, and as long as they are fixed in reasonable time, I accept that.

But you totally avoided the question of whether or not the bottom edge of the doors was finished or not!  Or whether or not you are going to address the issue.

10 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

But you totally avoided the question of whether or not the bottom edge of the doors was finished or not!  Or whether or not you are going to address the issue.

I didn't look under the bottom edges of the doors. I have no idea if they are finished or not.

I am not an experienced woodworker, and I don't know how door bottom edges should look like and why.

For me it's simple: If the door closes properly now and in the future then that is good enough for me. And if not, then I will contact my contractor to fix it - possibly or guarantee within the first year.

With some things like electrical installations, I have a pretty good idea how things should be or should not be. With others, like doors, I have little idea about the details, and I am not knowledgeable enough to judge the details of the work.

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am not an experienced woodworker, and I don't know how door bottom edges should look like and why.

It’s not difficult, all 6 faces of the door should look the same. Painted or clear finished. It is trivially easy to know by the colour. Took at the tops of your doors, if they are unfinished I can guarantee so are the bottoms.

They should be finished to reduce wood movement, they will probably work well  after fitting but may develop problems later.

75AE677B-7EAE-4094-A738-7B9DCEAE12A8.jpeg

• Like 1