Toyota Diesel Pickup Engine Oil Change

Banana7

For a 2020 Toyota turbo diesel pickup truck, what synthetic engine oil do you use and at what frequency? I am considering Shell rotella T6 15w40 or Mobile 1 diesel 5w40. Dealer recommends 10K KM oil changes. Is it best to get Toyota engine filters or is there a better brand?

I took my 3.0 Vigo to B-quik for syn oil and filter at 10/15kkm.....Never a problem, sold on at 11.5 years old..

P.S. Toyota will not use cr_p filters, but I doubt Toyota make filters, so sourced.

I doubt B-quik will use cr_p filters as they service millions of rides...☺️

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

I took my 3.0 Vigo to B-quik for syn oil and filter at 10/15kkm.....Never a problem, sold on at 11.5 years old..

P.S. Toyota will not use cr_p filters, but I doubt Toyota make filters, so sourced.

I doubt B-quik will use cr_p filters as they service millions of rides...☺️

What brand of oil and viscosity?

Use the viscosity stated in your handbook.

but you won’t go far wrong with Mobil1 Oil For Turbo Diesel Pickup synthetic 5W-40

Toyota oil filter is fine.Buy from them and you know it won’t be fake

10-12000kms normally ok … if hard driven/off road/all short journeys manual will say half that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Use the viscosity stated in your handbook.

but you won’t go far wrong with Mobil1 Oil For Turbo Diesel Pickup synthetic 5W-40

Toyota oil filter is fine.Buy from them and you know it won’t be fake

10-12000kms normally ok … if hard driven/off road/all short journeys manual will say half that

OTT but uderstand.

Toyota branded diesel oil is 5w-30 from memory. I'd probably prefer Mobil 1 5w-40 for the hot climate, but our Fortuner gets what Toyota put in which is their 5w-30.

Anyone else annoyed that they give you all the empty containers ? Sems they firstly don't have a bulk supply as I'd have expected, and secondly they leave the disposal of the empty containers on you.

Lazada:

TOYOTA น้ำมันเครื่องดีเซลสังเคราะห์โตโยต้า 5W-30 ขนาด 1 ลิตร | Lazada.co.th

Edited by Tuvoc
link

4 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Anyone else annoyed that they give you all the empty containers ? Sems they firstly don't have a bulk supply as I'd have expected, and secondly they leave the disposal of the empty containers on you.

empty oil/filters/whatever else  from the service left in vehicle.

was explained to me to show what had  been done.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, steve187 said:

as the vehicle is only 3 years old, then should you not be getting it serviced at Toyota to maintain is warranty

For the most part, yes. However, I feel Toyota engine oil is only adequate, and in this hot climate, the top end of the oil should be 40, not 30.  Also, Toyota doesn't make the oil, they buy from others, and have it labeled Toyota.

On 2/13/2023 at 2:32 AM, Banana7 said:

For the most part, yes. However, I feel Toyota engine oil is only adequate, and in this hot climate, the top end of the oil should be 40, not 30.  Also, Toyota doesn't make the oil, they buy from others, and have it labeled Toyota.

Yes of course Toyota source the engine oil from someone else and brand it as their own, common practice. I'd love to know who makes it. A couple of websites say it is Mobil.

Anyway I'm also inclined to prefer a 5w-40 for this climate, certainly for a petrol engine. But for a low-revving diesel the 5w-30 must be OK, Toyota wouldn't use it otherwise. The counter-argument is that all they have to worry about is the warranty period and nothing beyond that.

Edited by Tuvoc

On 2/12/2023 at 8:32 PM, Banana7 said:

Yeah of course re-brand...... from those who supply your so called top end oil.

don't forget though manufacturer supplied oils may not be the same in chemical makeup compared to the 5lt bottles.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Yes of course Toyota source the engine oil from someone else and brand it as their own, common practice. I'd love to know who makes it. A couple of websites say it is Mobil.

Anyway I'm also inclined to prefer a 5w-40 for this climate, certainly for a petrol engine. But for a low-revving diesel the 5w-30 must be OK, Toyota wouldn't use it otherwise. The counter-argument is that all they have to worry about is the warranty period and nothing beyond that.

In the engine design there's also a cooling system to cope. 

The difference between 5w30 and 15w40 in Thailand is not that important.

These oil threads have been done to death by the brainwashed listening and reading an oil companies brand salespersons BS. 

11 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

The difference between 5w30 and 15w40 in Thailand is not that important.

Personally I would never use 15w-40 unless the car was old and knackered, but 5w-40 or 5w-30 yes.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dante99 said:

All you have to do is tell them that you do not want them and they will take them.  Very simple, very very.

Yep, that is exactly what I will do next time.

5 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Personally I would never use 15w-40 unless the car was old and knackered, but 5w-40 or 5w-30 yes.

So you live in Thailand where the temperature goes down to -30%.

I have no problem Cockpit using Mobil 15W-40 in a hot climate the diesel oil can be used with complete success.   "in over-the-road diesel trucks, off-highway diesel equipment, farm tractors, and passenger cars and light trucks with diesel, turbo-charged diesel engines, or gasoline engines and is backward compatible with previous API Oil Categories".

Edited by Kwasaki

Every 6k for me, they call me Mr oil change at the dealership...:)

I leave the choice up to them, it is after all a Toyota dealership, if they don't know I certainly don't.

Seriously, the one good thing you can do for your ride is to change the oil often, it doesn't cost a fortune and it does extend engine life.

The manager pulled me aside last oil change and talked in hushed tones, I thought he was going to try and sell me crack! Have something special for you, new, from Saharat......looking through his phone he proudly found a picture of it, 750 baht, good for 10k kms....STP engine oil treatment....hahahah, pass but thanks I said.. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I buy all on Lazada Thailand:  VALVOLINE MAX LIFE (10W40) 4Lแถม1L oil and 1042 BOSCH กรองน้ำมันเครื่อง TOYOTA oil filter and do the work myself after some problems with oil change vendors not doing the work properly. Change every year or every 10,000 k's which I never reach.

Edited by Dan747
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

So you live in Thailand where the temperature goes down to -30%.

I have no problem Cockpit using Mobil 15W-40 in a hot climate the diesel oil can be used with complete success.

I have a problem with differing from manufacturer specs, especially whilst the vehicle is covered by warranty.

Toast an engine and they will test the oil... when found not correct that large engine replacement bill................ that is no longer the dealerships problem !!

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I have a problem with differing from manufacturer specs, especially whilst the vehicle is covered by warranty.

Toast an engine and they will test the oil... when found not correct that large engine replacement bill................ that is no longer the dealerships problem !!

Don't know Where you get that from. 

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Don't know Where you get that from. 

What, manufacturers testing oil on toasted engines that are at the dealership for engine replacement warranty claims ?

Very common.

On my two import cars I change oil every 10,000 and send sample to be tested..

Edited by Ralf001

11 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

What, manufacturers testing oil on toasted engines that are at the dealership for engine replacement warranty claims ?

Very common.

On my two import cars I change oil every 10,000 and send sample to be tested..

Never had a problem like that just sounds OCD in regards to cars/trucks/motorbikes these days.