IB "Hidden Dragon" crackdown on foreigners with two passports - 3 Chinese on warrants, 19 on overstay

webfact

4 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Another thing, they are not foreigners if they have a Thai passport. 

That could depend on how they received their Thai ID in the first place? I think a lot of the ongoing crackdown stems from Chinese illegally receiving a Thai ID.
Are there ways that Thai citizenship once acquired could be forfeited for criminal behaviour? Though presumably there should be due process in that case? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

That could depend on how they received their Thai ID in the first place? I think a lot of the ongoing crackdown stems from Chinese illegally receiving a Thai ID.
Are there ways that Thai citizenship once acquired could be forfeited for criminal behaviour? Though presumably there should be due process in that case? 

Theoretically, the Thai citizenship can be revoked but doesn't usually happen. Only recorded cases are that of those born here to foreign parents over 30 years ago, who made use of their other passport. 

The expert on such matters is @Arkady

10 minutes ago, paul1804 said:

It is not unusual or against the law in many countries to hold 2 passports issued by different countries, I presume these offenders have 2 passports issued by the same country which is an offence. 

It is not an offence to hold 2 current passports from one country. I have 2 friends who hold 2 current passports from Australia.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kuzie57 said:

It is not an offence to hold 2 current passports from one country. I have 2 friends who hold 2 current passports from Australia.

Can you tell me how they do that because I enquired about it because mine was filling up with immigration stamps due to my work and was told it’s not possible I could only have one passport. If it fills up then apply for a new one

Seventeen of these were named in warrants from China for mostly running Ponzi schemes and engaging in other fraud.

Of these 14 had already managed to escape Thailand and would be blacklisted.

So they actually managed to arrest THREE of the 17 fraudsters they supposedly were looking for... and the other 14 had managed to vanish!

Wonder what the odds are that some of those got tipped off prior to the crackdown, perhaps by the same kinds of folks who were issuing them pay-off illegal visas in the first place.

If Immigration was a professional baseball player, with a batting average like that, they'd be sitting on the bench!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

As far as I know, any government can take away a persons passport as long as that person is not made stateless by such action.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikosan said:

Do you mean that it is an offence to have two Thai passports in the same name?  Because in the UK it is certainly not an offence to have two UK passports in the same name. I and many others have legitimately done so, mainly for work purposes.

Actually, I just got a new Thai passport and they didn't do anything to the old one, so I have 2 Thai ones and one British one. I have a few old British ones but they cut off the corner.

4 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

As far as I know, any government can take away a persons passport as long as that person is not made stateless by such action.

Yes, a passport belongs to the state not to you, it is a means of identification which you have to pay for.

21 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

I think Australia and some other western countries have done this to prevent known sex offenders from traveling to foreign countries to continue their abuse.

26 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

Not entirely true. The UK revoked the citizenship of Shamima Begum, the Court of appeal overturned the decision but Supreme Court ruled against her and she remains stateless.