IB "Hidden Dragon" crackdown on foreigners with two passports - 3 Chinese on warrants, 19 on overstay

webfact

5 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Thais were not allowed to have duel nationality last I heard or has that changed?

In theory yes, but this is Thailand and who gives a rat's ar$e about the laws of the land? 

9 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I have four passport. 1. Purchased 2. Born 3. Naturalized 4. From mother's side. And my Thai elite visa is stamped on the purchased passport.

have you thought about a career as a ventriloquist ?

• Haha 1

On 2/11/2023 at 9:16 AM, webfact said:

people with passports of two nationalities were checked

Getting very confused. Responses here are mentioning two passports of the same nationality. The article says two nationalities, which I thought means dual nationality. I was under the impression that dual nationality was now allowed. I remember former Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva explaining to Parliament that he had no intention of giving up his British passport. 

Then mention of overstay, which surely doesn't include Thai passport holders. No mention of illegal Thai passports.

Can someone confirm if dual nationality is allowed these days? 

On 2/11/2023 at 5:17 PM, kuzie57 said:

It is not an offence to hold 2 current passports from one country. I have 2 friends who hold 2 current passports from Australia.

Very true, the correct expression is "concurent" passport's.

Not uncommon in the offshore industry due to needing one one your person in case of cyclone or simillar evac to a country next door whilst your second copy is in a embassy getting visa stamped for the next overseas job.

On 2/11/2023 at 1:04 PM, paul1804 said:

It is not unusual or against the law in many countries to hold 2 passports issued by different countries, I presume these offenders have 2 passports issued by the same country which is an offence. 

It is not an offense, UK citizens can have 3 legal passports. if they can say why they need them?

• Like 1

On 2/12/2023 at 4:14 PM, Purdey said:

Getting very confused. Responses here are mentioning two passports of the same nationality. The article says two nationalities, which I thought means dual nationality. I was under the impression that dual nationality was now allowed. I remember former Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva explaining to Parliament that he had no intention of giving up his British passport. 

Then mention of overstay, which surely doesn't include Thai passport holders. No mention of illegal Thai passports.

Why don't you ask, Thaksin, Yinluck and the red bull kid if they hold more than one passport other than their Thai ones - and possibly thousand of others, including my wife and son. 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Puccini said:

I doubt very much that your wife "gave up her Thai passport in Australia". Most likely, she chose not to use her Thai passport any longer and when it expired she chose not to apply for a new one. This does not mean that she lost her Thai nationality and if she desires she can at any time apply for a new Thai passport, even 25 years after her last passport expired.

Correct. 

On 2/12/2023 at 12:14 PM, Purdey said:

I have Thai and British passports but I don't need any, unless I want to travel. 

To get a Thai passport, I needed to show my Thai ID card which is proof of citizenship. So many people questioned my citizenship because I didn't have a passport during Covid. 

The Thai nationality act says one Can choose to renounce the other citizenship when reaching 20.

When getting naturalized, you need to fill in a form saying you Intend to forfeit your original passport, but you don't need to. 

There are 1000s of Thais with multiple citizenship, many in influential government positions, so they are never going to change a Thai having dual citizenship. 

On 2/11/2023 at 8:38 AM, ubonr1971 said:

please educate me for the reason for this?

I have 2 British passports too. Its for visa reasons as I work in many different countries. 1 passport can be away getting a visa for the next country il be working in.