IB "Hidden Dragon" crackdown on foreigners with two passports - 3 Chinese on warrants, 19 on overstay

webfact

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Not entirely true. The UK revoked the citizenship of Shamima Begum, the Court of appeal overturned the decision but Supreme Court ruled against her and she remains stateless.

That's the case I had in mind.

I was unaware of the final outcome.

Is there anything ongoing re. her passport?

2 hours ago, paul1804 said:

It is not unusual or against the law in many countries to hold 2 passports issued by different countries, I presume these offenders have 2 passports issued by the same country which is an offence. 

I may be an offence here but I held two UK passports for 10 years quite legally, all you have to do is show a good reason for owning 2. Many northern Ireland residents own Uk and Irish passports and many people from commonwealth countries have Uk passports as well as from their own country.

1 minute ago, thaibreaker said:

I can. If you have a job that requires a lot of travelling, your passport may sometimes be caught up in the process of a visa, or such. That means you need a second passport to be available for you, in case you haven't got your first one back.

This is actually pretty common where I live. I believe all countries issue a second passport if it's needed for your work.

Indeed, contrary to popular belief some visas take a huge amount of time to obtain based on what I've heard. The more backward and third world the country the longer the process....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

That could depend on how they received their Thai ID in the first place? I think a lot of the ongoing crackdown stems from Chinese illegally receiving a Thai ID.
Are there ways that Thai citizenship once acquired could be forfeited for criminal behaviour? Though presumably there should be due process in that case? 

Yes there is, naturalised Thai's can have their citizenship revoked. 

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Seems strange that they have this love affair with China when so many are criminals.

It's the criminal element in Thailand who have a love affair with the criminal Chinese. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kuzie57 said:

It is not an offence to hold 2 current passports from one country. I have 2 friends who hold 2 current passports from Australia.

I stand to be corrected, seems a little strange why you would need 2 passport from the same country under the same name but obviously with the response its ok!!

7 minutes ago, paul1804 said:

I stand to be corrected, seems a little strange why you would need 2 passport from the same country under the same name but obviously with the response its ok!!

Numerous reasons such as politics (depending on the countries involved you may have issues if you've been to one or other previously), timelines ( if you have to travel a lot for business say, you can't afford to be without a passport for the time it takes for some visas to be issued) and of course a favourite of a cohort of people propping up bar stools around the world, their job CIA/MI6/ASIO/FSB etc. ????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, paul1804 said:

It is not unusual or against the law in many countries to hold 2 passports issued by different countries, I presume these offenders have 2 passports issued by the same country which is an offence. 

Yeah, it would be nice if the author of the piece were more specific about that.

8 hours ago, paul1804 said:

Do you mean a false identity?

I have held two US passports for some years, for visa purposes.

People would also have a Diplomatic, official or Military passport in addition to their personal passport. 

• Like 1

My 10 yrs validity UK "Jumbo" passport is almost full after just 2.5 yrs of use. Full-page visa's and random pages stamping makes for a 'poor use of space' scenario. I don't wish to have 2 valid passports at the same time but I'm being forced into it. Perhaps the slow arrival of e-visa's will help in  this respect.

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

Numerous reasons such as politics (depending on the countries involved you may have issues if you've been to one or other previously), timelines ( if you have to travel a lot for business say, you can't afford to be without a passport for the time it takes for some visas to be issued) and of course a favourite of a cohort of people propping up bar stools around the world, their job CIA/MI6/ASIO/FSB etc. ????

I put labels on my passports to remind me of which agency I'm working for on a particular trip. ????

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Nothing to do with having two passports. This is not a crime anyway. 

Maybe because they were focusing on a certain nationality and then realised that, although one had left with one passport, the same person came back on another passport...unnoticed

9 hours ago, paul1804 said:

I had two legal passports issued by the same Country for many years.  Used them both in and out of Thailand, as well as many other Countries.   I only needed to assure I was using the same passport for stamp in and out.  Was not a problem in Europe, Canada or USA, as you were processed electronically and they did not need to see a stamp out from another country. .   Had to Surender one passport , as I could not justify the re-issuance, when I retired.

12 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

That could depend on how they received their Thai ID in the first place? I think a lot of the ongoing crackdown stems from Chinese illegally receiving a Thai ID.
Are there ways that Thai citizenship once acquired could be forfeited for criminal behaviour? Though presumably there should be due process in that case? 

Thais were not allowed to have duel nationality last I heard or has that changed?

4 minutes ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Thais were not allowed to have duel nationality last I heard or has that changed?

Just try and stop another country from issuing a passport to a Thai citizen - they will only care about their law, Thai law doesn't come into it so they can have as many passports as they want.

What are they going to do about it?